18 mo old bit through tongue... Hermit the Mom 2 kids; Cleveland, Tennessee 2878 posts
22nd May '08

so yesterday my toddler slid up on a newspaper and her front two teeth pierced all the way through her tongue.... she cried maybe 1-2 minutes and was fine after that. i called the doc anyway and they said not to worry about it, it it will heal by itself.... i looked at it today and it looks purple and white around the cut... is this normal? i really have no idea, i guess its compariable to getting a tongue piercing and no big deal but it freaked me out.... anyone had this happen or have a tongue ring? lol...

Cowgirl47429 4 kids; Alaska 10748 posts
22nd May '08

I have a tounge ring and both my oldest kids have done that more then once lol Its fine dont worry.

MunchkinWrangler 4 kids; Rīga, Latvia 46847 posts
22nd May '08

when i was 3 i bit through my tounge. it was HANGING there. my mo called hte doc and they said the same thing.. it will heal on its own.. eat lots of popsicles. my tounge did heal... i cant remember how long it took to heal because i was so little and my moms not here so i cant ask.. but my tounge has no scars or anything.. its fine now.. well theres two little lines on it.. but thats it.. i dont even know if theyre from that.

JessicaRabbitBNH 34 kids; Maryland 36955 posts
22nd May '08

Its normal.

This is embarrassing. but as a teen i went through a traumatic experience. my way of coping was to zone out and bite into my tongue. Just chew off pieces.

When it healed, it would turn purple then white. the white would peel off, leaving new healthy tongue underneath. It may leave a smooth scar for a while.. but it will get better after time.

Hermit the Mom 2 kids; Cleveland, Tennessee 2878 posts
22nd May '08

thanks :) i will try not to worry now... its just like the first major accident shes had and it scared me more then it did her, i cried longer.... lol.

22nd May '08
Quoting Orions Mommy:
22nd May '08
Quoting Lilly and Linkin's mommy:
Laia Olympia, 190 posts
23rd May '08

My brother did this as a baby. I'm sorry that happened! So scary for you!