32-36 week preemie NICU stay Avelynn & Irelynn's Mommy 18 kids; Rockton, Illinois 780 posts
18th Oct '10

I have been admitted twice this past weekend due to pre-term labor due to a fall Friday night. I was just curious how long of a NICU stay your little one had if they were born between 32-36 weeks gestation?

My first daughter was born at 31w3d due to Pre-E and and she was IUGR. She was in the NICU for 1 month and 2 days. The chances of me making it to term are very unlikely due to the pre-term labor and my chances of developing Pre-E again so I was just wondering the average length of stay for babies born between 32-36 weeks.

Thanks ladies!

2+Brynn+Irelynn♥ 2 kids; Belton, Texas 29943 posts
18th Oct '10

My 35 weeker spent 7 days in the NICU. Her lungs weren't fully developed.

CerealMakerWife♥ TTC since Apr 2013; 5 kids; Ukraine 36287 posts
18th Oct '10

Aydin was 35 weeks and no NICU stay. He went home with me.

*Amo a Mis Nenas* 3 kids; Birmingham, Alabama 8838 posts
18th Oct '10

umm. i know my friends 31 week preemie son only stayed 4 weeks...

i think it all depends on the baby...

user banned 50 kids; Ohio 5802 posts
18th Oct '10

My 36 weeker spent 4 hours in the NICU, mainly for observation. She was fine :)

Phallus Cranium cocksuck, LA, Sri Lanka 108882 posts
18th Oct '10

33 weeks= 3.5 weeks NICU
36 weeks= 0

Good luck!

D+S+G= ♥ 1 child; Alaska 29971 posts
18th Oct '10

My husbands aunt had her son at 35 weeks he didnt stay in NICU at all he left the hospital with her 2 days after birht

*WishingUponAStar* 2 kids; 4 angel babies; Lawton, Oklahoma 18442 posts
18th Oct '10

My bil's 33 weekers spent 2 weeks in the NICU.

Avelynn & Irelynn's Mommy 18 kids; Rockton, Illinois 780 posts
18th Oct '10
Quoting 2+Brynn+Irelynn♥:
2+Brynn+Irelynn♥ 2 kids; Belton, Texas 29943 posts
18th Oct '10
Quoting Avelynn & Irelynn's Mommy:
A$h13y 2 kids; Okawville, Illinois 4901 posts
18th Oct '10

You know...this is probably dumb on my part...but I think that there are alot of babies that are actually off by the 2 weeks that your gestation could be. Because some babies are born at 38 weeks and have 0 problems (like a 40 week baby) and some 38 week babies appear to have lung issues (like a 36 week old baby). I don't think I'm wording it correctly.....but maybe everyone will understand. I had my son at 36 weeks....I tried telling my dr for a long time that I thought I was farther along than he had though...but he said no. I went into labor at 36 weeks and he stopped it saying that he may not have strong enough lungs. I ended up in the hospital 2 days after my labor was stopped because I was so sick. They had to induce me because of how sick I was. When he came out...even the pedi asked if my due date was correct because he looked full term. I guess the moral of the story is....it's really hard to compair 2 pre-term babies *whew* sorry! kinda long

Taryn - Anya's mommy 2 kids; 1 angel baby; Toronto, Ontario 49462 posts
18th Oct '10

My oldest was born at 35 weeks, she spent 2 weeks in the hospital, but thats because she got stuck during delivery and inhaled some amniotic fluid, and she got a slight case of pneumonia and then she got jaundice, but her lungs were fully mature, due to me getting steroid shots.

Avelynn & Irelynn's Mommy 18 kids; Rockton, Illinois 780 posts
18th Oct '10
Quoting A$h13y:
Punk_Barbie 2 kids; Texas 2884 posts
18th Oct '10

I went into early labor after a small small fender bender with my first at 34 weeks...they told me a good guess was to say most babies stay untill there actuall due date...luckily with bed rest and meds I kept her in untill 38 weeks.

The whore of Babylon 1 child; Harrison, Ohio 0 posts
18th Oct '10

I had my baby 11 days late but I was born at 33 weeks and was only in NICU for the first night but had to stay for 8 days unitl i got back up to my birth weight. I hope everything goes well!