4 year old's failed hearing test ♥Sue♥ 2 kids; Roswell, New Mexico 9061 posts
18th Feb '10

My son Ryan is 4 years old and goes to Preschool. Yesterday a note was sent home from his nurse saying he failed his hearing test has to be seen by an audiologist. He has never shown any signs of not being able to hear well. I called his doctor and they can't see him until Monday. I'm just curious as to why the test came out the way it did. He has had a lot of ear infections in his life and I really hope it hasn't done any permanent damage. He failed both ears at 4000 Hz @ 20 db and 1000 Hz @ 20 db, but passed both ears at 2000 Hz @ 20 db.

Does anyone have any experience with hearing screenings?

IDID-VBAC 12/09 2 kids; Alaska 44106 posts
18th Feb '10

I have no idea...McKenna failed two of them as a newborn, but it was because she still had fluid built up. She passed her third one...

♥ Crabigail's Mom 1 child; Tennessee 10841 posts
18th Feb '10

I failed mine as a child.... I remember it actually. I could hear the thing go off, but I was thinking in my mind "that was sooo quiet, that can't possibly be what I'm supposed to hear..." so I didn't raise my hand. Then when we went to the audiologist, he told me to raise my hand even if I heard something really really quiet. I passed that one, and everything was ok. lol.

♥Sue♥ 2 kids; Roswell, New Mexico 9061 posts
18th Feb '10
Quoting ♥ Briana {TJB}:
TM CPST Due July 25; 2 kids; Hi, TX, United States 10959 posts
18th Feb '10

I have a little hearing loss, my brother has a worse one though. I have no idea what those numbers mean but it could just be a slight hearing loss. I can hear anything but soft whispers.

18th Feb '10
Quoting Teagan's Mommy:
18th Feb '10
Quoting ♥Sue♥:
18th Feb '10
Quoting Teagan's Mommy:
18th Feb '10
Quoting ♥Sue♥:
Mama Rice 34 kids; North Las Vegas, Nevada 11980 posts
18th Feb '10

He could just have fluid buildup, my daughter failed numerous tests until she had tubes put in at 17 months and since she hasn't had a problem hearing anything since.

hattergirl 1 child; Tucson, Arizona 379 posts
18th Feb '10

my brother had chronic ear infections, was even born with one! he was technically deaf and they put the tubes in his ears. the tubes stayed in longer than we were told they would (they fall out on their own) and now he can hear fine just has a little trouble with speech that he saw a therapist for

.MaD.HatteR. 2 kids; Texas 8711 posts
18th Feb '10

If you have a small ear infection or wax build up you will fail.
Also, what kind of test was it? The computerized ones or the ones where it beeps and you raise your hand? If its the hand one, he is 4 , its possible he was not paying attention/ didn't raise his hand

18th Feb '10
Quoting hattergirl:
hattergirl 1 child; Tucson, Arizona 379 posts
18th Feb '10

my brother didnt fail his tests till he was in preschool and he was alert and moving to sounds as a baby it just got less and less and after he failed the test my mom stood behind him and called his name softly and got louder to see when he would hear her and turn twards her her way of making sure the test was right i guess. I know your lo will be just fine :D

18th Feb '10
Quoting .MaD.HatteR.: