Reply
Chance of preemie again? *~Bubba Love~* Due December 12 (girl); 17 kids; North Charleston, South Carolina 1728 posts
16th Sep '10

I had my son at 36 weeks(barely a preemie i know but he was still considered one) due to my water breaking. I'm nowhere near ready to try again for another baby,but I'm jw, are my chances higher of having another preemie b/cof that? I was lucky with my son,he had only minor problems that didnt require a NICU stay.We had to stay a day extra but I got to stay too so he still got to come home with me. but I'm terrified of having another preemie that might not be so lucky..

Kyrie ♥'s Monkeys 2 kids; why, az, United States 52117 posts
16th Sep '10

There's generally an increased risk after one premature birth. There are a few things you can do to help though. My son was a 36 weeker (late term preemie) as well and only needed an extra day thankfully.



I waited 18 months to get pregnant again so my body could have the best possible chance to heal and be ready for another pregnancy. I've taken precautions, like having my cervix monitored, and taking it easy my whole pregnancy. I put myself on a mild bedrest so I never over do it.
I did start going into early labor at 30 weeks like I did with my son but through managing my pregnancy better I'm now 33 weeks only contracting irregularly, barely 1cm and 50% ad have great odds of making it to term this time.

*~Bubba Love~* Due December 12 (girl); 17 kids; North Charleston, South Carolina 1728 posts
16th Sep '10
Quoting Kyrie ♥'s Monkeys:
Kyrie ♥'s Monkeys 2 kids; why, az, United States 52117 posts
16th Sep '10
Quoting *~Jenn&Noah~*:
See ya 18 kids; Florida 10612 posts
16th Sep '10
Quoting Kyrie ♥'s Monkeys:
Kamar09 Due December 4 (boy); TTC since Jan 2014; 49 kids; 3 angel babies; Lansing, Michigan 10152 posts
16th Sep '10

My dr said after having a preemie from PPROM there is an 80% chance the next pregnancy will go fine. Still scary though having a 20% chance.

Momof210 TTC since Jun 2013; 18 kids; New Jersey 4923 posts
16th Sep '10

my first was 36 weeks my 2nd was 32 weeks . i believe i have a incomp cervix . my doctor did not watch me close enough

Kyrie ♥'s Monkeys 2 kids; why, az, United States 52117 posts
16th Sep '10
Quoting PO-PO:
Henrik'smom 1 child; British Columbia 332 posts
16th Sep '10
Quoting Kyrie ♥'s Monkeys:
Henrik'smom 1 child; British Columbia 332 posts
16th Sep '10

Were you given a reason why your membranes ruptured? It could be due to a structural problem with the uterus; and incompetent cervix; an infection or inflammation; or no known reason.



The chance for a repeat pPROM is 10 to 25 percent. You should read through my thread "TTC after pPROM" or Jessica's "no subject".

*~Bubba Love~* Due December 12 (girl); 17 kids; North Charleston, South Carolina 1728 posts
16th Sep '10
Quoting Henrik'smom:
Henrik'smom 1 child; British Columbia 332 posts
17th Sep '10

Also, since you have had one preemie the chances go up for having another and it does not need to be due to pPROM. Having a previous preemie is one of the biggest risk factors for having another.

Garretts momma.usmc wife 17 kids; Jacksonville, North Carolina 254 posts
17th Sep '10

i think it depends on the reason for your child being early...whether it be i/c, prom, infection..ect some things can be avoided like infection and stress, but others such as i/c cant really.,...my dr told me my chances of having another preemie is very high since ive had ne still-born micro preemie and one 33wkr. but everyone is different.

Henrik'smom 1 child; British Columbia 332 posts
17th Sep '10
Quoting garretts mommy:
Garretts momma.usmc wife 17 kids; Jacksonville, North Carolina 254 posts
19th Sep '10

not all cerclages hold..i had two put in, one at the top on at the bottom and i blew thru the first and my cervix was .5cm & i was dilate 1 1/2. so it doesnt always hold for everyone...i already know that pprom cant be prevented and if the infection is bad enough it cant either, my first son died because of a infection wasnt caught early on.