27 weeks and cervix "slightly open"... MonkeyLovin' 1 child; Nebraska 417 posts
22nd Apr '12

According to my doctor.

Is this okay/normal? o.O
I am ascared. Everything else was normal with it.

Abbey & Ethan ((EBFB)) Due December 10; 2 kids; New Hampshire 23067 posts
22nd Apr '12
Quoting 27weeks&counting:" According to my doctor. Is this okay/normal? o.O I am ascared. Everything else was normal with it."

First child? It's normal in 2nd and so on pregnancies. As long as you're not dilating, efacing, or having contractions and your water is intact, I wouldn't worry. It could be nothing.

TootsMcGoots 1 child; Saskatchewan 3946 posts
22nd Apr '12
Quoting 27weeks&counting:" According to my doctor. Is this okay/normal? o.O I am ascared. Everything else was normal with it."

Well what did your Dr say about it? Did he seem concerned?

MonkeyLovin' 1 child; Nebraska 417 posts
22nd Apr '12
Quoting Florence Bigs:" Well what did your Dr say about it? Did he seem concerned?"

Well not really I don't think, I was just diagnosed with Bacterial Vaginosis and she gave me some antibiotics and I looked it up a while ago and saw that it was linked to pre-term labor and freaked out, especially since she checked my cervix in the same visit and said that my cervix was normal but it was just slightly open. I don't THINK she seemed too concerned, but I'm not sure.

Just seems weird to me that I'm diagnosed with something that can cause pre-term labor and then my cervix is apparently slightly open.

22nd Apr '12

If your Dr didn't seem concerned, then I don't think you should be. Stressing about it isn't gonna help. If there was any risk involved, they would have told you.

22nd Apr '12
Quoting Florence Bigs:" If your Dr didn't seem concerned, then I don't think you should be. Stressing about it isn't gonna help. If there was any risk involved, they would have told you."

You're probably right. I tend to worry about every little thing nowadays - my momma instinct kicking in. Haha, thank you.

22nd Apr '12
Quoting 27weeks&counting:" You're probably right. I tend to worry about every little thing nowadays - my momma instinct kicking in. Haha, thank you."

No problem :)

hippy mumma 19 kids; Del Valle, Texas 1251 posts
22nd Apr '12

with my first pregnancy my cervix was open from 16 weeks on, i started dilating at 28 weeks. at 36 weeks i was 2 1/2 cm and stayed there till 39 weeks when i delivered. 2nd child opened cervix but no dilation till i had hit 36 weeks i dilated to 3 and stayed there till 38 weeks, my 3rd pregnancy open cervix dialted to 1 cm at 28 weeks, then 2 cm at 34 weeks and 3 cm at 36 weeks went into full labour at 36 1/2 weeks starting at 4cm my water broke. your cervix can be open at the tip and closed inside. as long as its closed inside (not dilated) its normal and ok.

22nd Apr '12
Quoting hippy mumma:" with my first pregnancy my cervix was open from 16 weeks on, i started dilating at 28 weeks. at 36 weeks ... [snip!] ... broke. your cervix can be open at the tip and closed inside. as long as its closed inside (not dilated) its normal and ok. "

Wow, very thorough, thank you :) I feel lots better.

Jeeper 1 child; Orlando, Florida 2287 posts
22nd Apr '12

At least your doctor thought to check. I am due the day before you and my doctor hasn't given me an exam since my first visit at 5 weeks when he did a pap smear. Which is a little concerning because I have already had some contractions and I have chronic BV that they can't get rid of no matter what they do. As long as your doctor knows now and she isn't worried I don't think you should worry.

shawna* Due December 5 (girl); 1 child; Windsor, Ontario 569 posts
22nd Apr '12

Like everyone else has said Im sure you are just fine! :). If your Dr was worried about it she would have definately told you and taken the steps to do something about it. At just under 23 weeks I began effacing and passing blood clots. At 28.6 weeks I started losing my mucus plug, cramping and dilated to 1cm and my cervix was very soft. And here I am due in 12 days and no sign of her coming anytime soon lol! :)

kayla19900 Spennymoor, United Kingdom 674 posts
22nd Apr '12

i had this at 8 weeks after bleeding,had a internal exam and mine was slightly open aswell,im 16 weeks now dont panic alot ov woman dialate at 27 weeks and still get to their due date ,

Heather Strang 3 kids; Arena, Wisconsin 64 posts
27th Oct '12

I will be 28 weeks tomorrow and also have a history of pre-term labor. my youngest (will be 4) was born at 33 weeks. this one I have been getting monthly ultrasounds because my cervix is shrinking, I got told it should be 3 cm at this time and I'm at 1.8cm. A high risk doctor checked my cervix on Thursday and I was dialated 1-2 cm. I have a positive fFN test and it came back positive (pre term labor test that states I could go within the next two weeks (been a week)) So with all these tests that have been done on me I got put on modified bed rest at home then came to see the high risk doctor and she put me on hospital bed rest. I have an almost 4 ad 5 year old at home and during the week they will prolly have to go to daycare. I dont get to see them much as I live 45 minutes away from where im at. My husband works during the week too so I dont get to see him much either. But trust me Im trying to take it as easy as posssible so this baby dont come super early. If your doctor hasnt did any other test or seem alarmed I wouldnt worry to much about it.