5 week old daughter..How long should I be letting her sleep? MadelynsMommy77 1 child; Jacksonville Beach, Florida 8 posts
24th Oct '12

My daughter is 5 weeks old... I was told babies at this age need to eat every 2-3 hours..but sometimes when i try to wake her up to feed her she DOES NOT want to wake up..should i just let her sleep and wait on her cues?

Not tellin 3 kids; Montana 55983 posts
24th Oct '12
Quoting MadelynsMommy77:" My daughter is 5 weeks old... I was told babies at this age need to eat every 2-3 hours..but sometimes ... [snip!] ... sometimes when i try to wake her up to feed her she DOES NOT want to wake up..should i just let her sleep and wait on her cues?"

You follow her lead at this point.

Amanduuuh Due March 17; 1 child; 1 angel baby; Texas 4380 posts
24th Oct '12

As much as she wants.

TrollMama Due December 19; Beaumont, Texas 352 posts
24th Oct '12

WAKE THAT SUCKER UP! They sleep a looooot at first so I was coached that it's MY responsibility to keep the baby awake for feedings even if they are reluctant.

Tash+1 1 child; Canton, Ohio 7839 posts
24th Oct '12

Are you BFing? If so, is your routine down pat? If it is, let her sleep, she'll eat when she's hungry.

TrollMama Due December 19; Beaumont, Texas 352 posts
24th Oct '12

As a follow up, though, I wouldn't start worrying unless she drops a lot of weight. I think that's the point of the advice (:

MadelynsMommy77 1 child; Jacksonville Beach, Florida 8 posts
24th Oct '12

yes im nursing her.. and during the day she tries to eat like every hour or two! So at night time i like to think shes just making up for the time shes awake during the day..

Andi+Andy=Marley+1 2 kids; Fredericksburg, Virginia 4564 posts
24th Oct '12

Don't wake her up. She will wake up on her own when she's hungry. She won't let herself starve

24th Oct '12
Quoting MadelynsMommy77:" yes im nursing her.. and during the day she tries to eat like every hour or two! So at night time i like to think shes just making up for the time shes awake during the day.."

Then definitely let her sleep. As long as she latches well and has no problem eating during the day.

Not tellin 3 kids; Montana 55983 posts
24th Oct '12
Quoting TrollMama:" WAKE THAT SUCKER UP! They sleep a looooot at first so I was coached that it's MY responsibility to keep the baby awake for feedings even if they are reluctant."

NO!!! You don't wake a baby up to feed. You keep them awake during feeding but you let them sleep when they are tired.

get a notebook and journal all the feedings, sleeps, daiper changes (and type of movement). Write when the feeding starts and ends if you bf or oz if bottle fed. This will give you an idea of the babies schedule and what you can do between each feeding or sleep.

24th Oct '12

She definitely has no problem latching on... my little piggy is a vigorous eater! lol But how much sleep is TOO much sleep? Should i wake her up if shes slept for over 5 hours or so? (which she hasn't done yet...but just in case)

24th Oct '12

I also like the notebook idea.. if i just keep track of feedings, times, wet and dirty diapys then im sure ill have a general idea about what needs to be changed

24th Oct '12
Quoting MadelynsMommy77:" She definitely has no problem latching on... my little piggy is a vigorous eater! lol But how much sleep ... [snip!] ... is TOO much sleep? Should i wake her up if shes slept for over 5 hours or so? (which she hasn't done yet...but just in case)"

No just let her sleep all she wants. Little babies sleep alot.

Wolfskrieger 17 kids; Morgan Hill, California 1564 posts
24th Oct '12

I sometimes woke my son up to eat but that's just me I know a lot of people don't do it. I stopped around 1 1/2-2 months

Brantley+Savannah 2 kids; Mills River, NC, United States 3119 posts
24th Oct '12

i was told to not let my son go more than 5 hours without eating, now that he is 2 months old i let him sleep and wake on his own but for the first month i woke him if he slept 5 hours, even at night, now sometimes at night he will sleep 6 hours before waking up and during the day he usually eats every 3-4 hours. 3 hours if hes awake 4 hours if hes napping.