4 year old nose bleed? *LovinLife* Due December 16 (boy); 1 child; North Carolina 997 posts
8th Sep '11

My son will be 4 in October and when we were getting ready this morning, his nose started bleeding all of a sudden and there was a lot of it. I have never had a nose bleed before in my life so all the blood was startling especially coming out of a child. Has anyone else's child this young had a nose bleed like this? I am waiting for the dr. office to open so I can give them a call, he didnt hit his nose on anything and he acted fine afterwords but it just has me worried.

Kelly&Coralie 1 child; Rochester, NY, United States 56008 posts
8th Sep '11

Dry air?
Picked it too hard in his sleep?

dank.ass.WBM. 2 kids; Groton, Connecticut 18515 posts
8th Sep '11

sometimes when my daughter is going to sleep, she sticks her fingers in the nose...i have to keep on top of the length of her nails because sometimes she'll wake up from her nap covered in blood from her nose...she's almost 2...

not anything that i worry about though...

The Blissful Six 4 kids; 1 angel baby; Massachusetts 10260 posts
8th Sep '11

I have suffered from nosebleeds all my life! They suck. They started really young too. Turns out I have very thin nasal membranes and a deviated septum. Maybe your little guy has the same problem. When ever my nose gets to dry it'll bleed.

*LovinLife* Due December 16 (boy); 1 child; North Carolina 997 posts
8th Sep '11

I have seen people's nose bleed to where it will just sorta run down their nose a little but this was so much it took about 5 wads of toilet paper to get it to stop and it went all over his clothes and the countertop.. you would have really thought he hit it on something! I hope he just picked it or it was dry or something. He has had one before during the night where I saw the blood on the pillow case the next morning but it wasnt quite as bad as it was this morning. As someone who has never had one its a little scary!

girlfrommars84 2 kids; Guisborough, United Kingdom 1287 posts
8th Sep '11

my boy child gets them outta nowhere sometimes. all over his new white school top for example.....

The Blissful Six 4 kids; 1 angel baby; Massachusetts 10260 posts
8th Sep '11
Quoting *LovinLife*:" I have seen people's nose bleed to where it will just sorta run down their nose a little but this was ... [snip!] ... case the next morning but it wasnt quite as bad as it was this morning. As someone who has never had one its a little scary!"

I would still have him checked over.

8th Sep '11
Quoting julianna's mama:" I would still have him checked over. "

Thanks, I called the advice nurse at his dr. office and Im waiting for them to give me a call back, I know nose bleeds are fairly common, but the severity of it was what I was worried about. Can never be too careful!

8th Sep '11
Quoting julianna's mama:" I would still have him checked over. "

The nurse just called me back and she said that they usually see nose bleeds like that when they hit their nose but not usually for a random nose bleed, but she told me to watch him and if he has another one like that to have him come get checked out. He told me he felt like throwing up after it bled and I was worried about that but she told me that was just because the blood had gone down the back of his throat and likely made him feel nauseated. I love that dr. office they are so good about calling back and giving you information without wasting a visit.

Happy Ipster Washington, D.C., District of Columbia 22228 posts
8th Sep '11
Quoting *LovinLife*:" Thanks, I called the advice nurse at his dr. office and Im waiting for them to give me a call back, I ... [snip!] ... call back, I know nose bleeds are fairly common, but the severity of it was what I was worried about. Can never be too careful!"

Does he sleep under a vent? With a fan on? Do you have a dehumidifier in the house? Those things can cause dried out noses which will bleed...

Are his nails long? Does he love digging for gold up there? That can cause damage to the membranes (like cuts and stuff) which will make him bleed.

AND....have you given him ibuprofen? That can cause nose bleeds...esp if it's been given for a couple days now.

My LO gets nose bleeds from picking. :x

8th Sep '11
Quoting Mom of a Genius:" Does he sleep under a vent? With a fan on? Do you have a dehumidifier in the house? Those things can ... [snip!] ... ibuprofen? That can cause nose bleeds...esp if it's been given for a couple days now. My LO gets nose bleeds from picking. :x"

He dosnt have any vents blowing down on him that I can remember off hand but the nurse did suggest getting the humidifier to moisten the room up. And yes he picks lol but I get him to stop when he does it where I can see him, still he could have very easily done it during the night and irritated it. It was just so random... I was brushing his hair and then all of a sudden he started crying that his nose was bleeding, I looked down and it was all over the counter I was like what in the world you know?