7 month old with toast Trace's Mommy (2.11.11) 1 child; Florida 2282 posts
15th Sep '11

Okay so at WIC the lady said it would be okay to start giving LO toast, but would it really be okay?
He has two front teeth, but I dont know how to give it to him.
Do I but butter on it? Do i put it into small pieces or just let him chew on it?
My biggest worry is if he chokes, what the hell do i do?
Should I just wait longer?

karenanne 2 kids; Cornwall, Ontario 3826 posts
15th Sep '11
Quoting Trace's Mommy (2.11.11):" Okay so at WIC the lady said it would be okay to start giving LO toast, but would it really be okay? ... [snip!] ... small pieces or just let him chew on it? My biggest worry is if he chokes, what the hell do i do? Should I just wait longer?"

i gave my daughter toast with butter, and just cut the toast in two and let her chew on it

Blythe. 1 child; Indiana 22371 posts
15th Sep '11

I would cut in into thin strips and put butter on it. Every time DD choked she has either just puked or coughed it up.

JΔ$ Georgia 76419 posts
status 15th Sep '11

Put butter on it when it's warm, that way the bread will be soft. Cut it in small cubes. You know what your child can handle so use your judgment when it comes to size. Let her try to feed herself. 7 months is a good time to introduce some finger foods.

user banned 1 child; Hastings, Oklahoma 1458 posts
15th Sep '11
Quoting Trace's Mommy (2.11.11):" Okay so at WIC the lady said it would be okay to start giving LO toast, but would it really be okay? ... [snip!] ... small pieces or just let him chew on it? My biggest worry is if he chokes, what the hell do i do? Should I just wait longer?"

my son had toast at 6 he barely had two teeth they had only just cut through

usernametx Texas 19750 posts
15th Sep '11

They don't need teeth, they can gum through most cooked foods. Babyled weaning is what is advised in the UK as the healthiest way to start solids, and that means baby self feeds everything from the beginning - no need for purees or any kind of mush, just normal healthy foods (low sugar and salt). If they haven't chewed the food enough they gag it forward again to chew till it's ready to swallow.

Big pieces of food are good for younger ones as they can hold onto it and chew on the bits that pop out from the top - like toast 'soldiers'. It's around that age they start using their pincer grasp so they like to pick up tiny bits of food too, little bits of steamed veg etc. Have fun :)

15th Sep '11

you could also start giving him pasta and real soft stuff

Trace's Mommy (2.11.11) 1 child; Florida 2282 posts
15th Sep '11
Quoting Mama*AtoZ:" They don't need teeth, they can gum through most cooked foods. Babyled weaning is what is advised in ... [snip!] ... they start using their pincer grasp so they like to pick up tiny bits of food too, little bits of steamed veg etc. Have fun :)"

thank you :)
he did good, of course i broke the pieces sooooo tiny, he gagged a couple times but did good.

Trace's Mommy (2.11.11) 1 child; Florida 2282 posts
15th Sep '11
Quoting Blythe.:" you could also start giving him pasta and real soft stuff"

okay thanks(: how would I give him the pasta? should i mush it up?

15th Sep '11
Quoting Trace's Mommy (2.11.11):" okay thanks(: how would I give him the pasta? should i mush it up?"

nope little bity pieces for him to gum. You could just start with some pasta and butter. As long as you do tiny pieces he could have soft fruit too like pears, and peaches. Mashed potats, DD used to love white rice with gravy. Their little gums are strong as hell!

Liz McArthur 2 kids; Tacoma, Washington 718 posts
16th Sep '11

My daughter is 7 months old, born 2-11 too =), and she still hasnt cut her teeth at all yet and eats cheerios. She can pick them up and loves to self feed. I have to make her eat dinner first or she won't eat anything but cheerios hahahaha. I haven't tried toast. They break apart and mush very easily. But yes, their little gums are so strong! It's crazy! =) I love it though.

usernametx Texas 19750 posts
16th Sep '11
Quoting Trace's Mommy (2.11.11):" okay thanks(: how would I give him the pasta? should i mush it up?"

You can cook any foods (assides from the obvious, nuts, honey etc) as normal and just put them on a plate like you would for an older kid, they learn to feed themselves at the same rate they require extra nutrients. It's very easy and stress free.