37 weeks 1 1/2 cm dilated, 50% effaced? 12.5.11 Due December 4 (boy); New York 7 posts
19th Nov '11

I am 37 weeks & 4 days. I just saw my doctor today he said I am 1 1/2 cm & 50% effaced. How come I didn't feel contractions when I dilated? & how long after should I go into labor? If I'm almost 2 cm I should be almost there. My doctor said I am right on schedule & should have my baby on it's due date (December 5th). I think I'll go early. But who knows? I've been having back pains & some contractions.

iLL-Legal Unicorn Alien 3 kids; New York, TX, United States 37137 posts
19th Nov '11

Some women can be dilated 1-2cm for weeks and still go after their due date.

Malakai's mommy 1 child; Appleton, Wisconsin 1570 posts
19th Nov '11

you can be dialted/effaced for quite awhile, it doesn't necessarily mean you will go into labor soon, you aren't due for a few weeks. i had my son at 38w6d and was 4cm dilated and 80% effaced for a week before i finally went into labor

♥ lacee. 1 child; Ohio 2348 posts
19th Nov '11

Well, as the other momma's said you can be effaced and dilated for a while. The beginning phase tends to be the slowest and can last quite a while.

MommyJustice! 3 kids; Cincinnati, Ohio 1574 posts
19th Nov '11

I lost my mucus plug with my daughter on thanksgiving and was already 1 1/2 cm dialated ... then right after christmas I was 3cm dialated and effaced 50% .... I had my daughter January 24th by induction! I was still 3cm n 50% effaced! (she is almost 3 now lol) But I was dialated n effaced forever before had Ailey

AlyShy 2 kids; Rhode Island 2302 posts
19th Nov '11

im 1 1/2 cm dilated now and im only 30 weeks. The doctor said I can stay like that for a while. I only got checked because Ive been having a lot of consistant BH contractions

hobbit* 3 kids; New Zealand 44783 posts
19th Nov '11

you will go into labour when you least expect it, both times i went into labour i didnt think today would be the day and i didnt feel any different!
my friend has been saying she thinks she'll be early for a few weeks, and shes due on monday and still hasnt had baby lol. you just never know these things.
with my second at 37weeks i was 4cms, baby was fully engaged, i had 2 sweeps and she still didnt come until 38w and 6days :D

Cee ❣ Due June 8; 2 kids; New York 3946 posts
19th Nov '11

I didn't read the whole thing just the first 2 lines but I went to 3 cms dialated without any contractions, my labor was stopped. 2 weeks later I was 4 cms dialated and the contractions were faint, it wasn't painful till I was almost 5cms. I thought I was going to be one of the lucky ones that didnt feel a thing but I was WAY wrong, lol.

Lyrical Lucy 4 kids; California 1249 posts
19th Nov '11

With my baby I was walking around 2 1/2 cm dilated for 2 weeks before she finally came after induction.
Sometimes you can dilate a little bit during the last weeks of your pregnancy. You will know when labor starts mama. Hopefully baby will wait a few more weeks.
Good Luck!

Ashley; Kenley's Mommy! 1 child; Wisconsin 15117 posts
22nd Nov '11

I've been 1 1/2 cm dilated since 37 weeks, and since friday 50% effaced. I'm almost 39 weeks. And still pregnant haha! I've also had my bloody show and have been losing my plug for awhile now.