2 year old and cry it out? Momlette of 3 Due December 25 (girl); 3 kids; Ohio 25513 posts
30th Oct '10

My daughter is goign through a phase where whenever I leave her room she screams bloody murder. She'll only sleep in her bed if I'm laying on the floor next to her. I'm getting TIRED of sleeping on a floor lol Do you believe that practicing cry it out with a 2 year old is bad? I always worry shes going to think I'm leaving her or dont care about her or something :(

TheAirForceEXWife 2 kids; Texas 30826 posts
30th Oct '10

I did CIO with both of mine around 5-6 months. So no, I don't think its bad. lol.

3 little monsters 3 kids; Olathe, Colorado 50990 posts
30th Oct '10

Part of that is anxiety and the rest manipulation, LOL. What I would do is lay her down and leave the room. Check on her often, lay her back down, reassure her but continue to leave the room afterward. It'll take a few days but she'll get the picture. She will know you haven't gone anywhere but that you aren't going to lay on the floor anymore.

¡VinHaute! Memphis, Tennessee 44964 posts
30th Oct '10

Ignoring tantrums good is a behavior modification technique for toddlers. As long as you come in every once in awhile for a reinforcement, so she doesn't go hysterical, she'll eventually learn that no you aren't abandoning her but that it's simply time to go to sleep.

Momlette of 3 Due December 25 (girl); 3 kids; Ohio 25513 posts
30th Oct '10
Quoting 3 little monsters:
Mama Rogers 2 kids; Georgia 15187 posts
30th Oct '10

If you do it, you can't give in. I practice "whine it out" and I definitely ignore tantrums, but at night when he cries (he always says he's scared), I just try to talk to him, tuck him in, make him feel safe. He does cry when I leave the room, and if he cries longer then 10 minutes, I'll go in and talk to him again. That usually doesn't happen though - he is usually quiet within a few minutes. However, my son is very verbal and can express his needs, wants, and feelings well. So I know when he really needs something because he'll tell me. A less verbal child may not know how to express what he/she wants, and therefore their crying can't be as easily ignored.

30th Oct '10
Quoting
Ivana, VBA2C success! 3 kids; Aurora, Colorado 6834 posts
30th Oct '10

I did CIO with my toddler. She got the picture within a week. it was hard, but now when she does try to cry at bedtime, I say goodnight through the door and she quiets within a minute! at that age they are old enough to manipulate you which is where tantrums and such come in. just explain to her it is bedtime and you will see her in the morning, good night. and leave. it will be hard at first to hear her cry and even when they say "mama" so pleadingly, but they are only doing it to get their way.

30th Oct '10
Quoting mamacj:
30th Oct '10
Quoting mamacj:
30th Oct '10
Quoting Momlette:
30th Oct '10
Quoting Ivana♥Gabriella: