15 month old in toddler bed? Mama of *3* TTC since Feb 2013; 3 kids; Wisconsin 15846 posts
21st Apr '12

Did anyone have their LO in a toddler bed so young? My daughter will be 16 months on the 3rd but is sort of behind..shes small for her age and just recently started to climb on things. She can walk but knows crawling is quicker so she crawls more than she chooses to walk. My oldest was just put in a toddler bed after co sleeping 2.5 yrs and my youngest LOVES it. She will climb up there and lay down--but its always just to be there, not to sleep.

I'm having a 3rd baby in June and have no choice but to stuff me and all the kids in one room for the first couple months. Right now with her crib/changing table (that dont disconnect), Alexa's toddler bed, the dresser and my bed there is no space except for a bit in the middle of the floor. Having my youngest in a toddler bed instead of the crib would be a huge space saver but I'm not sure if she would be ok in one.

If your LO was in one this young, how did things go? How long did it take before they were ok and stayed in it?

Mrs.floyd(to-be) 3 kids; Georgia 916 posts
21st Apr '12

i tried mine at 16 MO in a toddler bed.... BAD IDEA she was in my room at 3 am for a week straight screaming her lugs out and sleeping on my head :( needless to say we've tried 3 times since then she just turned 2 and she is still in a crib lol

Mama of *3* TTC since Feb 2013; 3 kids; Wisconsin 15846 posts
21st Apr '12
Quoting [Kali baby]+2:" i tried mine at 16 MO in a toddler bed.... BAD IDEA she was in my room at 3 am for a week straight screaming ... [snip!] ... out and sleeping on my head :( needless to say we've tried 3 times since then she just turned 2 and she is still in a crib lol "

sleeping on your head lol lol

I'm afraid Bella would never stay in hers lol. Alexa was in my bed for over 2 years so I didnt deal with any of that. Now at almost 3 she ASKED for her own bed. Bella would probably be like oooo no more prison bars lets go! haha

user banned 2 kids; Kansas 903 posts
22nd Apr '12

My son will be 15 months on the 28th and he's been in a toddler bed for almost 2 months and he LOVES it!! I also bought the side guard from walmart so he's got a little space to get up and down out of bed. He used to sleep all night but once we put him in this bed he would wake up atleast once a night, but we stuck to it and now he's sleeping all night and when he does get up, he walks straight over to our bed lol Plus it helps a lot that his bed is in our room too

HannahChristine 18 kids; Jacksonville, North Carolina 707 posts
22nd Apr '12

I recently put my daughter in a toddler bed (at 19 months) because she climbed out of her crib before I could even get to the bedroom door.. and I was afraid she'd break her neck :/

We've been doing pretty good with it so far. Its only been a week though. I let her stand on a stool and turn the lights out, she gets in bed and I read her a book. If she sits up I stop reading and sit there and wait. Then start again when she lays down. I ask her if she wants the book to sleep with her and normally lay it on her pillow. She has woken up at 3am once with nightmares and I laid in bed with her (she has a twin with a guardrail) but other than that everything has gone pretty good! She'll sometimes get up and play during nap time but I let her go (I shut her door) and she will crawl back in bed and go to sleep. It she pitches a fit I go back in read a shorter book and try again. We havent gone past 3 books yet lol

sophiehurtt London, United Kingdom 96 posts
18th Apr '13
Quoting L&B +1:" Did anyone have their LO in a toddler bed so young? My daughter will be 16 months on the 3rd but is sort ... [snip!] ... be ok in one. If your LO was in one this young, how did things go? How long did it take before they were ok and stayed in it?"

I switch my kids to a toddler bed at the age of 2. She loves it.