2 year old in gymnastics? Kenzye and Chris' Mommy : 2 kids; Lebanon, Missouri 14524 posts
2nd May '12

If you have your toddler in gymnastics...or your 2 year old (my daughter's age) what did they do?
I took my daughter to a tryout tonight and she LOVED it! But when they told me what they teach them it was kind of scary...
When I asked what they did in the 2 year old class I was told, "We do the basics. You know like: hand stands, cartwheels, somersaults, back bends, how to run-jump- and do a roll flip."
That seems like a LOT for a 2 year old...but I honestly don't know. She LOVED doing the handstands tonight...

summerbabyX2 2 kids; Pennsylvania 4019 posts
2nd May '12

My DD would love that but I agee that's a bit much. I'm going to dance with her first because I was afraid of that

user banned TTA since Sep 2007; 1 child; Kansas 16909 posts
2nd May '12

Depends on your kid.

my oldest started gymnastics at 18 months. he kicked ass.

my 19 month old did a trial class and he is not ready.

really just depends on the kid

Kenzye and Chris' Mommy : 2 kids; Lebanon, Missouri 14524 posts
2nd May '12
Quoting Philly.:" Depends on your kid. my oldest started gymnastics at 18 months. he kicked ass. my 19 month old did a trial class and he is not ready. really just depends on the kid"

Oh I think she is ready...that just seems like so much for a 2 year old to do...I mean it might not be...and with them only going once a week its not like they are pushing them hard...they seemed VERY good with her tonight and she was really excited to do everything. Her favorite was the handstand and the somersaults.

user banned TTA since Sep 2007; 1 child; Kansas 16909 posts
2nd May '12
Quoting Kenzye and Chris' Mommy ::" Oh I think she is ready...that just seems like so much for a 2 year old to do...I mean it might not be...and ... [snip!] ... VERY good with her tonight and she was really excited to do everything. Her favorite was the handstand and the somersaults."

no. she won't be doing perfect cartwheels. lol

they just start the basic foundation of it.

it will be fun. not something to stress over.

~Cullen & Ridley's Mommy~ 3 kids; 3 angel babies; Missouri 18926 posts
2nd May '12

Cullen has been doing gymnastics since he turned 2, they teach him tables/backbends, cartwheels, forward and backward rolls, forward and backwards flips on bars, he does all sorts of different things on the balance beam, they have trampoline time where they teach them different drops, spins, rolls and jumps. And other basic stuff, running, skipping, galloping, hopping on both and one foot. Different hangs and holds to help build upper body strength. They have him do so much, I know I have left things out.

ღDr. MamaBunkie+ 1 child; Montague, Michigan 218 posts
2nd May '12

If you/they think she's ready, why it give it a shot?

Around here you have to be 3 or 4 to do gymnastics or dance, Sophie would do amazing I'm sure in either. She loves to dance. She twirls countless times
Everyday! I hope she'll still love it when she's old enough to be in a class.

2nd May '12

Its only $40 a month for this so I think im going to do it...if she decides she doesn't like it, it's a pay by month program so we could always stop if she changes her mind or appears to not enjoy or be ready anymore.

2nd May '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting Kenzye and Chris' Mommy ::</b>" Its only $40 a month for this so I think im going to do it...if she decides she doesn't like it, it's ... [snip!] ... it, it's a pay by month program so we could always stop if she changes her mind or appears to not enjoy or be ready anymore."</blockquote>

That's awesome. Sounds like a great plan!
It's cool that they let her try out. (:
I hope she has a blast!!

2nd May '12
Quoting ღDr. MamaBunkie+:" <blockquote><b>Quoting Kenzye and Chris' Mommy ::</b>" Its only $40 a month for this ... [snip!] ... That's awesome. Sounds like a great plan! It's cool that they let her try out. (: I hope she has a blast!!"

They had an open gym and each age group had an instructor. It worked out well because by the time we got there, there were no other little ones so she got one-on-one attention for an hour and a half!

2nd May '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting Kenzye and Chris' Mommy ::</b>" They had an open gym and each age group had an instructor. It worked out well because by the time we got there, there were no other little ones so she got one-on-one attention for an hour and a half!"</blockquote>

Even more awesome!!

Turtley Mikey Due October 31; 2 kids; California 50611 posts
2nd May '12
Quoting Kenzye and Chris' Mommy ::" If you have your toddler in gymnastics...or your 2 year old (my daughter's age) what did they do? I took ... [snip!] ... do a roll flip." That seems like a LOT for a 2 year old...but I honestly don't know. She LOVED doing the handstands tonight..."

I'm signing A up soon!

She went to the Y for a birthday party for my friends little girl and they had it in the gymnastics room. She loved every minute of it. I can't wait to take her.

rebldomakr 1 child; Maryland 47258 posts
3rd May '12

they seem a little more advanced thean what my 2 y/o does in gymnastics. we go every weds and they just do tumbles, running, bars, foam pit, trampoline, low balance beams, forward rolls and a bit more. back bends and somersaults for a 2 y/o class? that seems a bit much imo.

SharkBait 2 kids; Kansas 9080 posts
3rd May '12

For 2 year olds here the parents do the class with them. My 3 year old does front rolls, back rolls, head stand, balance beam. There is more, but it doesn't seem as advanced as what you said

3rd May '12

Im figuring we'll give it a shot and let her see how she likes it going once a week. If she seems to get bored or something I won't push it and if it seems too much i will stop too...I don't want her getting hurt because they are doing something she just isn't ready to do yet...