16, Applying for medicaid? DEK Due October 25; Washington 18 posts
3rd Jan '11

Hello, I'm 16 going on 17 in February. I live in VA (Virginia) and I took my daughter to the hospital during december cause she was sick and now we have a bill for it. I'm unable to pay it full on. And we're currently going through the process of her med insurance. We were suppose to have it done in November but was unable. You see, my step dad is in the military and we were going to do a legal guardianship so that she can get free insurance. But turns out that they cant do that so were shooting for a joint custody so that my daughter can get the care she needs without us having to pay. We have to go through court and etc before she can get on his military insurance. But for now she isnt on any kind of insurance. I got the papers for medicaid but I was wondering do you have to be 18 to apply for medicaid? I was told by my boyfriends mother that I had to be but I wasnt quite sure. And do you know how long will it take so that she'll be covered if she is accepted? HELP please! The bill is pretty high, and if I can get on medicaid theyll cover it. Would really appreciate some help!

Please and Thank You!

nutmeg. California 22281 posts
3rd Jan '11

I have no clue but just fyi, they will set up a pymt plan with you with no interest.
They will literally take $50/month if that's all you can afford. Hospitals are wonderful at working with people.

B) 1 child; San Diego, California 12049 posts
3rd Jan '11

I don't know how old you have to be.. but to get medicaid is a one day process. you'll be on traditional medicaid first then they'll have you choose what insurance plan you want

Brightside 2 kids; Bald Knob, Arkansas 58130 posts
3rd Jan '11

idk how different states do it but here you can apply as long as youre 16 and have a child or pregnant. but idk how it works other places :(

Em's Mom Due August 12; 1 child; Salt Lake City, Utah 16530 posts
3rd Jan '11

I dont think you have to be 18 to apply especially if you're applying for your child.

-A- Due October 22; 1 child; Pearl City, Hawaii 1341 posts
3rd Jan '11

I'm 15 and I got Medicaid without havin a guardian but if you live with your mom then she has to sign for you.

DEK Due October 25; Washington 18 posts
3rd Jan '11

Thanks! I hope Virginia's required age is 16 too because we're definitely not loaded with cash.

Riley+3 Due June 5; 18 kids; Washington 638 posts
3rd Jan '11
Quoting Em's Mom:
-A- Due October 22; 1 child; Pearl City, Hawaii 1341 posts
4th Jan '11

<blockquote><b>Quoting Green Testicle:</b>“ :!::!: If you were applying for yourself, you would need your parent. But since it's for your daughter, you don't need to be.”</blockquote>

I applied for my self and i didn't need my parent

4th Jan '11
Quoting -amandaa:
MAMA 0F 2.. 2 kids; Wheeling, Illinois 231 posts
4th Jan '11

i got medicaid without my parents. im on moms and babies and im going to get all kids later on since ill just switch it. I applied myself and im 18. i dont live with my parents though but it was an easy process lol. under state insurance in illinois im considered a kid until im 19. if thats true i still got it lol.

4th Jan '11
Quoting Christina[TEAM BLUE!):
Ashlyn & Mr.Chubbs 1 child; Texas 285 posts
4th Jan '11
Quoting DEK:
MAMA 0F 2.. 2 kids; Wheeling, Illinois 231 posts
5th Jan '11
Quoting Green Testicle:
5th Jan '11
Quoting Christina[TEAM BLUE!):