2 year old with bad cough... what can I do to help her? ~Jekka~ TTC since Oct 2012; 2 kids; Australia 8829 posts
11th Aug '11

My whole little family right now are sick. Coughing and sneezing. Me and SO can take some good cold and flu meds to help us feel better, and my eldest daughter is on antibiotics for her cough.... but what can I do to help my littlest one out? During the day she seems fine... her cough ins't too bad. But when she sleeps it sounds horrible :( I have the vapourizer on when she is sleeping, but it doesn't seem to be helping. It's breaking my heart sitting here and listening to her coughing like that. I've gone in there a few times to cuddle her coz I just feel horrible, but then she ends up waking up, which makes her upset. Is there anything I can give her or anything I can do, to make her feel a bit better? I think she is too young for cough medicine, and I don't think panadol (tylenol?) will do anythign to help her cough.

Not tellin 3 kids; Montana 55983 posts
11th Aug '11
Quoting ~Jekka~:" My whole little family right now are sick. Coughing and sneezing. Me and SO can take some good cold and ... [snip!] ... better? I think she is too young for cough medicine, and I don't think panadol (tylenol?) will do anythign to help her cough."

Do you have baby vicks? That helps. When the twins get sick I hate it because I know I can't really give them anything to calm the cough. You can try to give her warm tea with some lemon and honey in it. Some times that will help soothe the cough for a bit.

shajenni TTC since Oct 2012; 2 kids; 1 angel baby; Dubbo, Australia 1108 posts
11th Aug '11

how old is she? if she is 2 years old I found the best thing is Dimetapp my songets about 6 -8 hours of relief before the age of 2 there isnt anything realy. You are doing the right thing with the vapouriser you could also use Euky Bearub it's the kids vapourub
best of luck and I hope you family gets well.

there is also Chemists own Kiddicol Childrens cough mixture it alleviates syptoms of colds
Eases coughing and is sugar free.
This medication can also be taken with panadol.

♥Manda♥ Swan Valley, WA, Australia 29398 posts
11th Aug '11

You can give cough meds to her now! I've been using one called Prospan since Bella was 15m, it's safe to use under 2 because it's a natural one :) you can get it from the chemist, was $8 for a bottle I think :)

~Jekka~ TTC since Oct 2012; 2 kids; Australia 8829 posts
11th Aug '11

Thanx heaps everyone :)
I'll take a trip to the chemist tonight and get some vaporub and cough medicine for her. Poor thing, first off she had a horrible virus which gave her fevers and vomiting, then she had gastro, now she has this cold. Now Amelie has gastro too.... so I have one baby coughing all night, and the other vomiting all night. We are a house of very little sleep at the moment.

shajenni TTC since Oct 2012; 2 kids; 1 angel baby; Dubbo, Australia 1108 posts
11th Aug '11
Quoting ~Jekka~:" Thanx heaps everyone :) I'll take a trip to the chemist tonight and get some vaporub and cough medicine ... [snip!] ... so I have one baby coughing all night, and the other vomiting all night. We are a house of very little sleep at the moment."

I'm so sorry I hope that you all get better soon.