3 days PD---if you were MORE than 4 centimeters dilated when faithFULLtina Due June 10 (boy); Colorado 32 posts
14th Jun '12

today marks 3 days PD and at first I was really bummed out when my son didn't come on his due date at least (I wanted him to come early) but now I'm totally fine with him not being here. I am 4 centimeters as of yesterday morning, my cervix is thin, dropped, but backwards still, my mucus plug has come out (just the mucus plug no bloody show), and I have the menstraul like cramping everyday. sometimes they even come 5-7 minutes apart but they aren't consistent enough to be considered active labor. I figure at this rate I may be 5-6 centimeters dilated by the time active labor starts! which I don't mind since I'm dilating without the painful contractions!! what's funny is I told people I would be 7 centimeters dilated by the time active labor started so that my labor would be faster, but I was only joking when I said it.

has anyone else been very dilated by the time their active labor started? and if so, how long did your labor last after that?

Brandy&TayTay 1 child; Greensboro, North Carolina 2583 posts
14th Jun '12

i was at 3 cm i think .

iLL-Legal Unicorn Alien 3 kids; New York, TX, United States 37137 posts
14th Jun '12

I was 2 cm the weeks prior to having my first...then 3 cm when I started getting period like cramps, I went to the hospital and they sent me home because I was still at 3 when I went in with constant, strong contractions (we loved up the street fromt he hospital) and when I went back in like 6-7 hours later I was already at 6 so they kept me lol

faithFULLtina Due June 10 (boy); Colorado 32 posts
14th Jun '12
Quoting ☣iLL-Legal Alien:" I was 2 cm the weeks prior to having my first...then 3 cm when I started getting period like cramps, ... [snip!] ... (we loved up the street fromt he hospital) and when I went back in like 6-7 hours later I was already at 6 so they kept me lol"

and how long did your labor last? from when you started having the strong ones all the way until you delivered?

BrittanieY 18 kids; South Carolina 16634 posts
14th Jun '12

I was 3.5 cm for a month before labor and it lasted 9 hours (both times).

My sister was 0 cm when her water broke and she had him within 12 hours.

14th Jun '12
Quoting SuttonTaysMommy:" i was at 3 cm i think ."

oh, see I'm already 4 and I think I will probably be further by the time he starts "coming" in active labor!

user banned 4 kids; Mueang Phuket, Thailand 30487 posts
14th Jun '12

i was 3 to 4cm..

i had gotten checked earlier that week and was at 2 or 3 cm i think..

and when i had been feeling regualr contractions for about 5 hours ( starred RIGHT after sex) i went in to the doctor. I actually had loose stools and a some blood early in the morning, but nothing after that. nothing was coming out and when i went and got checked i was 4cm, walked for an hour 5cm with a bulging bag... my contractions didnt even really hurt until i was 7cm and my water broke.. thats when the pain kicked in..

if i wouldnt of gone into the hosptial there would of been a good chance of a having a baby in a car.

iLL-Legal Unicorn Alien 3 kids; New York, TX, United States 37137 posts
14th Jun '12

Well I had gotten my 39 week check up that day and they stripped my membranes. And that's when I was told I was 3 cm. That night at around dinner time I started having period like cramps at around 7pm, I went in at 1 am and that's when they sent me home, then I went back in at like almost 9 am and that's when they kept me...I had him at 11:44am.

With my second I was way faster...I started having contractions at noon, went to the hospital, got there at 430ish pm, they kept me because I was already 6 cm, I had him at 6 25 pm.

glowinthedark 2 kids; Norway 29301 posts
14th Jun '12

7cm is when transition usually starts so I'm sure you'll feel more than period cramps at that point! Labor length also depends a lot on the station of the baby, you can be fully dilated and the baby can be really high up so you'd have to push longer.

I was almost a 4 last Friday, due tomorrow, and I've been in the early stages of labor since Saturday. My son won't tuck his chin and descend, so I am contracting regularly just not close enough together to bother going in.

14th Jun '12
Quoting ☮ Phuket:" i was 3 to 4cm.. i had gotten checked earlier that week and was at 2 or 3 cm i think.. and when ... [snip!] ... the pain kicked in.. if i wouldnt of gone into the hosptial there would of been a good chance of a having a baby in a car."

so yours was pretty quick moving after the water broke. that's what I'm expecting too, not to have painful contractions until maybe the very last stretch. I figure if I can keep dilating without the pain I'm ALL FOR IT! LoL

JamieP 3 kids; Newnan, Georgia 2063 posts
14th Jun '12

I was 4cms two days before my DD and I went into labor 2 days after my DD. Labor was 6 hours but half of that wasn't too bad and by the time I got to the hospital I was almost 9cms.

M♥rgan 2 kids; Michigan 3592 posts
14th Jun '12
Quoting faithFULLtina:" today marks 3 days PD and at first I was really bummed out when my son didn't come on his due date at ... [snip!] ... has anyone else been very dilated by the time their active labor started? and if so, how long did your labor last after that?"

I was 4 cm dilated with a bulging bag of waters for 4 days before my first son was born, my second son 2 hours before I went into active labor I was sent home from the hospital not dilated at all, he was born that night.

14th Jun '12
Quoting glowinthedark:" 7cm is when transition usually starts so I'm sure you'll feel more than period cramps at that point! ... [snip!] ... My son won't tuck his chin and descend, so I am contracting regularly just not close enough together to bother going in."

oh no, my son is already down. almost into my pelvis, he's SO low! but alas, no regularly consistent contractions. but I could go the whole time without pain, my BF got induced, had no pain meds, but didn't feel even one contraction the whole time and then only pushed for like 20 minutes. so, it's possible! not everyone gets the "strong" contractions.

BlackVelvet 1 child; 1 angel baby; Aurora, Illinois 4349 posts
14th Jun '12

I had gotten my 38 week checkup (I was almost 39 weeks) Doctor said id most likely not make it to my due date. I was 1cm, baby was stationed properly my cervix was very soft ect ect ect.

I didnt have any contractions till Midnight Christmas morning (39w2d) I didnt think anything of it they were highly irregular and didnt really hurt. By 9am they started hurting and the hell if i knew if they were timable I had given up on timing them. I had alot of loose stools 2pm went to the hopital. I was 8-9cm dialated completely effaced and everything. I had my daughter 3:56pm Would of had her sooner but i absolutly hated the deviverly doctor. If i didnt go to the hospital when i did i would of had my kid at my SO's brothers house or in his car.

14th Jun '12
Quoting ☣iLL-Legal Alien:" Well I had gotten my 39 week check up that day and they stripped my membranes. And that's when I was ... [snip!] ... at noon, went to the hospital, got there at 430ish pm, they kept me because I was already 6 cm, I had him at 6 25 pm. "

ah ha! see this is my second and like I said my dilation is about a centimeter a week for the last two weeks, so depending on how much longer he stays in and then once active labor starts I think I could be pretty far along in dilation. my daughter was 4 days early but she took 3 days to come! my son, I'm not expeting any of that long labor and all that with.