I know in baby CPR class they actually tell us to smack their back really hard to dislodge whatever they're choking on. Im glad you were there OP! Always trust your gut!
That sort of thing is definitely really scary. I thought my son had a seizure once and it was by far the most terrifying thing I've ever experienced with him. (It turned out he was locking up his body and arching his back out of pain from an ear infection so it looked like a lot like a seizure.)
I doubt he would've died though. If it was just a little saliva or milk he would've just coughed it up on his own probably. Of course you can never be too safe with infants and it was good you were there. I'm glad everything is okay. Try not to fret too much if it's possible... These things happen and he's okay right now.
If he wasn't coughing or making noise then most likely his airway was obstructed and you did the right thing! If someone is choking but can still make noise or cough that means they can still breath and hitting them on the back could do more harm than good.
That's so scary though! Glad he's okay.
Same exact thing happened to my daughter when she was about 2/3 months. Took her to the ER, they said it was due to reflux and she was choking. From then on she needed to sleep elevated, it didn't happen again after we did that.
My son has gotten choked like that before and they told me at his doctors office if he ever gets choked to grab his arms and shake them above his head. I think I hurt his arm doing that once, but it worked :oops: I would elevate the mattress somehow at the head side. We put books under one side of his crib under the feet because he had really bad reflux. It didn't stop him from spitting up but is did stop him from getting choked on it.
Awww you must have been so scared :( you did what you thought was right and it worked, motherly instinct is a strong thing!! Glad lo is ok mama
I just had a scare like that tonight. I put my son in his play pen (daddy was in the living room with him watching football) while I took a bath but when I put him in there he started sneezing and coughing but he seemed fine, playing with his toys etc. Then he's sleeping and we are all sleeping and I hear him take a breath wake up and start crying and coughing. I wonder if he has food stuck between his nose and throat. He's not doing it now, he's actually sleeping but I suctioned out his nose so I think I may have got whatever it was loose. So mama will be awake for awhile making sure he is ok.
you propose to hit their back when their chocking so you definitly did the right thing and thank god you were there
This used to happen to my DD sometimes. it scared the shit out of me! All it was was she spit up and it got stuck up her nose so she got choked up a bit. I found keeping her upright for 20 to 30 mins after a bottle helped. I doubt your LO would have choked to death if you weren't there. According to my pedi, it is very very rare that a child will choke to death from liquid. They just panic bc they can't breath but can resolve it on their own. However, you did the right think by picking him up and patting his back. I used to also use the bulb to suction the nose out to help her feel better. These kids really do have a way if scaring the shit out of us don't they! Lol.
It was terrifying! It just makes me so sad how he panicked. Like, there was no sound coming from him at all. The same thing happened with my Dad when he was about 3 months old, and he ended up with pneumonia. He had spit up, and inhaled it, so it got into his lungs. He wasn't breathing for long enough to already turn funny colours, though...but if I wasn't there, I can't imagine the outcome would have been good :( He's never leaving my sight again!
Do you have a video monitor?
Quoting AnnaMS:" Do you have a video monitor?"
No, but I think we're going to invest in one after last night.
<blockquote><b>Quoting Ms.Eagles:</b>" No, but I think we're going to invest in one after last night."</blockquote>
Definitely a must have!! It will help put you mind at ease and will allow you to get things done while he sleeps. Be sure to invest in a good one tho. I made the mistake of trying to save money and got a cheap one. Ended up returning and spending good money on another one. I got the summer infant touch monitor. It's amazing! I can see my DD breathing on it lol.