2 - 3 cm dilated Raeuh 1 child; Kailua, Hawaii 288 posts
7th Sep '11

Ok so I got told I was 2 - 3 centimeters dilated & 50% effaced , I had one really bad period cramp yesterday , but other than that I have been having constant & continuous contractions with what i think is BH but its tightening of my whole tummy. How long would it take me to get to 4 centimeters which would be considered active labor ?? I've also got bad leg cramps lately from the calf's up. I walked up & down the stairs last night & just today....the day before my appt which is the day I got told I was 2 - 3 centimeter dilated I walked the stairs for about an hour....

My Brain On Drugs TTC since Sep 2013; 33 kids; Elephant Butte, New Mexico 15758 posts
7th Sep '11

There are lots of things you can do to get the effacement going--unprotected sex, orgasm, etc., but dilation is one of those things that happens when it happens. IMO there's no need to try to make it happen--it will.

[Chrissy] 1 child; Cooperstown, New York 3742 posts
7th Sep '11

Nobody can answer that because every woman is different. You can walk around for weeks without dilating more.

Ozknativmama 17 kids; Fayetteville, Arkansas 2661 posts
7th Sep '11
Quoting [Chrissy]:" Nobody can answer that because every woman is different. You can walk around for weeks without dilating more."

:!:

Raeuh 1 child; Kailua, Hawaii 288 posts
7th Sep '11

Just thought I'd ask , but ok then. I will take all that then.... I know it will happen on it's own...just thought maybe I could get it to speed up. but thanks though

Grniz 2 kids; Illinois 45669 posts
7th Sep '11
Quoting Raeuh (38 weeks):" Just thought I'd ask , but ok then. I will take all that then.... I know it will happen on it's own...just thought maybe I could get it to speed up. but thanks though"

You can do everything under the sun... believe me I did .. and I didnt dilate to 4 til my body was in active labor and ready. Id just take the last few weeks and sleep... I just had my son lastnight at 8:23.. adn Ive slept 2 hours total maybe lol. even uncomfortable as you are.. take these last few moments of alone time and a non sore vagina and pamper yourself :)

7th Sep '11
Quoting Crlyheadedfck Is a Mommy.:" You can do everything under the sun... believe me I did .. and I didnt dilate to 4 til my body was ... [snip!] ... lol. even uncomfortable as you are.. take these last few moments of alone time and a non sore vagina and pamper yourself :)"

Awh , congrats ! & I know ; but like I've said just thought I'd ask. I have been sleeping & I sleep a whole lot. & when I am awake I mostly just try to do things to keep me busy. But I get more than enough rest now... Just wish I knew my body that good to know when I dilate to 4 centimeters.... but thanks :)

Grniz 2 kids; Illinois 45669 posts
7th Sep '11
Quoting Raeuh (38 weeks):" Awh , congrats ! & I know ; but like I've said just thought I'd ask. I have been sleeping & ... [snip!] ... I get more than enough rest now... Just wish I knew my body that good to know when I dilate to 4 centimeters.... but thanks :)"

lol i felt the same but I was contracting daily and not sleeping so I was trying everything. It didnt happen til the day after my due date lol. Im jealous you sleep a lot. Enjoy the last few weeks of it lol :) its worht the wait momma I promise <3

7th Sep '11
Quoting Raeuh (38 weeks):" Just thought I'd ask , but ok then. I will take all that then.... I know it will happen on it's own...just thought maybe I could get it to speed up. but thanks though"

I tried everything. Walking, sex, pineapple juice, bouncing on a birthing ball, going up and down stairs, evening primrose oil, more sex, more birthing ball...
Dialating, especially if this is your first baby will take the longest out of anything. It will happen on its own. Trust me girl...I was in labor for 72+ hours with PAINFUL contractions which were 3 minutes apart. Me, DH and my doula all thought I was in active labor. (NOT) I was 100% effaced for most of that time but the thing that kept my little girl in me for most of that time was the fact that I was dialating slowly.
This won't necessarily happen to you...certainly hopefully not this dramatically but just an example. Best save your energy. You'll need every last bit of it. Besides, you could get lucky and your cervix might decide to dialate all at once all of a sudden.
Good luck

Stephy Weffy 1 child; Scottsbluff, Nebraska 127 posts
7th Sep '11

I was 75% effaced at 34w, 1cm 75% effaced at 35-36, 2cm 80% effaced at 37w-to now n im 39w this sat, im very active my house has an up stairs n a basement so im always walking stairs plus my job im always walking even lifting heavy items still no labor but sorry im not much help but that's my experience n Im still waiting don't worry it'll happen u still have time

8th Sep '11
Quoting Crlyheadedfck Is a Mommy.:" lol i felt the same but I was contracting daily and not sleeping so I was trying everything. It didnt ... [snip!] ... my due date lol. Im jealous you sleep a lot. Enjoy the last few weeks of it lol :) its worht the wait momma I promise <3"

Yea , but sometimes I over sleep so then I wake up in a bad mood...lol so i try to wake myself up at times...but with the walking & stuff I get super tired & tend to sleep more than walk....& thank you I can't wait to finally hold my LO though ; but I will enjoy the last few weeks

8th Sep '11
Quoting [EarthyMummy]:" I tried everything. Walking, sex, pineapple juice, bouncing on a birthing ball, going up and down stairs, ... [snip!] ... last bit of it. Besides, you could get lucky and your cervix might decide to dialate all at once all of a sudden. Good luck"

Thanks :) & wish I could try out the sex thing , but hubby is deployed :/ we just can't wait....Hopefully though things go well with labor & dilation...

8th Sep '11
Quoting Stephanie Shirkey:" I was 75% effaced at 34w, 1cm 75% effaced at 35-36, 2cm 80% effaced at 37w-to now n im 39w this sat, ... [snip!] ... no labor but sorry im not much help but that's my experience n Im still waiting don't worry it'll happen u still have time"

It's amazing cause just last week my cervix was doing nothing....but yes I know I just can't wait :) thanks...

8th Sep '11
Quoting Raeuh (38 weeks):" Thanks :) & wish I could try out the sex thing , but hubby is deployed :/ we just can't wait....Hopefully though things go well with labor & dilation..."

Thats too bad. I hope he gets home soon and safe! Sex was probably the only reason I delivered two days before my due date. Otherwise I would have gone past

8th Sep '11
Quoting [EarthyMummy]:" Thats too bad. I hope he gets home soon and safe! Sex was probably the only reason I delivered two days before my due date. Otherwise I would have gone past"

Thanks & I hope so too :)