25 days left, & Worried. LisaTrisler Due June 24; Ohio 227 posts
31st May '12

Im starting to get VERY excited to have my daughter, Im naming her Kyleigh Taylor Shea, Im just worried about one thing though, The epidural, I hward you could get paralyzed from that and its kinda got me confused.. Lol now im debating wether to get it or not.. :( But i think i will be begging for it from what i heard, What do you guys think :??

❤mukhins ❤ 18 kids; Moscow, Russian Federation 21957 posts
31st May '12

Do what feels best. I didn't get an epi for all 3 of my girls. Some women can take the pain, some can't.

j.a.c 3 kids; 1 angel baby; Virginia 2165 posts
31st May '12

lol yeah, there is a risk, but there's risk with everything.. i had 3 spinals for my c-sections, you just have to sit real still and not move.. but it's optional for a normal birth.. don't get it if you don't want!

wilde_mommy 4 kids; Columbus, Ohio 3459 posts
31st May '12

There are other things they can give you for pain besides the epidural. I can not have one because of a bad reaction I get. I pass out, blood pressure drops dangerously low, and I shake and vomit non stop until it's flushed out of my system. I've had natural child birth and it's really not that bad.

user banned 1 child; California 1107 posts
31st May '12

If you're in bad enough pain, you won't care about the risks haha.

laurenmik 3 kids; Aurora, Colorado 7212 posts
31st May '12

Research research research! Just decide if it's a risk you're willing to take.

I've had 2 and have no issues but I was informed of the risks.

Good luck!

LisaTrisler Due June 24; Ohio 227 posts
31st May '12
Quoting j.a.c:" lol yeah, there is a risk, but there's risk with everything.. i had 3 spinals for my c-sections, you ... [snip!] ... you just have to sit real still and not move.. but it's optional for a normal birth.. don't get it if you don't want!

I just dont know if im the type that wants to take that risk !! I havent heard of it paralyzing anyone that i know or anyone that ive heard of just really scarey cause they said they make you aign a paper that basically says, If we paralyze you, you cant sue us haha!! :)

LumpySpacePrincess 2 kids; New Zealand 17060 posts
31st May '12

Read up on it! Always good, ask your midwife/doctor

And you never know if you will need it or not (well some women do but I know personally I didn't rule anything out) with my first my epi failed so it was a natural delivery, wit my second I had him natural cos I didn't want another failed epi.

Honestly, you will know what you can handle. Talk to your SO/birthing partner about what you want in the way of a birth, write up a birthing plan and do what feels like the best choice for you!

Meece Due July 29; 2 kids; 2 angel babies; New Zealand 505 posts
31st May '12

With my first I got an epi. It was good for a while, but it wore off before it was time to push and made my back hurt for weeks after. With DD#2 I didn't get anything and it was SO much easier. It hurt about the same giving birth, but afterwards I felt great and was so happy I didn't get the epidural.

Good Luck :)

Kai_mommie Due July 18; Leesburg, Florida 65 posts
31st May '12

my friend got one and she had a migrane for 2 weeks..

~Elliott's.Mommy~ 1 child; Eugene, Oregon 3794 posts
31st May '12
Quoting LisaTrisler:" Im starting to get VERY excited to have my daughter, Im naming her Kyleigh Taylor Shea, Im just worried ... [snip!] ... now im debating wether to get it or not.. :( But i think i will be begging for it from what i heard, What do you guys think :??"

its very possible. but not something that happens a lot. My aunt almost got paralyzed from it because they hit a nerve. But if they take their time to find the spot i dont think it'll happen

nicki4455 Due June 7; Okanogan, Washington 30 posts
9th Jun '12

i had the epurdal and i thought it was the best thing ever, but they had to take it off becuase i couldnt push. but its really up to you if you want it.

K.E.J[Brantley's Mommy] 1 child; Greenville, South Carolina 39 posts
9th Jun '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting LisaTrisler:</b>" Im starting to get VERY excited to have my daughter, Im naming her Kyleigh Taylor Shea, Im just worried ... [snip!] ... now im debating wether to get it or not.. :( But i think i will be begging for it from what i heard, What do you guys think :??"</blockquote>

I was going to mine natural, i tried i went a whole monday and part of a tuesday staying on a 1cm and around 1pm tuesday, i finially argeed to get the epidural, an hour later the nurse came in to check me, i went from a 1 to a 9 in an hour. She went to call the doctor and came back, i was already to a 10. And i pushed for 30minutes and he was born. All i felt was a little pessure but didnt hurt. So the epidural actually helps.

jaidens mom* 18 kids; Portland, Oregon 110 posts
10th Jun '12

I had the epi and it worked miracles I did not have any pain just felt pressure and I had no side effects I am planing on having it again with this one you just have to relax and sit still and let the Dr take their time and you should be fine if that's what you choose to do good luck mama

Shelsies a mommy! 1 child; Wareham, Massachusetts 384 posts
14th Jun '12

Best advice is ask you midwife or doctor and they should give you a brochure on it, which they did to me. If they don't just read about on multiple sites to see if it's something you'd like to do.