16 month old with a fever RiannaRock 2 kids; Long Beach, CA, United States 8417 posts
26th Apr '11

My 16month old son has had a fever all day long. This morning it was 100.4 and I just assumed it was from teething since he has teeth comming through. But throughout the day it just kept getting higher and now it is at 103.3
He keeps crying and whining like he is in pain and miserable :[
He has never had a temperagture this high before. Should I make him an appt first thing in the morning if the fever is still lingering by then? Do I call the doctor tonight if I cant keep the fever down?

mommy of an angel. California 2186 posts
26th Apr '11

- not sure but i just wanted to say i hope your little guy feels better soon

EmmaGrace 3 kids; Ennis, Texas 27010 posts
26th Apr '11

Have you tried increasing fluids and keeping a damp cloth on his head/chest?

CantWaitForCambria 1 child; Sierra Vista, Arizona 2628 posts
26th Apr '11

give him some tylenol or motrin to see if the fever breaks.....if not I would take him in tonight. A fever that high means his body is fighting of some form of infection...which si good..his body recognizes that somethings not right...and babies can withstand higher temperatures than adults...but a temp that high for too long is never good.

best of luck mama!

Jordan & Liliana's Mommy 2 kids; 4 angel babies; Fort Belvoir, Virginia 11135 posts
26th Apr '11

my son had a fever at 16 months of 105 after meds so we took him to the hospital. The doctors told us it was an ear infection and to bring him back only if his fever was 103-104.

T♥B♥A 3 kids; 1 angel baby; Denver, CO, United States 12590 posts
26th Apr '11

talon just had a fever too last week :( we gave him luke warm baths and tylenol and it eventually went down.. hope he feels better

RiannaRock 2 kids; Long Beach, CA, United States 8417 posts
26th Apr '11
Quoting EmmaGrace:" Have you tried increasing fluids and keeping a damp cloth on his head/chest? "

Yeah I have been keeping a sippy of cold water near him all day long and I tried putting a damp cloth on him and he just screamed at me and threw it at my face
:[ He is so miserable with this fever

26th Apr '11

Know that tylenol/motrin can extend the illness. The fever is doing a job...which is fighting the infection. If you interfere with this process, you can make it get worse since the body will respond by upping it's attempt to raise the core temperature.

26th Apr '11
Quoting RiannaRock:" Yeah I have been keeping a sippy of cold water near him all day long and I tried putting a damp cloth ... [snip!] ... I tried putting a damp cloth on him and he just screamed at me and threw it at my face :[ He is so miserable with this fever"

:( Poor baby. I would put a little juice in the water to get him to drink a little more...preferably freshly squeezed, but packaged will do the trick as well. The juice will also offer vitamin C which will help him fight off the infection. I usually give juice diluted by 50% during illness to up fluid intake as well as vit C.

26th Apr '11
Quoting CantWaitForCambria:" give him some tylenol or motrin to see if the fever breaks.....if not I would take him in tonight. A ... [snip!] ... babies can withstand higher temperatures than adults...but a temp that high for too long is never good. best of luck mama!"

Yeah we just gave him some tylenol after his temp read 103. We gave him a lukewarm bath and now he is munching on some frozen fruit. Hopefully the fever will go down soon. But my mom just mentioned she noticed he may have been pulling on his ears alot more the past couple days. He likes to pretend he is talking on the phone allll the time, sometimes he holds his toys to his ears or just puts his hand on his ear and says "Hello" over and over so I just figured he was playing telephone like always. Now I cant tell if he was playing or in pain when he covered his ears :[

26th Apr '11
Quoting EmmaGrace:" :( Poor baby. I would put a little juice in the water to get him to drink a little more...preferably ... [snip!] ... will help him fight off the infection. I usually give juice diluted by 50% during illness to up fluid intake as well as vit C."

He doesnt drink juice. We have tried giving it to him before and he just gags and refuses to drink it. He loves plain ol water though and has been drinking alot of it today which is good.

26th Apr '11
Quoting RiannaRock:" He doesnt drink juice. We have tried giving it to him before and he just gags and refuses to drink it. He loves plain ol water though and has been drinking alot of it today which is good."

Frozen fruit, like you mentioned, is even better. If you really think it's an ear infection, try a salt sock. Warm up some salt in a pan until it is very, very warm. Pour it into a sock. Tie up the end with a rubber band and double sock it to prevent it from burning. Place the sock under the suspicious ear when he's laying down. The salt will draw out any infection and the heat will alleviate pain. Hope he feels better soon!

26th Apr '11
Quoting EmmaGrace:" Frozen fruit, like you mentioned, is even better. If you really think it's an ear infection, try a salt ... [snip!] ... ear when he's laying down. The salt will draw out any infection and the heat will alleviate pain. Hope he feels better soon!"

Yeha the frozen fruit also seems to be putting him in a better mood too so Ill keep up with that. And Ill try the salt sock. Thanks you so much for the help! :D