10 day old w/matted eye :( Kara Due February 4 (twins); 3 kids; Lakenheath, Na, United Kingdom 31903 posts
28th Mar '10

My babies have never been sick this little! I feel so bad for her :( I'm not even sure that she's "sick" but her eye keeps matting up and after waking from a nap she can barely open it. It just started today. I realize it could be either an infection or simply a clogged duct and we'll be getting her in tomorrow to see what's up.

For now, I just get a warm cloth and pat her eye to wipe it away.

Any of you mamas have this issue with your itty bitty one and it turned out to be nothing? I'm really hoping it's not an infection or anything sickly :(

Mweigel09 18 kids; Enumclaw, Washington 8490 posts
28th Mar '10

My daughter had that from day 1 it was a clogged tear duct. It went away after a couple months.

Jake and Ira's mommy:] 2 kids; Crestview, Florida 4958 posts
28th Mar '10

Both of mine had clogged ducks.
I was told to lightly pinch the bridge where on us we could feel our ducts opening.
and it went away after a while.

Mandy and her girls!~ 3 kids; Illinois 10867 posts
28th Mar '10

I would say clogged tear duct. Both of my daughters had it till they quite a few months old. Their eyes would water and everyone always thought they were crying.

Fabian's Mommy 1 child; Bradenton, Florida 5544 posts
28th Mar '10
Quoting Kara♥:
mandamarie♥ 2 kids; Ashtabula, Ohio 3621 posts
28th Mar '10
Quoting Kara♥:
Kara Due February 4 (twins); 3 kids; Lakenheath, Na, United Kingdom 31903 posts
28th Mar '10
Quoting Mweigel09:
little.miss.sunshine 1 child; New Mexico 11 posts
28th Mar '10

My LO had that. They said his tear ducts just wern't devloped yet. They showed me how to rub them to help and get all the mucus out and I would rub them everytime I fed him.
They also told me that his eyes wern't infected unless the whites of his eyes turned red.
Good Luck

r a b b i t ™ Somewhere, US, United States 27547 posts
28th Mar '10

My oldest had a clogged tear duct. This one has conjunctivitis so I've been on both ends of that one.

Gheordynn [CNL] 3 kids; Edmonton, Alberta 20462 posts
28th Mar '10

Oh, don't use a facecloth. It holds germs. Just use a cotton pad and sterile saline. It sounds likea clogged duct, nothing major. Just keep it clean.

Hope she feels better soon!

Gi Zah Gin Nano&yaya Due December 28 (boy); 2 kids; Minnesota 1551 posts
28th Mar '10
Quoting Kara♥:
28th Mar '10

Wow! So many clogged tear duct responses! That's very reassuring :) Thank you, ladies!

Her eye isn't red at all.. just a little bit of the outside (lid and underneath area) from the matting and such.

28th Mar '10
Quoting jomomma [CNL]:
Whitney Pie 2 kids; Catania, Italy 31982 posts
28th Mar '10

Squirt some breast milk in her eye. :D No lie, it works like a charm.

Brookleigh [♥] 2 kids; Fort d**k, 48957 posts
28th Mar '10

Brooklynn had baddd clogged tear ducts the first few months, she even had antibiotic cream for her eyes, warm cloth & squirt b**b milk in her eyes it works great :)