3 week old baby feeding schedule ~~A~~ Edmonton, Alberta 1099 posts
5th Jun '10

So last week she was pretty good feeding every 2 and a half to 3 hours, now it seems in the day its every hour and a half to 2 hours and at night evey 3-4 hours... problem is she usually only feeds on one breast and its no more then 10 minutes, usually about 5 minutes... the nurse says it should be 15 minutes per breast but she falls asleep after 10 minutes or just stops and is full. I have a pretty strong milk flow when I pump.. is it possible shes actually full and okay or should I try feeding her, rousing her a bit and doing the other breast? shes gaining weight at the pace the nurse said so Im not tooo worried but I want to make sure shes getting all she needs

GlowingTamra#2 Due September 5; 17 kids; Pennsylvania 12835 posts
5th Jun '10
Quoting julie.l.:
Mom2William&Michael 2 kids; 1 angel baby; New York 7600 posts
5th Jun '10
Quoting julie.l.:
GlowingTamra#2 Due September 5; 17 kids; Pennsylvania 12835 posts
5th Jun '10
Quoting julie.l.:
spacey mcpants TTC since Nov 2011; 252 kids; Beaufort, South Carolina 39646 posts
5th Jun '10

It's normal. Don't force her to eat. Let her nurse when she wants.

ObviousMom 1 child; Michigan 1982 posts
5th Jun '10

She will let you know when she's hungry. The nurses were so annoying after I had Zoey. She nursed on one side for over 30 minutes, as a newb :shock:, I think it was mostly comfort nursing though, and the nurse tweeked because she didn't use both sides. Just make sure you switch breasts for the next feeding and you should be fine with that.