1 year old throwing up milk...help! These City Walls 1 child; San Diego, California 2605 posts
19th Aug '11

I switched my 12 month old from "gentle" formula to whole milk. I mixed it and transitioned him over the course of a week or so. He has now been throwing up the milk about 1x a day, and he's not sleeping well at all, he whines like his tummy hurts.

I have a call into his pedi, but they are pretty slow to respond. He just puked all over my mom's car.

What are my alternatives? I saw the Gentlease "Toddler" formula, but that's sooo expensive! Should I try soy milk or lactaid? Or just keep giving it to him to get him used to it? Milk makes me really sick as well.

MarissaPayne 2 kids; British Columbia 9950 posts
19th Aug '11

You could try Almond milk!

1&1 We're Done! 2 kids; Nevada 10963 posts
19th Aug '11

Sounds like a lactose intolerance, Try rice milk thats what My daughter drinks

My Son's My Life[lpc] 1 child; California 8 posts
19th Aug '11

Almond milk is amazing hun. Try that. I started LO on that first, and then eventually once he gets bigger we will switch to whole milk

These City Walls 1 child; San Diego, California 2605 posts
19th Aug '11

Oh Almond milk! I forgot about that!

What kind do I get? I'm pretty sure I've seen it at the store.

MarissaPayne 2 kids; British Columbia 9950 posts
19th Aug '11
Quoting Scootie Bootie:" Oh Almond milk! I forgot about that! What kind do I get? I'm pretty sure I've seen it at the store."

You can get regular but the Vanilla tastes better. lol

Dawnmarie Naughton 7 kids; Mastic Beach, New York 456 posts
19th Aug '11

i had to put one of my children on soy milk for like 6 months for some reason she couldnt keep the milk down now she can have regular milk shes also 10 now lol

JenniferRamen Fort White, Florida 1653 posts
19th Aug '11
Quoting Scootie Bootie:" I switched my 12 month old from "gentle" formula to whole milk. I mixed it and transitioned him over ... [snip!] ... Should I try soy milk or lactaid? Or just keep giving it to him to get him used to it? Milk makes me really sick as well."

gas, cramps, a bloated feeling, and diarrhea are all symptoms of lactose intolerance i advise you talk to the pedi. if you have lactose intolerance then your body will start "acting up" about 2 hours after eating dairy or lactose. it may take more or less time everyone's body is different...

19th Aug '11

I throw up when I drink whole milk so I can see why my son might do so as well :)
The almond milk sounds like its worth a try.

19th Aug '11

Pedi says I should buy more formula and give him 75% formula and the rest 1% milk instead of whole, then decrease amount of formula over a week or two. I did do that, but I used whole milk.

Is 1% milk really gonna make any difference?? I know whole milk makes me sicker than 1% but I just avoid it altogether.

I asked about almond milk and they told me I could try it, but cow's milk is better.

Teagan's Mommy☠ Due May 20 (boy); 6 kids; Egypt 31882 posts
19th Aug '11
Quoting Scootie Bootie:" Pedi says I should buy more formula and give him 75% formula and the rest 1% milk instead of whole, then ... [snip!] ... than 1% but I just avoid it altogether. I asked about almond milk and they told me I could try it, but cow's milk is better."

as long as he's getting healthy fats in his diet cow milk is not better really.
dairy in general is unhealthy.

you can try goat milk but it's expensive , but that way you are certain he's getting plenty of fat and it's better on the stomach than cow milk.

or you could try coconut milk and almond milk together , that way he doesn't get too much coconut , since it's a laxitive but has good fat in it.

or flax milk , nice amount of fat is in it.

BG b***h®[BMM] Due April 19; 10 kids; Glendale, Arizona 4481 posts
19th Aug '11

My LO did the same thing when she got whole milk and we had even done the mixing it with formula until it was only milk, and it didnt work out too good.

we tried the almond milk (vanilla) and she LOVES it!!!

Her first drink, she took a sip and then between chugs she said "thank you!!" lol it was too cute