7 weeks, no gestational sac ♥ Becca ♥ Due May 11 (boy); 51 kids; 3 angel babies; Royal Oak Charter Township, Michigan 1259 posts
10th Sep '11

I found out I was pregnant with a positive HPT on Aug 19 (4 weeks LMP). I went to the ER on Aug 23 because I started bleeding. They checked my cervix, was closed, they did an ultrasound and no cause for the bleeding was found. My HCG levels were low at 16 and told me to expect to miscarry and sent me home on bed rest. The bleeding continued about 3 days and then continued as spotting brown on and off. I went to see my OB on Aug 26 and he did my levels and they went up! They were now at 28. I went back Sept 1 for more levels to be drawn and they continued to rise. I started having some heavier spotting with a red tint again yesterday and went back to see my OB. He did an ultrasound and could not see a gestational sac. He said my tubes looked clear and told me I had a large ovarian cyst. With the way my HCG levels are, I know it would have been too low to see anything, but not even a gestational sac?
I have had no pain, but have continued spotting, some days heavier than others and some days it would be gone.
Has anyone had anything like this happen or know anyone that has?

ashleeoh 2 kids; Tucson, Arizona 2608 posts
10th Sep '11

If you are 7 weeks you should be able to see baby and heart beat. What were your September 1 levels? I believe they are supposed to double every other day. Is it possible you aren't as far as you thought? I hope everything turns out okay for you.

♥ Becca ♥ Due May 11 (boy); 51 kids; 3 angel babies; Royal Oak Charter Township, Michigan 1259 posts
10th Sep '11
Quoting ashleeoh:" If you are 7 weeks you should be able to see baby and heart beat. What were your September 1 levels? ... [snip!] ... supposed to double every other day. Is it possible you aren't as far as you thought? I hope everything turns out okay for you."

My levels were almost 80 on Sept 1. They say to see anything they have to be over 1000, which they are no where close to. To me, this isn't looking good. I have no idea how far along I could be. I just know I had a nice dark positive when I found out.

AirForceChick 33 kids; Arkansas 580 posts
10th Sep '11

At 7 weeks they should be able to see something if they used the wand type ultrasound machine. Or you may not be that far along.

10th Sep '11

now you might not even be pregnant because at 7 weeks your hcg levels should be a between a 15,000 and 200,000 whenever I was 6 weeks and I got tested mine were at 30,333 if I were you I'd go to a better doctor because for once if you are pregnant a gestational sac should be visible through ultrasound and spotting during pregnancy is normal but you shouldn't be bleeding the way you're bleeding you could have had an early miscarriage because at 0~1 weeks your hcg levels are at 0~50 and that early in a pregnancy shouldnt show up on a urine sample I would go to a different doctor and the other advise

♥ Becca ♥ Due May 11 (boy); 51 kids; 3 angel babies; Royal Oak Charter Township, Michigan 1259 posts
10th Sep '11
Quoting Mommy*2*be[[due*april8th2:" now you might not even be pregnant because at 7 weeks your hcg levels should be a between a 15,000 and ... [snip!] ... at 0~50 and that early in a pregnancy shouldnt show up on a urine sample I would go to a different doctor and the other advise"

HCG levels do vary and my OB has been drawing betas and they have been rising. We are both surprised that they have been so low and that I was able to get a positive home pregnancy test. My cervix is closed still and has been throughout this pregnancy. We have suspicions of an ectopic pregnancy. (low levels and bleeding being symptoms) I get my HCG results from Friday tomorrow morning.
I have been to several different doctors and they all have told me the same thing. My doctor is more involved than any other doctor that I have seen so far.

I talked to my mom about it and she didn't find out she was pregnant with my brother until she was 3 months along. At 8-9 weeks they did an ultrasound and seen nothing at all indicating pregnancy and her tests all came back negative for pregnancy. I guess it can happen.

If I'm not pregnant, what else can cause rising HCG levels?

Heathcliff 19 kids; Woodbury, New Jersey 3264 posts
11th Sep '11

I am not a doctor or a super genius when it comes to levels and what not, but I do hope everything is ok and that you are just a little behind....I do know it's easier to see a baby by a transvaginal ultrasound when 7 weeks and under.....I had my firs tultrasound at 6 weeks 6 days with this baby and they didn't see anything with a regular tummy one so the wand revealed my baby and a heartbeat....so hopefully you are behind cause with my 2nd pregnancy at 5 weeks I only sawa yolk and sac it freaked me out and Ihad to weait like 3-4 weeks for another ultrasound and he was ok :). Have faith momma!

11th Sep '11
Quoting Heather2boys +1:" I am not a doctor or a super genius when it comes to levels and what not, but I do hope everything is ... [snip!] ... sawa yolk and sac it freaked me out and Ihad to weait like 3-4 weeks for another ultrasound and he was ok :). Have faith momma!"

