17 Month Old Vocabulary Ashes[+4] 4 kids; Colorado 26994 posts
21st Aug '10

One of my friends has a son whom is 19 months, that says twice as much as my son. He's even putting sentences together. She said that he hasn't learned too many words since 17 months, and that she's pretty sure my son is behind with his vocabulary. Does anyone know what the average vocabulary for a 17 month old is?

These are the words he can say, does this sound normal? :?
Bup [aka cup]
More
Bite
Thank You
Poop
Hat
Potty
Cookie
Cracker
All Gone
More
Mine
No
Uh Oh
Hi
Hey
Bye
Daddy [and other variations of aka dada, dad, etc]
Mommy [and other variations of aka mama, mom, etc]

Material Mommy 2 kids; Kissimmee, Florida 51813 posts
21st Aug '10

alana is 18 months and she says all of that plus "i wanna go bye bye" "yo gabba gabba" "thats not nice" "juice" and instead of daddy she says "papi".

when my oldest was 18 months you could have a full blown conversation with her. she was considered above-average and my youngest is considered average. so, don't worry about it :)

GirlsHaveCOOTIES 3 kids; Minsk, Belarus 15331 posts
21st Aug '10

He sounds right on track...

My son says a LOAD of words... he's 16 months but considered "advanced"

Tracy Ann 3 kids; Michigan 20794 posts
21st Aug '10

I would say your sonis doing very well. Every kid is different. My friend's son barely said anything until he was about three. He actually skipped a grade & just graduated from high school this June with a full academic scholarship to an engineering school.

Ashes[+4] 4 kids; Colorado 26994 posts
21st Aug '10
Quoting Tracy Ann:
jaxons mommy (30 weeker) 1 child; Indiana 579 posts
21st Aug '10

My mil was telling me yesturday that my husband didnt say anything! Anything at all til about 20 months when his brother took a toyfrom him and he yelled clear as day "mom I had it first" lol she said her jaw hit the floor!

21st Aug '10
Quoting Q and Cals Mommy:
21st Aug '10
Quoting Jaxons Mommie:
21st Aug '10
Quoting Tracy Ann:
21st Aug '10
[Doe Eyed Dirty Lurker] 18 kids; noneya, TN, United States 3245 posts
21st Aug '10
21st Aug '10
Quoting [MomToBoog][dirtylurker]:
Telly Ipock 1 child; North Carolina 56 posts
21st Aug '10

My son is 18 month old now, but even 3 months ago he could say that kind of words. I made a website for him when he was 16 month old to help him review and keep track of the words he knows:
https://sites.google.com/site/tellysonlinelearningcentre/

Now he knows almost all the words in the flash cards (there are 250 cards, and I think he knows at least 200) in the website. He likes animals most so we have most animal words. By the way, he's bilingual too.

However, he doesn't know them all, e.g.
he can't count very well, he goes 1, 2, 4, 9, 10...
when he sings do re mi, he goes do, mi, fa, so...
he doesn't know the colors and shapes (I put those there so he can learn)
his ABCs are poor too (he only knows A, O, X, N, P)
his pronunciations are not great, a lot of time only I can understand, but I know he's saying the words.
he doesn't read or spell yet.
he doesn't have many sentences yet, only "mama eat", "ice cream please", and a couple others.