10 month old wants to be held constantly buddhababy 1 child; Spain 378 posts
11th Sep '12

My little one will be 10 months old this week and lately he's been kind of a terror when I try to put him down (as in, I'm not holding him). It seems like he wants to be held ALL the time and he hates his stroller, hates his car seat, hates his high chair, hates being put on the floor or in the bouncer even when I'm right there (which I always am). He'll throw a fit and scream and cry until I pick him up again then he's just fine. I don't know if this is a phase or an anxiety thing or if I've just spoiled him but putting him in the moby whenever he doesn't want to be out of my arms. I didn't even consider the idea of "spoiling" him until now because I know babies want and need to be held and of course I'm happy to hold and cuddle him but now I'm concerned that I'm creating a child who is going to be a monster as a toddler. Is this normal? Any advice?

buddhababy 1 child; Spain 378 posts
11th Sep '12

I feel like he's been teething forever! He's cut two teeth already but no signs of any others coming up soon.

Krystle ♥ 2 kids; New York 3923 posts
11th Sep '12

My son gets that way when he's teething.

October2011 2 kids; Pennsylvania 6934 posts
11th Sep '12

My son is 10 months as well..and has recently started doing the same thing. He's very clingy with me and sometimes when i put him down he cries, but if my husband puts him down, hes fine..so hes just this way with me. He has 4 teeth and has recently been having issues falling asleep..he doesnt go to bed til after midnight all of a sudden..so im wondering if hes gonna be getting another tooth.

AA&L Due June 23; TTA since Mar 2012; 1 child; Florida 721 posts
11th Sep '12

DD is 14 months and teething some molars, which happens to be a few weeks after she had strep throat. She has been very clingy for a little while now. It'd be nice to go pee without her screaming at my legs because I had to sit her down for a few minutes, but hopefully it'll be over soon. What about gas? That never sits well with DD either

11th Sep '12

Hmm so maybe it is a teething related phase? I hope so, we were on the bus the other day and I had him in his car seat in the stroller and he was wailing when I wouldn't pick him up. :?

11th Sep '12
Quoting AA&L:" DD is 14 months and teething some molars, which happens to be a few weeks after she had strep throat. ... [snip!] ... I had to sit her down for a few minutes, but hopefully it'll be over soon. What about gas? That never sits well with DD either"

Haha he does the same thing! He'll crawl over to my legs and sit on my feet and cry until I pick him up.

Don't think it's gas because it's been going on for a while. So unless he's had gas for like weeks straight lol

AA&L Due June 23; TTA since Mar 2012; 1 child; Florida 721 posts
11th Sep '12

I had absolutely no idea she was teething either. Just about 4 or 5 days ago she REFUSED to go down for bed and this child has NO problem with bed time. Me and DH were baffled because she just kept screaming and crying. Finally I got the lightbulb to feel for more teeth and sure enough she has molars coming in back there. Both sides on the top. I felt so bad for her ): She already has the top 4 and bottom 4 and I really thought they would all come in right beside each other, but no these are hidden in the back... like sharp little razors waiting for someone innocent to stick their fingers in lol

11th Sep '12

Aw poor girl, and poor parents!

summerbabyX2 2 kids; Pennsylvania 4019 posts
11th Sep '12

it's a phase. Kids also do this when they're about to hit a milestone like crawling or walking. It's like the more independent they get the more reassurance they need that you're going to be there. The more you comfort and hold them at this age the more confident and independent they will be when they are older because they will trust you and themselves more. I heard all the time that I was spoiling my DD because I swear I didn't put her down for the 1st 18 months of her life but I just kept giving her what she needed and trusted that it would pay off and it has. Now she's 2.5 and very indepdent and confident and trusts that I'll be there when she needs me. Kids are really good at letting us know what they need, all we have to do is listen.

11th Sep '12
Quoting summerbabyX2:" it's a phase. Kids also do this when they're about to hit a milestone like crawling or walking. It's ... [snip!] ... that I'll be there when she needs me. Kids are really good at letting us know what they need, all we have to do is listen."

Interesting, and reassuring. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't creating a monster lol