9 month old coughing/vomiting, wasn't sure what to do user banned
19th Jan '12

My 9 month old has a cold, her only symptom is a runny nose. Sometimes she breathes in the drainage going down her throat and starts coughing pretty hard. Tonight she coughed so hard she threw up. Then kept coughing, and threw up again.

My question is, with a child that young, what do you do when they're throwing up? I had her in a standing position, feet on the floor, and supported her weight with my hands under her armpits.

Just to be safe, I'm taking her to her pedi in the morning to test for pertussis.

user banned 2 kids; Minnesota 7318 posts
19th Jan '12
Quoting PoorLittleSadSack:" My 9 month old has a cold, her only symptom is a runny nose. Sometimes she breathes in the drainage going ... [snip!] ... her weight with my hands under her armpits. Just to be safe, I'm taking her to her pedi in the morning to test for pertussis."

If she was repeatedly throwing up (which she did a lot at that age :() I'd keep her on my lap and just hold a bucket in front of her. When it was a surprise throw up, I'd just turn my face away and hold her any way I could to not get it all over the both of us.

La~La 4 kids; Houston, Texas 22036 posts
19th Jan '12
Quoting PoorLittleSadSack:" My 9 month old has a cold, her only symptom is a runny nose. Sometimes she breathes in the drainage going ... [snip!] ... her weight with my hands under her armpits. Just to be safe, I'm taking her to her pedi in the morning to test for pertussis."

a baby? id probably just go get ass nekkid with them and get in the shower and let them puke all over me while i was cuddling them. At that age i can only imagine that puking is absolutely terrifying.

A, E & W's mommy 4 kids; 1 angel baby; Bulgaria 16256 posts
19th Jan '12

If they were sick and I didn't know when it would be coming I'd put one large towel on the ground beside their crib and another on the change table or somewhere nearby so that when I picked them up I would quickly drape myself in my towel so that they'd throw up on that instead. My dad had like 5 robes he'd wear when we were sick, he let us throw up on him and then just switch robes, lol

7 blessings so far.... Due February 3; 6 kids; Glen Burnie, Maryland 8799 posts
19th Jan '12

if the vomitting continues u mite want to get some pedialite to keep from getting dehydrated. plus milk based products cause more irritation when it mixes w/mucus so feeding milk or formula right now may not be a good idea.

Ronnie RadKat 4 kids; Arizona 22168 posts
19th Jan '12

Is she throwing up milk or just mucus?

Nicole.D. 2 kids; Hawkins, Wisconsin 78 posts
19th Jan '12

make sure that if she goes to sleep that she is on her side and can't roll onto her back, that way if she gets sick in the middle of the night she doesn't choke.

user banned 1 child; Austin, Texas 10068 posts
19th Jan '12
Quoting Bad {MAM} -A- Jamma:" Is she throwing up milk or just mucus?"

Mucus + solids (she had eaten dinner an hour prior)

19th Jan '12
Quoting Chim Richalds:" If she was repeatedly throwing up (which she did a lot at that age :() I'd keep her on my lap and just ... [snip!] ... When it was a surprise throw up, I'd just turn my face away and hold her any way I could to not get it all over the both of us."

It was definitely a surprise throw up, I didn't have the smarts to turn her away from me. I was kind of flipping out inside thinking it would never end.

19th Jan '12
Quoting La~La:" a baby? id probably just go get ass nekkid with them and get in the shower and let them puke all over ... [snip!] ... and let them puke all over me while i was cuddling them. At that age i can only imagine that puking is absolutely terrifying. "

I might just drag her into the shower next time, or at least hold her over the sink.
But I didn't want to ... move her... in case she coughed so hard she broke a rib or something...

Ronnie RadKat 4 kids; Arizona 22168 posts
19th Jan '12
Quoting PoorLittleSadSack:" Mucus + solids (she had eaten dinner an hour prior)"

I would take her into the bathroom and run the hottest water possible. Steam the bathroom up really well and just sit in there with her for awhile. You can also lay her tummy down on your lap, firmly pat and rub her back in an upward motion. This will loosen the mucus so she'll stop coughing so hard that she vomits. Lucas had croup last week, he was doing the same thing.
You can give her pedialyte or diluted white grape or apple juice if you are worried about dehydration. A cool air humidifier during the night helps too

user banned 2 kids; Minnesota 7318 posts
19th Jan '12
Quoting PoorLittleSadSack:" It was definitely a surprise throw up, I didn't have the smarts to turn her away from me. I was kind of flipping out inside thinking it would never end."

:( it's so sad to see them throw up, and it's...gross at the same time. I remember once, I had my daughter in the ergo and she puked ALL OVER me. OMG it was terrible and there was nothing I could do about it cuz she was strapped to me. We were both covered.

I hope she feels better soon. My daughter's coughed so hard she's thrown up before, she did twice right in a row, and then she never did again.

It helps to prop kids up a little when they're sleeping. Lying down flat will make them cough more, and if they can sort of sit up, they'll cough less. I don't know how you feel about co-sleeping, but when my daughter got really bad coughs like that at that age, I'd prop myself up on a bunch of pillows and hold her while we slept so she didn't just roll off of them and end up laying flat anyway.

But...obviously that's also a suffocation hazard so use your own judgment.

La~La 4 kids; Houston, Texas 22036 posts
19th Jan '12
Quoting PoorLittleSadSack:" I might just drag her into the shower next time, or at least hold her over the sink. But I didn't want to ... move her... in case she coughed so hard she broke a rib or something..."

highly unlikely. babies are made flexible for a reason.

19th Jan '12
Quoting A, E & W's mommy:" If they were sick and I didn't know when it would be coming I'd put one large towel on the ground beside ... [snip!] ... on that instead. My dad had like 5 robes he'd wear when we were sick, he let us throw up on him and then just switch robes, lol"

Hey, that's a good idea! I'll just wear an apron all day. :)

19th Jan '12
Quoting Bad {MAM} -A- Jamma:" I would take her into the bathroom and run the hottest water possible. Steam the bathroom up really ... [snip!] ... or diluted white grape or apple juice if you are worried about dehydration. A cool air humidifier during the night helps too "

I swear our kids are the same. They seem to go through the same things at the same time. I'm sorry to hear about the croup :( Must have been trying...

Thanks, I'll try steaming the bathroom to hell tomorrow morning. I misplaced the humidifier, looks like my ass will be rummaging through the garage tomorrow. And I was so worried about not having any plans :)