4 month wellness check results are worrying me... A.K.'s Mommy❤TTC#2 TTC since Jul 2013; 1 child; Dayton, Ohio 1803 posts
30th Mar '12

Aidan turned 4 months old on March 18th. He had his wellness check & shots today. His age as of today is 4 months, 1 week, & 5 days old, but his adjusted age is 2 months & 3 weeks old (He was born on November 18th at 32 weeks & 4 days). They measured him & weighed him, & this is what they said:

Height - 23 3/4 inches
Weight - 12 lbs 6 oz
Head circumference - 40.7 centimeters

He's only gained about one pound in almost two months. He was 3 lbs, 13 oz when he was born, 17.5 inches long, & his head circumference was 30 centimeters. She didn't have a preemie growth chart so she was using a growth chart for a full term baby that was 4 months so his percentiles were (in order) 1%, 1%, & 14%. She also did mention that she was going to keep an eye on the growth of his head, & she wants me to try giving hin NeoSure to help him gain some weight.

When I got home, I Googled growth charts & I found one for preemies, but it doesn't give me any percentiles:

34i5nqo.pngETA: The red dots are where I'm guessing he is? I don't really understand it.)

I then used a different growth chart & put him as 2 months old, as it didn't have a preemie feature, & it said this:

Based on the data you submitted, your child falls into the following percentiles:Length = between percentile 50 and 75
Weight = between percentile 50 and 75
Head Circumference = above percentile 95

I'm just really confused ha. & just really anxious. If anybody could PLEASE help me, I would appreciate it. I'm trying not to be in tears; Having him so early was one thing but I've always been so worried about his development. He seems on time with everything, he can hold his head up, babble away, grab stuff, watch people & objects, & recognizes voices.. But I am just worried about his weight & lengths.

~Nanin~ Due November 19; 1 child; 2 angel babies; KILLEEN, TX, United States 942 posts
30th Mar '12

well if it makes u feel any better my daughter was only 2 lbs lighter at his age and she was a full term 8lb baby, as for your premie growth chart the black lines are how your premie "should be progressing" and since your pretty close to those lines i'd say that means hes growing like he is supposed to. Every baby grows differently though...

Inlimbo Due November 29; Netherlands 38 posts
30th Mar '12

I don't have a preemie, but I can try to help interpret the chart for you.

Based on the chart, your son is average.

The green area indicates where about 68% of the preemies fall and since he falls within this area I wouldn't worry too much. Again, based on the graph, only if he feel outside of the dotted lines would he be anywhere close to the 1%-2% percentile that your doctor found on the regular chart.

Inlimbo Due November 29; Netherlands 38 posts
30th Mar '12

If what I wrote above isn't clear then let me know and I will try to explain better. But don't worry, it looks like he's right where he should be!