32 weeks along... first pregnancy Megan Townsend Due October 29; Avon, New York 28 posts
7th Sep '12

I'm currently 32 weeks along and this is my first pregnancy. I don't know all what to expect and I am actually quite nervous. My pregnancy so far has been wonderful, up until about a week ago. I've had such extreme back pain to the point where I am screaming and crying, I know back pain is to be expected during pregnancy, but, I am not sure the amount of pain I am in is normal. My daughter has been more active in this week than she has ever been. I'm in constant pain all the time. I don't really want to take any of the over the counter pain killers they tell you that you can have but sometimes the pain gets so bad I can't take it. I have to sleep in shifts because of her activity. I know that expecting a nights sleep with the constant trying to get comfortable and bath room breaks is impossible but I was wondering if there is anything I could possibly do to try and maybe sleep a little longer. I have tried teas, lavender sents, and hot baths but nothing seems to be working. I have also been experiencing going to the bathroom (#2) is multiple times a day now. I'm not sure if it is normal or not. My midwife is currently on vacation and she's the only one I have turned too. I'm not sure if I have issues that need to be addressed soon or if it's just the basic run of the mill pregnancy joys. Please help!

Nightferra Due October 21; Parkersburg, West Virginia 424 posts
7th Sep '12

talk to your midwife about and take some Tylenol for the back pain my doc gave me some muscle relaxers to help me sleep better at night they work like a charm see if there is anything your midwife can give you to help you sleep better at night and to help with the back pain

♥MOBAS♥ 2 kids; 1 angel baby; California 7198 posts
7th Sep '12

Sounds like a normal pregnancy to me, lol. I used to make my SO massage my back when I was pregnant. I also saw a chiropractor in my first pregnancy for really bad sciatic pain.

Have you tried heating pads and cold compress or even back exercises?

Megan Townsend Due October 29; Avon, New York 28 posts
7th Sep '12

Thank you both for the responces. I have tried a heating pad. I also have had a problem with my sciatic nerve since I was young. I didn't know if that maybe playing a role in the pain or not. My husband has rubbed my back a few times and it has helped. My midwife was saying something about me trying a chiropractor before my back pain even started. (I guess she for saw this problem lol) Did the chiropractor work? What sort of things do they do to you? (I've never been to one. I've only gone to physical therapy) I have an appoinment Wednesday for a prenatal visit. It's not going to be with my midwife becauase she is on vacation, but, should I still bring these issues up with her? The one I am seeing is my ex best friend's older sister's midwife and she said her answer for everything is to go to the hospital. Not sure what I should do. I don't want to go to the hospital if this is just normal for pregnancy. (I'm the type of person unless I am dying I don't need to go lol)

8th Sep '12

The chiropractor DID help quite a bit. It's been over 8 years since I was pregnant with my so but what I do remember is they used a machine on my back and then they would adjust my legs because of the sciatica.

I don't think it would hurt to bring it up, hopefully she won't tell you to go to the hospital. LOL

8th Sep '12

Thanks! Alright, I'll give a chiropractor a try then. Hopefully it'll work. I will definitely say something to that midwife when I go in on Wednesday and yes, lets hope she DOESN'T say go to the hospital lol. :)

8th Sep '12
Quoting Megan Townsend:" Thanks! Alright, I'll give a chiropractor a try then. Hopefully it'll work. I will definitely say something ... [snip!] ... say something to that midwife when I go in on Wednesday and yes, lets hope she DOESN'T say go to the hospital lol. :)"

Well make sure you have a response ready just in case she does tell you that.

8th Sep '12

What should I say? "Do you know anything else besides go to the hospital?" Lol.

8th Sep '12
Quoting Megan Townsend:" What should I say? "Do you know anything else besides go to the hospital?" Lol."

LMAO! That would be great.

8th Sep '12

I thought so too :) I'll definitely keep you posted though. My husband and I are getting a new mattress today (yay!) so, hopefully that will help too.

8th Sep '12
Quoting Megan Townsend:" I thought so too :) I'll definitely keep you posted though. My husband and I are getting a new mattress today (yay!) so, hopefully that will help too."

Sounds good, I would like to know what her response is. A new mattress should help too. Do you sleep with a pillow between your legs?

9th Sep '12

I have tried it. I'm shaped weird. I have tiny hips and no butt. I'm top heavy so when I sleep with pillows between my legs it hurts my hips. I usually sleep with the blanket tucked in between my legs. It's not as thick. I took a 2 hour nap on the new mattress today and I must say, I think it's going to help. I'm still going to find out from my midwife of the chiropractor she recommends.

9th Sep '12
Quoting Megan Townsend:" I have tried it. I'm shaped weird. I have tiny hips and no butt. I'm top heavy so when I sleep with pillows ... [snip!] ... and I must say, I think it's going to help. I'm still going to find out from my midwife of the chiropractor she recommends."

Well there is a good start. I need a new mattress too.

9th Sep '12

Question for you... did you or know someone who has had or is having bad acne during pregnancy? I never got it in high school. I had it semi bad when I was in my first trimester, it went away, and now it's back and even worse. It's really irritating.

9th Sep '12
Quoting Megan Townsend:" Question for you... did you or know someone who has had or is having bad acne during pregnancy? I never ... [snip!] ... I had it semi bad when I was in my first trimester, it went away, and now it's back and even worse. It's really irritating."

I have not had issues with acne but the pregnancy hormones are probably causing it at this point. Pregnancy does weird things to your body.