That's the thing, they did a transvaginal ultrasound and still couldn't see the gestational sac. My mom was telling me about how she had one at almost 9 weeks and the doctors kept telling her she wasn't pregnant. Blood tests as well as the urine tests came back negative. She didn't know she was in fact pregnant until she was 3 months!
So I know it's possible to not see anything based on what the levels are. I have low levels and know they have to be at least 1100 to even see the gestational sac. My doctor doesn't seem worried yet.
I have had bleeding and still no cause. My cervix is closed and there was no blood on the ultrasound indicating that it was coming from inside my uterus. It's all so confusing and I've been trying so hard to keep my faith and hoping that everything works out for the best.

K8Hanna Due May 14 (boy); 3 kids; 7 angel babies; Salem, NJ, United States 1236 posts
11th Sep '11

Thinking about you sweetie, sorry I haven't message you back... I've been super busy. Just to let you know, with my ectopic they NEVER saw anything on ultrasound, even in my tubes, but when they weny in the pregnancy was almost big enough to fill up the width of my right tube. I'm not sure why they never caught it on ultrasound.

11th Sep '11
Quoting K8Hanna:" Thinking about you sweetie, sorry I haven't message you back... I've been super busy. Just to let you ... [snip!] ... the pregnancy was almost big enough to fill up the width of my right tube. I'm not sure why they never caught it on ultrasound."

I know how it is to be busy, no worries!
I am going to call the doctor about the hcg results tomorrow.
To me, things aren't looking good, but everyone else keeps trying to assure me things are fine.
Did they track your hcg levels?

leanne gai 3 kids; Kurri Kurri, Australia 486 posts
11th Sep '11

i had a similar thing happen to me with my first son.. all the pregnancy symptoms, but all the test came back neg. i had scans, NO your not preg..
this went on for weeks and I was so sick i was sick of being sick! especially with no explaination why i was so sick
my doctor refused to give up and said, one more blood test and we will see wht that shows up. this was about number 300! i swear to god!
so, the next morn, having a sleep in might i add, the phone rings and its the doctor, your bloods came back and they are rising, your preg!! well, off we rushed to have a scan coz i had been having mris and ct scans to see if i had tumors.. and low and behold there was a jelly bean!! FINALLY!!!! i was 12 weeks preg!! had been having regular scans and he never showed up!! urine tests bearly show up pos.
I delivered a healthy baby boy at 40 weeks 2 days. 6 lb15oz. hes now 13 years old..
all the best with it honey, thinking of you xoxoxo
Leanne xoxoxo

K8Hanna Due May 14 (boy); 3 kids; 7 angel babies; Salem, NJ, United States 1236 posts
11th Sep '11

<blockquote><b>Quoting *MissBecca*:</b>" I know how it is to be busy, no worries! I am going to call the doctor about the hcg results tomorrow. ... [snip!] ... me, things aren't looking good, but everyone else keeps trying to assure me things are fine. Did they track your hcg levels?"</blockquote>

Yes, they did track my betas... I wish I had kept that written down somewhere, but i know that it never doubled in the 48-72 hours it should. And I dont believe it even got above 400, I think it was something like 376 when they transferred me from a NJ hospital to my regular OB's hospital in DE for an emergency surgery. The only things that made them decide to do the surgery was the low slow rising betas, nothing viable on u/s, the brown spotting, plus I was having some pain on my right side.

But they never had knew FOR SURE, until after the surgery that it was definatly ectopic, they just went by the symptoms. I pray this isnt your case, i bawled as they took me back for the surgery, knowing that I would officially no longer be pregnant when I woke up, it was so hard! :(

11th Sep '11
Quoting K8Hanna:" <blockquote><b>Quoting *MissBecca*:</b>" I know how it is to be busy, no worries! ... [snip!] ... as they took me back for the surgery, knowing that I would officially no longer be pregnant when I woke up, it was so hard! :("

I've been having pains since yesterday on and off, but nothing I can pin point the location of. It comes and goes. It's in the area of my left side next to my hip and about the pubic bone. It's not really sharp, but more of a discomfort, pressure. I was told it was most likely round ligament pains. I've been having brown spotting, but on Friday had some red in it and then had a lot of red blood after the ultrasound, but its back to being brown and light.
I hope I hear something back tomorrow and they are willing to run more tests. I don't want to play the waiting game much longer.

11th Sep '11
Quoting leanne gai:" i had a similar thing happen to me with my first son.. all the pregnancy symptoms, but all the test came ... [snip!] ... boy at 40 weeks 2 days. 6 lb15oz. hes now 13 years old.. all the best with it honey, thinking of you xoxoxo Leanne xoxoxo"

My mom had that happen to her as well. She kept going to the doctor and they kept telling her she wasn't pregnant, even after an ultrasound around 9 weeks.

I am hoping for a miracle.

12th Sep '11

UPDATE:
My levels came back at 87. My OB told me that I am probably going to miscarry soon. He's going to check my levels again on Thursday.