5 year old kissing his cousin on lips...? J's Mommy ♥ 2 kids; California 2385 posts
19th Apr '12

It was brought to our attention last night that my 5 year old kissed his 5 year old cousin on the lips yesterday. By what her parents said was that she didn't want to and my son told her to be brave. She told her parents that she didn't like that, understandably. They made a big issue even telling us they didn't want the kids to play together anymore. I have yet to talk to my son but I don't know how to handle this, what to say to him so he understands that he cant do that but also not make him feel bad. My husband and I just feel like they are making my son out to be some kind of "molester". They're just 5 year olds and I know kids are curious and do stuff like this, but I don't want him to be doing this. It upsets me that they are separating them for this when their oldest daughter, she's 9, I always teasing my son and his cousin that they are boyfriend and girlfriend.
How do I handle this? What is the best way to talk to my son about this?
Also, we share back yards and they are always outside playing, im not going to keep my son locked up so....how do I do I deal with this when her parents don't want the kids playing together?

Kimber-lily Due September 27 (girl); 4 kids; Nova Scotia 28962 posts
19th Apr '12
Quoting J's Mommy ♥:" It was brought to our attention last night that my 5 year old kissed his 5 year old cousin on the lips ... [snip!] ... im not going to keep my son locked up so....how do I do I deal with this when her parents don't want the kids playing together?"

Just continue on with your day normally. That includes taking your child outside whenever you want to, if she honestly doesn't want the kids playing together she can remove hers from the situation. I bet she will get tired of doing it, and get over it quickly.

1inpink2inblue Switzerland 11961 posts
19th Apr '12

Just sit him down and ask him why he did it then explain that he cant do that for whatever reasons you want to give. as far as them sharing a yard let your son out like you normally would and if theu dont like it they can bring their kid in. it was perfectly inoccent and they over reacted to it.

J's Mommy ♥ 2 kids; California 2385 posts
19th Apr '12

Thank you! :)

Thr3e Little Birds 35 kids; Marysville, Washington 2720 posts
19th Apr '12
Quoting 1inpink1inblue:" Just sit him down and ask him why he did it then explain that he cant do that for whatever reasons you ... [snip!] ... you normally would and if theu dont like it they can bring their kid in. it was perfectly inoccent and they over reacted to it."

:!:

Nina Turley Due September 20 (boy); 1 child; Reno, Nevada 136 posts
19th Apr '12

If the daughter is telling them she is uncomfortable, and you don't talk to your son, then what are you going to do when he is in school and gets in trouble for doing this to another child?
You just need to be stern and tell him not to kiss girls. Wait for a girl to kiss him!
LOL! Sounds silly.
My first kiss was in kindergarten. I thought it was cool but when I told my mom she freaked out. Each parent is different but no one needs that drama in their lives having the phantom kisser. Unfortunately for my kissing partner his mom was a teacher at the school But we all did it because we were in a k-8 school so chances are he is doing this from something he learned from others.

Tanner's & Tyler's Mommy TTC since Sep 2014; 2 kids; 1 angel baby; Friendswood, TX, United States 1928 posts
20th Apr '12

That is ridiculous for them not to allow the kids to play together. I would just tell your son not to go around kissing other people. He is just showing his love for people. My son was trying to kiss my little sister who is 7 and he is 5 and I just redirected him saying that wasn't ok.

elisabeth♡ 49 kids; Connecticut 853 posts
20th Apr '12
Quoting Nina Turley:" If the daughter is telling them she is uncomfortable, and you don't talk to your son, then what are you ... [snip!] ... school But we all did it because we were in a k-8 school so chances are he is doing this from something he learned from others."

That's stupid IMO.... just tell your son that he shouldn't be kissing any kids right now. My first kiss was in the first grade.... this kid I went to Sunday School with saw me from across the playground and ran over to me yelling me name and kissed me square on the lips. It was the most embarrassing thing, OMG, I ran to my teacher hysterically crying over it :lol: