16 month old hasn't pooped mamadebs Due January 14 (boy); 19 kids; Ohio 5007 posts
24th Feb '12

in a week :shock: I've tried apple juice, apple sauce, grapes (cut in quarters), pears, peaches, oatmeal- nothing has worked! She's still breastfed- nurses ever 2-3 hours, still having lots of wet diapers. She's been on steroids because of some wheezing- I think that may be what blocked her up. I've got a call into the Dr., but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. Any of your LO's ever go through this? Anything else I should try?

Kelly&Coralie 1 child; Rochester, NY, United States 56008 posts
status 24th Feb '12

Next step minght be anal stim, followed by a few days of miralax to get her back on track

mamadebs Due January 14 (boy); 19 kids; Ohio 5007 posts
24th Feb '12
Quoting Kelly&Coralie:" Next step minght be anal stim, followed by a few days of miralax to get her back on track"

Like rectal temp?

Puff the Magic Dragon! 15 kids; Ontario 14235 posts
24th Feb '12

Yes , try a supository!!!!!

24th Feb '12
Quoting Puff the Magic Dragon!:" Yes , try a supository!!!!!"

Can you get suppositories over the counter for a one year old?

status 24th Feb '12
Quoting mamadebs:" Like rectal temp?"

yeah.

Use a thermometer or a qtip with lots of vaseline

status 24th Feb '12
Quoting mamadebs:" Can you get suppositories over the counter for a one year old?"

yeah you can get them for infants way younger than that

24th Feb '12
Quoting Kelly&Coralie:" yeah. Use a thermometer or a qtip with lots of vaseline"

:!:

yes, & you can get suppositories over the counter.

.nnnb British Columbia 18155 posts
24th Feb '12

you havent tried prunes? my LO was so constipated she was in pain and we loaded her up with prune juice then let her have some mild chili at a family BBQ. she loved it lol. Luckily i had to leave for work and BD clean that diaper out that evening hehe.

24th Feb '12
Quoting mamadebs:" Can you get suppositories over the counter for a one year old?"

I used them on my newborns when they needed them.

24th Feb '12
Quoting Puff the Magic Dragon!:" I used them on my newborns when they needed them."

I had no idea! Good to know- and probably something I should keep around the house- lol.

deleted crazy train, tx, Holy See (Vatican City State) 9655 posts
24th Feb '12

My oldest was on steroids for a long time. From 3 months until just under 2 years. They really blocked her up and she was on stomach medications and miralax after none of the natural things worked for her.

If the rectal stimulant doesn't work, I'd call the doctor and ask for the proper dosage for miralax. A couple days of it should help her get back into her normal groove.

HamHam 18 kids; India 3485 posts
24th Feb '12

I would try raisins. Just cut them up a bit. I believe they're safe after 7 months of age. It always works immediately for my daughter if she is ever constipated.

24th Feb '12
Quoting SmashleynSmallyPants:" you havent tried prunes? my LO was so constipated she was in pain and we loaded her up with prune juice ... [snip!] ... mild chili at a family BBQ. she loved it lol. Luckily i had to leave for work and BD clean that diaper out that evening hehe. "

I actually have some kidney beans in the pantry- I hadn't thought of beans until you said chilli- I might make her those for lunch. I bet my MIL has prunes at her house, too. :)

24th Feb '12
Quoting Brobee:" My oldest was on steroids for a long time. From 3 months until just under 2 years. They really blocked ... [snip!] ... call the doctor and ask for the proper dosage for miralax. A couple days of it should help her get back into her normal groove."

I was pretty sure that's what caused it. She takes inhaled steroids every day for asthma,, but when she started wheezing they doubled her dose of the inhaler and put her on orapred (prednisone) and that's when the trouble started.