3 week old not eating much Giada's Mama {EBFB} 1 child; New Jersey 2199 posts
19th May '11

Giada just turned 3 weeks old today. she isnt eating very much like she usually does. shes eating less then 10 minutes on one side and then dozing off.
she ate pretty much all day yesterday
is this normal for breastfed babies?
i think im just being paranoid:/

Mi'chell Petrie 34 kids; Deep River, Iowa 958 posts
19th May '11

My LO use to always doze off while she was eating, but would wake up not too long later to keep eating. And that was on a bottle. I think a lot of babies do, though at first.

Summer lovin' 2 kids; Michigan 57412 posts
19th May '11

Some babies sleep a lot during growth spurts. Also they get more efficient at getting milk quickly. Ten minutes is fine if she's having six wet diapers a day. It really sounds like a growth spurt. Yesterday she was telling your body to make more. Today it is so she just needs a quick nursing, she's full and sleeps so she can grow :)

Clk 2 kids; Dexter, Michigan 11944 posts
19th May '11

Could be starting or ending a growth spurt. Our daughter always slept more during growth spurts. Also she sleeps on breast a lot. Your breast are probably regulating milk too, hence your engorgement will go away. They have very tiny bellies at that age as well. Just keep feeding on demand, as long as there are enough wet diapers no worries.

Natalie & Nolan{EBF} 18 kids; Burlington, North Carolina 6851 posts
19th May '11
Quoting Mommy to Giada {EBFB}:" Giada just turned 3 weeks old today. she isnt eating very much like she usually does. shes eating less ... [snip!] ... then dozing off. she ate pretty much all day yesterday is this normal for breastfed babies? i think im just being paranoid:/"

It might not be that she's eating LESS.

She might actually be more efficient at the breast now, and getting more quicker than in previous weeks.

Are you switching her at 10 minutes, or does she stop having frequent swallows on that breast, so you know tat breast is empty?

Also, keep one major thing in mind with breastfed babies. The only TRUE way of determining she's getting enough is the amount of wet diapers she's having.

http://kellymom.com - great resources about supply and feeding times, and how to tell she's getting enough!