2 week old constipated Scarlet's Mama- est.0308 Due August 29; 1 child; Texas 4344 posts
4th Apr '08

My daughter is extremely constipated. It hurts her to push out gas & to poop.

It could be that we had to stop breastfeeding and give her formula. We give her Similac w/ Iron. Can't it be because of the iron? I've heard of things that can help her like karo syrup or rectal stimulation. But she still seems to not be having good bowel movements.

she'll go two days without then take a painful monster watery poop.

should i try to switch her formula to soy formula? i heard that helps.
i don't know, i need help/

Maisy & Charles 1 child; Ocala, Florida 1857 posts
4th Apr '08

Just watching for answers.

Booperelli 2 kids; Eaton Rapids, Michigan 8 posts
4th Apr '08

it could absolutely be because of the iron.. in fact I can't see why it wouldn't be. Iron makes you constipated.

Try switching her to regular Similac... or if that IS regular Similac (I know nothing of formula, I BF) try like ... any other kind?

Booperelli 2 kids; Eaton Rapids, Michigan 8 posts
4th Apr '08

And, yes, stick a thermometer up there and see if that brings anything about :P

Scarlet's Mama- est.0308 Due August 29; 1 child; Texas 4344 posts
4th Apr '08

Would It be okay to switch her back breastmilk?
Is it too late because, I still have milk leaking and coming out, but she wouldn't latch. but is it too late to try again?

Leigh{30+} 3 kids; Pennsylvania 10500 posts
4th Apr '08

Have you tried pumping breastmilk? Also, there was a topic about this on here a couple weeks ago... try searching for it... there were a lot of good suggestions... I just can't remember any of the details...

[Boats&Hoes] 2 kids; Youngstown, Ohio 62969 posts
4th Apr '08

To my understanding you should only use karo syrup with a dr's permission. But it could just be the formula change. I was told they're only constipated when they have hard pellet like stools and it seems painful. so I'm stuck b/c her stools are watery but you said it seems painful. Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

LoveMyChubbyBubby 17 kids; Reynoldsburg, Ohio 45381 posts
4th Apr '08
Quoting iMommy:
4th Apr '08
Quoting Paiger [Kaleb's Momma!]:
nesnshn2432 Oceanside, California 9 posts
4th Apr '08
Quoting iMommy:
nesnshn2432 Oceanside, California 9 posts
4th Apr '08

I had that problem with my son as well. We took him to the doctor and she told us to switch his formula so we switch to good start with dha and ara..because of the proetin. She also told us we can give him a little big of juice or water 2 times a day.

LoveMyChubbyBubby 17 kids; Reynoldsburg, Ohio 45381 posts
4th Apr '08
Quoting Bubba {Jalene's mommy}:
4th Apr '08
Quoting Paiger [Kaleb's Momma!]:
Our little miracle Emily 17 kids; West Virginia 4506 posts
4th Apr '08

Hun we went thru the exact same thing with that formula! But my little one is 4 weeks old tomorrow. This happened last weekend. She was turning blue/purple trying to pass gas and was so constipated. I wanted to BF but my milk came in late and she was early, so had to supplement with formula. I don't get much breast milk, maybe 3 to 4 oz. a day, but add it to the formula anyway. As long as you are eakingyou can add it, or if you can get your little one to nurse nurse! My little one was born 13 days before her due date and my milk did not start coming in until she was almost 2 weeks old, so she refuses to nurse off of me now. But anyway I called her pedi last Sat, for the exact same thing with the exact same formula. They said the ion is VERY important right now. We were using the enfamil lipil with iron and they said to try the similac advanced. Well we went back to the enfamil because of the constipation. Well, found enfamil makes a great one! it is enfamil gentlelease. It is for fussiness and gas. But what we had to do right then to get her moving was they told me to get baby pear juice and give her 2 oz. twice a day for a couple days and if thatdid not work then do baby white grape. Well, we gave her 2 oz. of baby pear and within 1/2 hour she had a blow out and wa VERY HAPPY!!!We gave her the other 2 oz. later in the day and repeated that the next day to be sure and then switched her to the enfamil gentleease and have had no problems since. Thank God! it wa awful to see her in such pain and we were so helpless to her. Thank God for the on call nurse!

Jamie10_07 Due January 10 (boy); 1 child; Vandalia, Illinois 140 posts
4th Apr '08
Quoting iMommy: