38 weeks Charlie Horses! Patricia Mama of 2 Due August 20 (girl); 1 child; Massachusetts 45 posts
9th Aug '12

Hey everyone, SO im 38 weeks and 2 days preganant! and every single moring i wake up with Charlie horses (cramps) in my claf mucels. Is this normal! They are extremly painful! Could it be blood clotting? It scares me because my grandmother passed away at childbirth due to blood clotting in the leg! that was in the 60s but still. Any advice?

Jays*Mama 2 kids; Michigan 5658 posts
9th Aug '12

Its normal and only gets worse the further along you get :( I had them ALL the time when i was pregnant with my son towards the end. Luckily ive only had that happen once this time so far...and it was the most awful pain ever, and after i thought it went away it came right back for round 2 ! I would rather give birth to 10 children than feel those calf cramps.

~The Lunar Flower~ 2 kids; Alabama 6748 posts
9th Aug '12

I'm only 24 weeks & a few days & I got one the 6th that woke me up because the pain was so intense, I just started screaming! Its still sore too :( I've heard eating more bananas/increasing your potassium helps

Patricia Mama of 2 Due August 20 (girl); 1 child; Massachusetts 45 posts
9th Aug '12

They are terribul to get & to get woken up by them is the worst! But glad to hear that it is normal. I dont remember if i got them with my forst born, but this preganancy i been getting them almost every morning for a month now!

lilsoph 2 kids; 1 angel baby; Kokomo, Indiana 4318 posts
status 9th Aug '12

yes normal.... i would limp for days after one :( until someone told me that if when you feel it coming you bend your foot up (so that your toes point to your knee) it goes away without hurting! seriously try it, it was a lifesaver

9th Aug '12

My mother told me to stomp my foot on the floor one time really hard. It works to but its painful to even move your leg while it is happeneing! I will have to try the toe thing tommrow morning cause i know i will be woken up by this once again!

Jays*Mama 2 kids; Michigan 5658 posts
9th Aug '12
Quoting Patricia Mama of 2:" My mother told me to stomp my foot on the floor one time really hard. It works to but its painful to ... [snip!] ... while it is happeneing! I will have to try the toe thing tommrow morning cause i know i will be woken up by this once again!"

I tried moving my leg, but i couldnt even move my body i was in sooo much pain. I couldnt even breathe through it because i was holding my breath it hurt so bad.

lilsoph 2 kids; 1 angel baby; Kokomo, Indiana 4318 posts
status 9th Aug '12
Quoting Patricia Mama of 2:" My mother told me to stomp my foot on the floor one time really hard. It works to but its painful to ... [snip!] ... while it is happeneing! I will have to try the toe thing tommrow morning cause i know i will be woken up by this once again!"

it was the BEST piece of advice someone gave me, seriously you dont need to get up or move your leg (which is darn near impossible when you have them), just your foot! do it real quick and keep it pointing up until its gone... it worked so so well for me, no more limping lol

9th Aug '12

The things us woman go threw in preganancys!

CakeBakin'Mama 34 kids; Indiana 678 posts
9th Aug '12

I've had BAD leg cramps with every pregnancy and was told this time around to take calcium supplements every day. I have been on them since mid-first trimester and they really work!! I still get small ones every now and then, but the toe pointing trick works and they don't last long or leave me hurting after.

Christene Thaller Due December 26 (boy); 1 child; Lincoln, Nebraska 83 posts
9th Aug '12

This sounds silly, but try eating more Banana's They have a lot of potasium, sorry for the spelling But That cured my tight legs when I was pregnant with my son. This time around I have not had to deal with cramps in my legs yet. But today i am only 20 weeks along.

9th Aug '12

I have ate bananas, but how many should i eat?

LoveMyBabyz 2 kids; West Virginia 238 posts
9th Aug '12

I'm almost 35 weeks and I get them quite often. The best thing for me is as soon as I feel it coming I jump right out of bed and stand on the leg thats getting the cramp. It goes right away. But sometimes my leg is still sore the next day. They suck so bad.