Or is it the same?
I need examples.
PLEASE dont quote.
I think they can be the same imo.
I think emotional abuse is the worst of the two
I think emotional abuse would be more of a long term, controlling, verbal abuse issue
where as verbal abuse could be a huge fight that gets blows out of proportion.
But that's just how I view it.
Take a moment to consider these questions. Your partner might have behaved as though these things were okay, even though it's obvious that they aren't okay...:
Do you feel that you can't discuss with your partner what is bothering you?
Does your partner frequently criticize you, humiliate you, or undermine your self-esteem?
Does your partner ridicule you for expressing yourself?
Does your partner isolate you from friends, family or groups?
Does your partner limit your access to work, money or material resources?
Has your partner ever stolen from you? Or run up debts for you to handle?
Does your relationship swing back and forth between a lot of emotional distance and being very close?
Have you ever felt obligated to have sex, just to avoid an argument about it?
Do you sometimes feel trapped in the relationship?
Has your partner ever thrown away your belongings, destroyed objects or threatened pets?
Are you afraid of your partner?
Characteristics of Emotionally Abused People
- Can only guess at what healthy behavior is.
- Have trouble completing things
- Lie when they don't need to. Lying might have been a survival tactic in the home. (She explains that perhaps the child learned from parents who lied to cover up problems or avoid conflict. Or simply to avoid harsh punishment, or to get needed attention. But as an adult, that tactic is no longer appropriate.)
- Judge themselves without mercy.
- Have trouble accepting compliments.
- Often take responsibility for problems, but not successes.
- Or they go to the other extreme and refuse to take any responsibility for mistakes while trying to take credit for the work of others.
- Have trouble having fun since their childhoods were lost, stolen, repressed.
- Take themselves very seriously or not seriously at all.
- Have difficulty with intimate relationships.
- Expect others to just "know what they want." (They can't express it because they were so often disappointed as children that they learned to stop asking for things.)
- Over-react to things beyond their control.
- Constantly seek approval & affirmation.
- Feel different from others.
- Are extremely loyal, even when facing overwhelming evidence that their loyalty is undeserved.
- Are either super responsible or super irresponsible.
- Tend to lock themselves into a course of action without giving serious consideration to alternative behaviors or possible consequences. (This impulsiveness leads to confusion, self-loathing, and loss of control over their environment. The result is they spend much energy blaming others, feeling victimized and cleaning up messes.)
Not all emotional abuse is verbal, but much of it is. So there's an overlap, but emotional abuse can include more than just verbal abuse.
Quoting Lily'sMama♥[BFT]:" Or is it the same? I need examples. OH. PLEASE dont quote."
to me they normally play hand and hand
hmmmm.... thanks girls.
Quoting Emet (Team Pink):" I think emotional abuse is the worst of the two I think emotional abuse would be more of a long term, ... [snip!] ... abuse issue where as verbal abuse could be a huge fight that gets blows out of proportion. But that's just how I view it."
I'd rather be slapped then some of the things I've had said to me, TBH.
Quoting God:" Signs you're being emotionally abused http://www.lilaclane.com/relationships/emotional-abuse/ Take ... [snip!] ... their environment. The result is they spend much energy blaming others, feeling victimized and cleaning up messes.) C."
after reading all those signs ..
god damn my BD is an abusive fuck & i know this , but after reading all the signs & more stuff .. it just hits me.
Quoting Ghetto is not fabulous:" after reading all those signs .. god damn my BD is an abusive fuck & i know this , but after reading all the signs & more stuff .. it just hits me."
........ most of them are like my SO too...........