9 MO old fell and is bleeding from mouth BoOm French Toast 2 kids; Massachusetts 11218 posts
8th Mar '10

Some how my 9 month old fell off the couch. I wasn't there, I was in the bathroom and she was with my SO. I heard her start to cry and then he started screaming.

So of course I ran out and he was holding her crying. He said she "belly flopped" off the couch onto the floor. I tried to calm them both down but once he saw she was bleeding from the mouth he started crying even more.

No idea how I was the calm one but yeah. It looks like she banged her incoming tooth off the floor, causing the bleeding. It was only a little bit of blood, but blood none the less. It also looks like she might have a bruise under her eye.

Should I go to the ER or what should I do? She's calm now but he's freaking out thinking she has brain damage and someone is going to think he abused her, IDK. Just being overly dramatic, which I can understand but it's not making the situation any better.

Any advice??? She's sitting right now watching cartoons with him, no longer crying, putting things in her mouth, etc.

*don't need the "no baby should be on the couch lecture". I already know this and I will give my SO a piece of my mind later, but he's in a state of panic/guilty and I don't want to make things worse*

......................... Santa Fe, New Mexico 46828 posts
8th Mar '10

Yes. Go to the ER. It sounds like she hit pretty hard.

ETA: I just read that she seems fine now. Just keep an eye on her.

Cam-Bam's Mama-Jam 1 child; Waterloo, New York 10992 posts
8th Mar '10

nvm I skipped over the part where you said she hit her mouth.

user banned 3 kids; Florence, South Carolina 39499 posts
8th Mar '10

did she tear the piece of skin that connects the lip to the gums? mine did that yesterday and it bled like crazy, but she was fine.

user banned 1 child; Boston, Massachusetts 30985 posts
8th Mar '10

Babies Fall.

Mouths bleed very easily.

She sounds fine now. I wouldnt worry.

You should talk to your husband about "crying" though.. That's pathetic.. Instead of trying to soothe and comfort his infant daughter he's bawling like a little b***h right along with her? Now THAT would piss me off.

BoOm French Toast 2 kids; Massachusetts 11218 posts
8th Mar '10
Quoting Baby Piss Head:
Ashley + 4! 36 kids; Valley Center, California 5198 posts
8th Mar '10

If she seems fine.. I dont see a need to take her to the ER babies fall and hit their heads all the time.

user banned 2 kids; Hamilton, Ontario 19220 posts
8th Mar '10

Do you guys have a health hotline thing you can call for medical advice?
Really the ER is for life and death...perhaps a phone call can let you know how serious this may be

Nomo 4 kids; Mueang Phuket, Thailand 30487 posts
8th Mar '10

unless its a deep gash im sure she is fine..
my daughter always runs and falls and gets her upper lip with her btotom teeth.
she bleeds for a bit but it goes away..
i wouldnt go to the er for a cut on the lip... unless it is an obvious gash that needs stitches..
other wise, just put a cold wash cloth on it to help with the swelling.. that is what my pedi said to do

Eric Jr.'s Mommy 34 kids; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 1322 posts
8th Mar '10

she probably just cut her gum with her tooth... that happened to my son a couple weeks ago... he wasnt on the couch though he was playing on the floor... i would just give her a teether to chew on or share a popsicle with her if you have any... shell probably be just fine

8th Mar '10
Quoting shes*almost*one!:
L and K's Mommy 2 kids; 2 angel babies; South Carolina 5732 posts
8th Mar '10

I am sure she is ok... look at her pupils and make sure they are responding to light. Is she acting any different or throwing up?

Timothy Hay 2 kids; Georgia 22783 posts
8th Mar '10
Quoting Baby Piss Head:
user banned 3 kids; Florence, South Carolina 39499 posts
8th Mar '10
Quoting andria.:
8th Mar '10
Quoting *Luke's Mommy*: