12 week old boxer getting thin. Frankie-marie 18 kids; Texas 887 posts
20th Apr '12

So I have a 12 week old boxer, he seems to be getting thin! We feed him more then a cup each three times a week. We have puppy food for him since it has more nutrients and such. I've been feeding him more and more, and he drinks tons of water, what else is there to do so he doesn't lose any more weight? I'm fixing to get him into the vet for more shot, but until then is there something else we can do?

HotMom21ERF Due December 17 (twins); 1 child; Kentucky 20673 posts
20th Apr '12

hmmm maybe she has worms?? idk hopefully she's fine

Frankie-marie 18 kids; Texas 887 posts
20th Apr '12
Quoting HotMom21ERF:" hmmm maybe she has worms?? idk hopefully she's fine"

uhh I didn't think about that, You can see it in his stool right? If he does?

AwakenedIndigo 1 child; Pennsylvania 109 posts
20th Apr '12

you feed him 3 times a week? is that what your saying? .. because if so... umm.. dogs should be eating twice a day.
I might be reading your post wrong. im pregnant. haha :)

Harajuku Girl 3 kids; Your House, NY, United States 14034 posts
20th Apr '12
Quoting HotMom21ERF:" hmmm maybe she has worms?? idk hopefully she's fine"

I was thinking the same thing :(

_______Nope_________ 23772 posts
20th Apr '12
Quoting Frankie-marie:" So I have a 12 week old boxer, he seems to be getting thin! We feed him more then a cup each three times ... [snip!] ... lose any more weight? I'm fixing to get him into the vet for more shot, but until then is there something else we can do?"

My doberman was like that. The vet told me that basically for some larger breeds they have such high calories expenditures due to growing that they can't take in enough calories. Think about toddlers. THey often get skinny even if they're eating a ton.

A check up is a good idea, but for my doberman at least it was just a stage. He got over it and put on weight later.

Squid Kid Unavailable, NA, United States 32450 posts
20th Apr '12

He could be having a growth spurt or the food you're feeding him doesn't have enough protein and carbs. Boxers are highly active dogs, they need a lot of protein and so many dog foods are full of crap.

20th Apr '12
Quoting AwakenedIndigo:" you feed him 3 times a week? is that what your saying? .. because if so... umm.. dogs should be eating twice a day. I might be reading your post wrong. im pregnant. haha :)"

You just made me do a double take.

Shit, now I have pregnancy brain.

20th Apr '12

I wrote this article here: http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/threads/how-much-should-i-be-feeding-a-guideline.10395/

It focuses mainly on huskies, but is a good general guide line.

20th Apr '12
Quoting AwakenedIndigo:" you feed him 3 times a week? is that what your saying? .. because if so... umm.. dogs should be eating twice a day. I might be reading your post wrong. im pregnant. haha :)"

haha I mean three times a day

20th Apr '12
Quoting Frankie-marie:" haha I mean three times a day"

Is that him in your avi?

He's adorable. Are you keeping his ears uncropped?

20th Apr '12
Quoting Teagans_Mom:" My doberman was like that. The vet told me that basically for some larger breeds they have such high ... [snip!] ... a ton. A check up is a good idea, but for my doberman at least it was just a stage. He got over it and put on weight later."

Oh okay, how many times did you feed him? My dogs ribs are starting to show. I'm thinking about adding puppy milk to his diet.

20th Apr '12

Actually, dogs are gougers and in some cases, it can be more beneficial to only feed every other day.

HotMom21ERF Due December 17 (twins); 1 child; Kentucky 20673 posts
20th Apr '12

yes, the worms will be in the stool

AwakenedIndigo 1 child; Pennsylvania 109 posts
20th Apr '12
Quoting Frankie-marie:" haha I mean three times a day"

haha ok.. i was like.. umm well theres the issue. :) i have newfoundland .. 150lbs and he eats 7 cups of food a day.. haha <3