34 weeks NICU mama 2 preemies Due April 17; 2 kids; Richmond, Virginia 2700 posts
25th Aug '10

I know every baby is different and they all progress at their own rate, they are the ones that tell us what is wrong and what they need....but I am curious as to other mamas experiences
How long did your 34 weeker (or close) stay in the NICU?

My son was born at 34 weeks +2 days, he weighed 4lbs8oz and was 17" long. I had 2 steroid shots in my pregnancy. He is in the NICU now, it has been 5 days and he has come a long way. He was on the vent for 24 hours, then 30% oxygen and now he is at room air to 23%. He is feeding through a feeding tube, and has one successful bottle feed. He is regulating his temp great. He is def. progressing bit by bit, just at his pace.

♥Blondetourage 3 kids; FORT RILEY, Kansas 35907 posts
25th Aug '10

My 33 weeker had a 2 week NICU stay

mama 2 preemies Due April 17; 2 kids; Richmond, Virginia 2700 posts
25th Aug '10
Quoting 80s Barbie♥[LNF]:
25th Aug '10
Quoting Proud to be PRO-life:
25th Aug '10
Quoting 80s Barbie♥[LNF]:
4ever changed [+1] 15 kids; 46082 posts
25th Aug '10

I dont have answers mama
but I am going through the same thing atm
Im in the hospital on BR
and its good to hear that things are and can be handle really well :)
I want to say good luck with everything and I hope baby can come out of the NICU soon <3

25th Aug '10
Quoting Proud to be PRO-life:
See ya 18 kids; Florida 10612 posts
25th Aug '10

My 35 weeker did no NICU time... I'm sorry yours is having a hard time :(

My best friend's son was born at 34 weeks and was in the NICU for a week. Good luck and prayers!

BethMomma2Jack Due January 22; 18 kids; Virginia Beach, Virginia 266 posts
25th Aug '10

Garrett was born at 34 weeks I think the clinic put him down at 35 weeks because of his size and he was measuring ahead at 20 week u/s but according to 1st u/s and the fact I wasn't on leave yet for him to have been conceived and be 35 weeks he was definatley 34 the hospital and neonatologist also thought 34 , but he was bigger he was 6.15 and 19 3/4 and he had to be in stepdown nursurey for 26 hours but that was just to observe him becuase he was younger he went home with me though, unfortunatley now they are worried because he is almost 3 weeks old and not back up to his birtweight yet he lost a lb. within a week and is now up to 6.7 but still 8ozs away from bw

Love my boys! 2 kids; Florida 1914 posts
25th Aug '10

Im glad to hear that alot of your lo's didnt have to stay in the nicu for long, im gonna be 30 weeks on friday and ive been having alot of problems so we are hoping to atleast make it to 32 weeks but the doc says only time will tell. Im getting nst's and growth u/s's weekly to make sure hes ok until he gets here. I hope your lo gets out soon op!

Nunyeahbizz TTC since Sep 2013; 1 child; 2 angel babies; New Hampshire 5189 posts
25th Aug '10

My 34 weeker was 3 lbs 9 oz at birth and stayed in the NICU for 11 days. No feeding tubes or oxygen.

user banned 21 kids; North Dakota 3800 posts
26th Aug '10

My 34-weeker weighed 5 lbs, 15 oz. He was never on a vent, but he spent 4 weeks in the NIC-U. It really depends on the baby.

RaeHarley 2 kids; Grand Rapids, Michigan 546 posts
26th Aug '10

My 34 weeker was there for 6 days. It would have only been 4 days but jaundice made her stay a couple more days.

27th Aug '10

update: he has moved to an open top crib, the nasal cannula was taken out and he has been breathing on his own for almost an entire day. He regulates his temp well and over all seems to be doing well. All he needs to do now is eat! He is fed through the NG tube, and 2 of the feedings each day he is offered a bottle of 40ml. He is given 20 minutes to take it and whatever is left at the time is up, is put in the tube. So far the most he has done is 12ml. Im hoping he will pick it up soon, then we can go home! Today he is a week old :D

LauraMummyofThree 3 kids; Australia 1011 posts
27th Aug '10

He's doing very similarly to my daughter. she's 3 weeks old on Sunday and we brought her home on Tuesday. she was born at 34 weeks+2 days and spent one week in the NICU, then 9 days in the NICU Special Care Nursery. So was in hospital pretty much 2 and a half weeks. hang in there, he'll be home soon ;)