8 weeks and no heart beat Charlina Michigan 4 posts
28th Feb '08

Hi , when I went to the doctor I thought I was 8 weeks pregnant but when they did a sonogram ( last friday)they told me that there is no heartbeat , when I came home the nurse told me to prepare myself for bleeding it's been a week now and I haven't experience any bleeding or cramps, tomorrow I will have an ultra sound , while reading some of the posting I found out that it's not necesarilly that you can hear the heart beat right away some of them were not detected not till 13 weeks , I'm just wondering why my doctor was not optimistic about the whole thing , my body thinks I'm still preganant I'm still suffering from occasional morning sickness and tenderness but I did not get that assurance from my doctor that everything will be ok :(

ABR 1 child; Texas 995 posts
28th Feb '08

I am not knowledgeable about your situation but I just wanted to wish you good luck. :)

Jen☆ 1 child; Kentucky 6421 posts
28th Feb '08

I dunno. I was 8 weeks 4 days when my baby's heart stopped beating, but I was cramping and spotting really bad. Maybe they just couldn't hear it, but I was thinking maybe he didn't want you to be too optimistic unless there was something wrong?

Leigh{30+} 3 kids; Pennsylvania 10500 posts
28th Feb '08

When I went to my ob/gyn (@ 9 weeks), they told me not to be alarmed if we couldn't hear the heartbeat, yet.... because it was so early... So, it seems strange that your's would tell you that. Was there anything else wrong?

Krissy Marissy 3 kids; California 2991 posts
28th Feb '08

Well I thought I was eight weeks and went in and found out I was only five weeks. And dr said it was fine, I went back two weeks later and heard the heartbeat and baby is doing very well at almost 26 weeks now. I wouldnt worry just yet...if it was meant to be then it will happen. *hugs*

Crissy926 34 kids; Arizona 2451 posts
28th Feb '08

I was 8 weeks and they couldn't hear a heartbeat very stressful! 2 Weeks later they heard a heartbeat loud and strong! I am now almost 17 weeks and so far so good! Good luck!

Charlina Michigan 4 posts
28th Feb '08

thanks ladies , I'm just so confused right now as much as I wanted to be optimistic my doctor never gave me that feeling,but she never told me what was wrong either. I'm just hoping that by tomorrow I will get an answerfrom her , it's hard when you really don't know what's going on

-Nikki- Ohio 189 posts
28th Feb '08

I was watching discovery health today... they said the first organ to develop is the heart (at about 8 weeks)... they may not be able to pick it up that soon though for you to hear it. I think you should always be optimistic! I hope everything is well :)

tmonroe New York 432 posts
28th Feb '08
Quoting Charlina:
jess pozdolski 2 kids; California 168 posts
28th Feb '08

i couldn't hear my daughters heartbeat at all. And they gave me my first ultrasound at 9 weeks and 2 days and sure enough there was our little gummybear (that's what she looked like). so don't be to worried unless you don't see anything in the ultrasound.

Irelyn's Mum!! 1 child; California 1623 posts
28th Feb '08

Just wait until the next u/s. Our first pregnancy I was about 8 wks and they didn't see a heartbeat so I came back a week later and there still wasn't anything so we decided to do a d&c because the doc wasn't confident that there was going to be a heartbeat. I didn't have bleeding, cramping or any other symptoms, but my pregnancy symptoms were dying down and my blood levels were lower so I knew that this wasn't going to be a successful pregnancy.

Roxan 2 kids; Albuquerque, New Mexico 713 posts
28th Feb '08

I wouldn't worrie at all especially if your still getting sick and not feeling any cramping. Maybe you should try to find a doc that does u/s in the office. Thats what I love about my docs office they always do an u/s for the first appt. And with u/s your def going to hear it. Good luck!! I'm sure everything is fine. Keep us posted:D

ILoveMyUSMCBaby 1 child; Kailua, Hawaii 3351 posts
28th Feb '08

i'm told you can hear the heartbeat at 10 weeks sometimes later. don't worry about it. you'll go in for your ultrasound and you'll most likely see the heartbeat

Charlina Michigan 4 posts
28th Feb '08

thanks for the encouragements , I'm having mixed emotions , but I'm preparing myself for the worst , I've been preparing myself for a week now , just getting so anxious ...tomorrow seems forever

HaileyMorgan911 Due October 26; Missouri 4 posts
31st Mar '10

Im also in the same situation. Im 8 weeks along and had my first u/s today.There was no heartbeat. The doctor didn't really have much to say... besides how she wants to do a d&c. Im new to this hole pregnancy thing, because im only sixteen. What happened to you?