20 week Ultrasound reveals Enlarged Kidney!!:-( Ms.LuvN_Motherhood* 2 kids; Youngstown, Ohio 13 posts
25th Jul '11

So I had my 20wk.Ultrasound today and my High Risk doc.Just about scared the hell out of me and my boyfriend by saying everything was normal EXCEPT my son has a enlarged Kidney which is a marker for DS(Down Syndrome)I have to wait a whole month before my next Ultrasound and Im going crazy inside,Im really trying to keep it together but I feel a depression coming on any advice as to how to cope with this situation...

Monica McLeod 3 kids; Manor, Texas 443 posts
25th Jul '11

I know it is hard to deal with news like that. i had the same thing happen with my second daughter. waiting to find out from my next ultrasound was torture. The best thing i can tell you is to try and keep your head up, and maybe do a little research on down syndrom and the signs and see how common it is for just that to be an indicator. And also how to deal with a down syndrom baby just incase they are born with it. the more educated you are on things like that, the easier to handel the situation.

Sharonblueyes{EBFB} 3 kids; Sequim, Washington 23124 posts
25th Jul '11
Quoting Ms.LuvN_Motherhood*:" So I had my 20wk.Ultrasound today and my High Risk doc.Just about scared the hell out of me and my boyfriend ... [snip!] ... keep it together but I feel a depression coming on any advice as to how to cope with this situation... "

That has got to be one of the most common ultrasound discoveries ever. :) I'm sure everything is FINE! It was really irresponsible to throw out words like Downs Syndrome when you need at least two, possibly three soft markers to even warrant concern. Lame-o doctor.

Ms.LuvN_Motherhood* 2 kids; Youngstown, Ohio 13 posts
26th Jul '11
Quoting Sharonblueyes{EBFB}:" That has got to be one of the most common ultrasound discoveries ever. :) I'm sure everything is FINE! ... [snip!] ... out words like Downs Syndrome when you need at least two, possibly three soft markers to even warrant concern. Lame-o doctor."

Lol Thanks..Im almost in tears everytime I think about it...

26th Jul '11
Quoting Monica McLeod:" I know it is hard to deal with news like that. i had the same thing happen with my second daughter. waiting ... [snip!] ... baby just incase they are born with it. the more educated you are on things like that, the easier to handel the situation."

Thank You,I know being informed always helps,I will definitely be doing my research!

ashmarie89 Due October 19; 1 child; Spangdahlem, Germany 118 posts
26th Jul '11

my dr found that our baby had a dilated (enlarged) kidney at 27weeks. he never said anything about down syndrome to us. and i did a little google research and it eased my mind a lot. apparently its very common in little boys and usually goes away before birth or in the first few months after birth. and depending on the severity, it rarely needs surgery done. as of 36weeks, our little boy's kidney is normal size and they said they will just do an ultrasound on it after he's born to double check

Sharonblueyes{EBFB} 3 kids; Sequim, Washington 23124 posts
26th Jul '11
Quoting Ms.LuvN_Motherhood*:" Lol Thanks..Im almost in tears everytime I think about it..."

FYI, both my son and my daughter had it. :) Both totally normal and fine. I'm mad at that doctor. lol

cjroberts Due October 6 (boy); 4 kids; 1 angel baby; Oklahoma 728 posts
26th Jul '11

I know exactly how you are feeling. When we went for our 20 week ultrasound they said the samething to me. I had to wait four weeks for the next ultrasound and at that one it hadn't gotten any better and then they had me wait four more weeks and did another one and at that one they said everything looked fine. I know it is extremely difficult to not worry but try if you can. It is easier said then done I know I worried like every day waiting but it turned out to be nothing and I did all that worrying for nothing. They did tell me that comes up in ultrasounds all the time and usually corrects itself and is no big deal. If you need someone to talk to I am here.

11th Aug '11
Quoting cjroberts:" I know exactly how you are feeling. When we went for our 20 week ultrasound they said the samething to ... [snip!] ... comes up in ultrasounds all the time and usually corrects itself and is no big deal. If you need someone to talk to I am here. "

AAwwww Thank You!