19 month old learning alphabet Sunshine0302 1 child; North Carolina 4777 posts
7th Nov '10

My daughter can sing the alphabet up to letter E. She can point out and say over half of the letters. We were watching Blues Clues last night and they were doing letters and she kept pointing and yelling out the correct letter (most of the time). Is this normal? I just don't wanna be one of those moms who thinks her kid's a prodigy (I know we all do lol). I just find it pretty amazing that she's caught on so fast. She knows 5 colors as well. Is this on track developmentally? I can't find anything in regards to the alphabet and toddlers. What's your 19-20 month old doing? I know it does no good comparing because kids excel in different areas, I'm just curious :D

ma ♥ 1 child; California 63053 posts
7th Nov '10

My son is almost 19 months & can't do any of that.

Sploj 2 kids; Tennessee 1272 posts
7th Nov '10
Quoting Buggy's Mama:
Nastassja Makennah's mom TTC since Jun 2011; 1 child; Pittsfield, Maine 7784 posts
7th Nov '10

makennah will be 19 months tuesday and i think she is also super advanced

she does colors and counting..

not her alphabet but she has a very good vocab but prefers counting to her alphabet.

but i think it is advanced some ive done some research on it

*B*~ Mommy~ 1 child; Jackson, Missouri 7422 posts
7th Nov '10

I think girls are just smarter then most boy, or atleast more vocal with it

My son points at some stuff like colors, objects, shapes and what not when I ask but hes not so great at saying any of it. So i know hes gettin the jest of it just not able to say it.

Sunshine0302 1 child; North Carolina 4777 posts
7th Nov '10
Quoting ma ♥:
7th Nov '10
Quoting Isla'sMom HBAC Hopeful:
7th Nov '10
Quoting Nastassja Makennah's mom:
7th Nov '10
Quoting Buggy's Mama:
7th Nov '10
7th Nov '10
Quoting Buggy's Mama:
7th Nov '10
Sophia's Mommy♥ 1 child; Hollywood, Florida 10160 posts
7th Nov '10

My daughter is 20 months and she sings the alphabet along with me, missing a few letters lol, but if I say a letter she can usually say what letter comes after. She knows about 7 colors, can count to 10, sings twinkle twinkle little star, the Barney song, sings along to some songs on the radio... She knows +20 people by their names, can point out tons of objects and animals and knows what sounds a dog, cat, pig, cow and monkey make :)

SavageDarling 3 kids; Webster, Massachusetts 10381 posts
7th Nov '10

thats awesome! its good to start them early.
we started just talking about latters and using flash cards and stuff when my son was a few months old and by the time he was 18 months he could accurately identify all the letters and all numbers up to 20. he is almost 4 now and is reading and spelling some things. its really important to get them loving that kind of stuff early on.

Mz.Momz® 1 child; Bergenfield, New Jersey 2136 posts
7th Nov '10
Quoting Buggy's Mama: