24 weeks, cramps/contractions? Mrs. Uncouth 3 kids; 4 angel babies; Milford, Delaware 7352 posts
16th Mar '11

I've been having pretty ughhh cramps/contractions since Saturday. I went in to see my doc on Monday, and without checking anything but the baby's heart rate, he told me I was dehydrated and to drink more. He ordered an abdominal ultrasound which apparently looked okay, as far as I know.

There are times, like on Saturday night, they seem to come in spaces like contractions and can be pretty painful, like first-day-period-cramps. Then there are times my belly just feels as hard as a rock.

And now I'm tired and feeling worn down. I've almost peed myself a few times from all the water I've been drinking. Headaches and lightheadedness are coming and going - but again, that's to be expected with pregnancy, in general. But any time I get up and move around the cramps start to come back. And that's a problem because I work in a doctor's office - my job requires movement.

I'm just stuck. I don't know if I should be concerned... I just don't remember feeling this way with my last pregnancy. I'm also having a lot of trouble staying asleep and going back to sleep at night.

My OB's office is probably tired of hearing from me... I feel rather reluctant to call, and I'm not sure I can take any more time off work. (I missed last Thursday for routine appts, Monday afternoon for that fit-in appt, and yesterday afternoon for the ultrasound.)

I'm also aware that there are some people who just experience more and more pain and discomfort with each pregnancy and wondering if that might be the culprit as well.

Anybody with similar experiences? If it keeps up, I'm probably just gonna call or go to the ER tonight.

......Redhead......... 19 kids; Mississippi 26624 posts
16th Mar '11

I've had a lot of cramps also, with this pregnancy.

As long as you aren't spotting, then you are probably ok.
My dr advised me to drink two huge glasses of ice water, take 2 tylenol and 1 benadryl.

When you're working, its hard to relax, I know I'm a working mom too.
But do it as often as you can.

MacBeth75 Due February 17 (girl); 33 kids; Kure Beach, North Carolina 2857 posts
16th Mar '11
Quoting ......Redhead.........:" I've had a lot of cramps also, with this pregnancy. As long as you aren't spotting, then you are probably ... [snip!] ... and 1 benadryl. When you're working, its hard to relax, I know I'm a working mom too. But do it as often as you can."

I've been feeling the same exact way for the past few days and I have yet to hear back from the docs. This is really good advice! I've been drinking cold water but not ice water and I didn't even think of taking Tylenol. I'm gonna try this. Only thing that helped me yesterday was to drink lots of water, lay on my left side and go to bed early. I felt better this morning but the more I get up and move around, the more the cramping comes back. Thanks for the advice Redhead and I hope you're feeling better soon, mama! You're not alone :(

Mrs. Uncouth 3 kids; 4 angel babies; Milford, Delaware 7352 posts
16th Mar '11

Phew.

Okay. I feel less crazy (:

I can't do Benadryl lol, at least not til I get home. It literally knocks me OUT. But I'ma snag a Tylenol, I think, and keep chugging water.

Anybody else sit down for an extended period of time and then have trouble standing cuz it feels like the bean is burrowed deep in your pelvis?

Sheeeesh. Lol.

MacBeth75 Due February 17 (girl); 33 kids; Kure Beach, North Carolina 2857 posts
16th Mar '11
Quoting LexyNay+Bean♥ [7/2]:" Phew. Okay. I feel less crazy (: I can't do Benadryl lol, at least not til I get home. It literally ... [snip!] ... period of time and then have trouble standing cuz it feels like the bean is burrowed deep in your pelvis? Sheeeesh. Lol."

I'm so glad you posted this cause I was starting to think I was crazy myself! I have been drinking water like crazy and worried to death that something bad was gonna happen to me at any minute. It feels like the baby is right on top of my cervix opening, kinda scary. He's moving around though and I've had no bleeding so I guess it's just growing pains. Thank you for making me feel less crazy too!!!!!

16th Mar '11
Quoting MacBeth75:" I'm so glad you posted this cause I was starting to think I was crazy myself! I have been drinking water ... [snip!] ... around though and I've had no bleeding so I guess it's just growing pains. Thank you for making me feel less crazy too!!!!!"

Lol you're welcome... I just wish he would stop it cuz he IS making me nervous. But no spotting, so I'm happy about that. Ughhh I'm so ready for July tho!! LOL.

......Redhead......... 19 kids; Mississippi 26624 posts
16th Mar '11
Quoting MacBeth75:" I've been feeling the same exact way for the past few days and I have yet to hear back from the docs. ... [snip!] ... more the cramping comes back. Thanks for the advice Redhead and I hope you're feeling better soon, mama! You're not alone :("

You are very welcome!
I hope the cramping stops for you as well. It can be painful, on top of worrying if something is wrong.
But, its a normal thing to have some cramping.
So take it as easy as you can :)

16th Mar '11

I took 2 tylenol, 2 glasses of ice water and a nice warm shower. Feeling a little better now. Thanks so much cause it's really helping me not to freak out so much! He's so low it feels like I'm carrying around a pool ball or something. I can feel him thumping away so at least one of us is comfy and happy! And mama, I can't wait til July gets here either! Part of me wants to slow down and enjoy this part though cause it's gonna get more and more uncomfortable from here on out and July = LABOR!!!!

Signing Off........ Pennsylvania 21507 posts
16th Mar '11

With my daughter (at 25 weeks)I had contractions and bleeding, all due to dehydration...it's no joke that's for sure. I was told to drink 16 glasses of water a day :shock: and light bedrest. She didn't arrive until 40 weeks on the dot so it worked.

Nothing that bad with my son, but 2nd, 3rd, etc pregnancies I swear are harder than 1st ones.

Hang in there!

Hayden and Autumn Mommy 3 kids; Montgomery City, Missouri 20 posts
16th Mar '11

I know how you feel. I am 23 weeks along and I have been having painful cramps since Friday. I also had a bit of spotting on Friday and a ton of discharge on Monday that was almost like water. My doctor told me yesterday he sure they are contractions. So he did a internal ultrasound on my cervix and it is still long. He put me on procardia for the contractions. Just my luck I cant get the procardia till tomorrow and my cramps are getting worse with some pressure. I cant wait for July to get here. Good luck and hopefully our doctors can get these cramps under control.

Jerseyxo 2 kids; Chesapeake, Virginia 11241 posts
17th Mar '11

lol so THIS is what you meant by your hottie hurts!! lol <3

mom to 2 beautiful preemi 2 kids; Missouri 441 posts
17th Mar '11

i have the same problems except i am also getting cramps in legs feet and arms, i felt like i was being stabbed and my stomach gets tight and hard and i get a lot of pressure. i was told it was ligament pain and dehydration, the leg cramps they said are normal as long as they go away and dont persist and as long as i can walk and my leg isn't swollen, bright red or the area isn't really hot then its ok to have the leg and arm cramps.my new ob said the more pregnancies you have the more noticeable the lil pains are and the more ppl get worried because they didnt know what to look for with the first or even realize anything, i feel more pain this time than i did with my first specially in my legs

28th Mar '11
Quoting KJzinger{30+}:" With my daughter (at 25 weeks)I had contractions and bleeding, all due to dehydration...it's no joke ... [snip!] ... so it worked. Nothing that bad with my son, but 2nd, 3rd, etc pregnancies I swear are harder than 1st ones. Hang in there!"

SIXTEEN GLASSES?!!!!!!!!!

Okay I know I'm way late and wrong but SERIOUSLY?!?!?!!!!!

28th Mar '11
Quoting The Nazi:" lol so THIS is what you meant by your hottie hurts!! lol <3"

:wink: