38 weeks 2 days, and nothing.. Christiana'sMommy Due October 16 (girl); Roanoke, Virginia 17 posts
5th Oct '12

So, I went to my weekly doctors appointment and they asked me if I wanted my cervix checked, since I got it checked last time I was there, so of course I said yes. Im just one of those people who like to know if im progressing any..but just like at 37 weeks I was still the same this week at 38 weeks and 1 day, im still only starting to be effaced. Which totally dissapointed me, because at this point of time I just feel like my body is so behind. All the other october mommys are atleast dilated a little, and me...nothing! I know I shouldn't rush her if she isn't ready, but im getting so impatient and ready to meet my babygirl! Im really nervous about going over my due-date and getting induced, becauae i've been hearing so many stories about women having to have c-sectio. Because the induction slows down the process and im scared to death of the thought of a c-section, also worried about my mom not being with me if I ever did have to get one..i know im an adult but my mother has been here by my side through everything, and so has my fiance'. Im deffinatley probabley just getting paranoid, but this is my first pregnancy and its deffinatley a scary process. is there any chance I could maybe just start dilating at the last minute and it happen fast or am I more than likely going to go over my due-date..? Like what was everyones experience like that wasn't dilated or effaced at 38 weeks?

BαtMαɳ Gotham, __, United States 67535 posts
5th Oct '12

My water broke at 39 weeks 6 days and everything happened fairly quickly after that.

and it's *definitely

KatieBeth14 Due October 3 (boy); 1 child; Canberra, Australia 14 posts
5th Oct '12

i got checked at 38 weeks and was 2 cms dialated and 70% but guess what this boy still wont come out sometimes it doesnt make a difference they will come when there ready i really dont want to be induced either but hopefully he will stop being stubborn before wednesday

*~Stella's Momma~* 1 child; Missouri 1654 posts
5th Oct '12

I saw my doc the day before I delivered, I wasn't progressed at all. Next day I went in for decreased fetal movement and I was at a 3 and 80% effaced. Had her that day.

It can change overnight, you still have 2 weeks! Be patient.

Life is a Highway ♫ 18 kids; Australia 9381 posts
5th Oct '12

Try being 40weeks at 0cm 0 effaced and -2 station, its discouraging but bubs wont be in there forever. Relax and enjoy the last few weeks :)

I had to be induced because of my BP. I regret it every day nearly, my body wasnt ready at all and after 48 hours of labour I had a c-section. Knowing what I know now I would of went to 41 weeks and risked my baby being well over 9lbs just to have more of a chance of having a vaginal birth.

Christiana'sMommy Due October 16 (girl); Roanoke, Virginia 17 posts
5th Oct '12

Deff. Not the best speller..but thats okay! (: it's kind of hard to be patient, especially being a first time mommy. Im new at this, and just wasn't for sure how fast things can speed up or if it was okay that I wasn't progressing any. Just worrying myself basically! /:

greenmamabecky☮ TTC since Jul 2013; 18 kids; Enfield, Connecticut 20987 posts
5th Oct '12

I went to the hospital to get induced at 40w2d. I was supposed to stay overnight and be induced the next day. They checked me around 8pm, and I wasnt dilated AT ALL. I woke up at 2am to my water breaking, and then went into full blown labor and had my son by 9:30am the next morning.

How dilated you are doesnt matter :)
One girl could be dilated at 1 or 2 cm for a month, and you could go into labor before them! lol

shauna.xo 1 child; British Columbia 415 posts
5th Oct '12

at 39w2d i was 0 cm dilated and no effacement . at 39w3d i was 3 cm dilated and 50% effaced . so for me it happened over night . however , it isn't an indication of anything at all . i'm now over due and when i was checked at 40 weeks i was 4 cm dilated and 80% . now at 41w1d i am still the same and no labor . your body isn't behind . it's very common to start dilating right before labor .. you arnt behind at all

5th Oct '12

Oh goodness! Atleast I know im not alone, I just felt like I was the only one this late in my pregnancy that hadn't progressed. It had me worried, but like you said they can't stay in there forever (: i've went 38 weeks and 2 days so far..no reason to give up now! just wanted to know if anyone else was in the same boat as me, or was before.

5th Oct '12

I actually feel alot better about it all now, thanks for sharing you all's stories, it deff. Gave me some kind of re-assurance! (:

Holly LeClair Due February 17 (boy); 49 kids; Castalian Springs, Tennessee 71 posts
5th Oct '12
Quoting Christiana'sMommy:" So, I went to my weekly doctors appointment and they asked me if I wanted my cervix checked, since I ... [snip!] ... than likely going to go over my due-date..? Like what was everyones experience like that wasn't dilated or effaced at 38 weeks?"

I didn't even make it to 38 weeks. I was in labor at 34 weeks, my son was 4 lbs. 9.4 oz. and 18 inches long. He was in NICU for a month. He had a fatal heart condition that had to be repaired or he would die. Maybe it wasn't all because he was a preemie, but I blamed it all on that. Enjoy having this time with her and don't stress yourself out. She'll come when she is ready. :)

greenmamabecky☮ TTC since Jul 2013; 18 kids; Enfield, Connecticut 20987 posts
5th Oct '12

whoops I meant 41w2d lol
I wasn't even dilated at all, gave birth the next day :)

Kelci Wood Due March 3; Japan 1 posts
5th Oct '12

My first was 2 days late. And it was seriously driving me nuts that she didnt come out earlier than expected. I get how the last weeks are so tough, but the best advice I got was to stop thinking about it. I think what makes it worse is the anticipation, but what is wonderful is no matter what you will have your baby in your arms soon enough. Sadly, nothing is in our timing! :D

5th Oct '12

Im so sorry to hear that, im glad he's okay now. He's a little tropper already :) I guess later is better than too early. Good point! im not trying to sound selfish, just a little impatient and excited all mixed up in one. Im getting better with the whole not stressing out about it now though..& thank you! (:

5th Oct '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting Kelci Wood:</b>" My first was 2 days late. And it was seriously driving me nuts that she didnt come out earlier than expected. ... [snip!] ... but what is wonderful is no matter what you will have your baby in your arms soon enough. Sadly, nothing is in our timing! :D"</blockquote>
exactly! Well said..(: