18 month old only calling things Mamma? Belle De Jour Due October 8; 2 kids; Kentucky 17573 posts
19th Nov '12

Lila only knows a few words anyways but she use to call SO, Daddy, her sister, Sus, and me, Mommy, and was able to say puppy and cat (tat).
So I know she was able do distinguish who was who.
But for the last few weeks she has only said Mommy. She calls everything Mommy now. Food, me, SO, LO, cats, etc. :?
My older LO who has speech delays never did that. So why is this LO doing that? Is it just a phase? Did your LO ever do this?

C A R M E L A💜 1 child; Mahopac, New York 16272 posts
19th Nov '12

lol, yep. My daughter has done that, she used to call our dog Mommy & she knew her name.
My daughter also had a speech delay

Bad Things 1 child; Blacksburg, SC, United States 15823 posts
status 19th Nov '12

LO is 13 months and sometimes does this.

He knows "bye" "mama" "dada" "no-no" "cat" and "two."

However, when he wants something...food, sippy, a toy, etc..he will say "mama" and try to get it. I think it is just a phase.

Belle De Jour Due October 8; 2 kids; Kentucky 17573 posts
19th Nov '12
Quoting C A R M E L A:" lol, yep. My daughter has done that, she used to call our dog Mommy & she knew her name. My daughter also had a speech delay"

Well that's good to know. SO has been getting frustrated with her because all she has been saying is Mamma to EVERYTHING. :(

_______Nope_________ 23772 posts
19th Nov '12

Logan does this. All he says is Mama and Hi. So EVERYTHING is "Mama! Mama! Mama!" lol

Also, sometimes they're just stubborn. If they get a rise out of you they can sometimes keep doing the same thing. Teagan will do that.

19th Nov '12
Quoting she nan igans:" Logan does this. All he says is Mama and Hi. So EVERYTHING is "Mama! Mama! Mama!" lol Also, sometimes ... [snip!] ... they're just stubborn. If they get a rise out of you they can sometimes keep doing the same thing. Teagan will do that."

:lol: Maybe that's what it is then. I don't really care since she isn't really verbal yet anyways but SO is getting really annoyed with it.
I think he's just over ready to be able to talk to them at least a little :(
I also think this whole therapy/ mental evaluation thing is freaking him out a little. :(

_______Nope_________ 23772 posts
19th Nov '12
Quoting Uncle Obama's Banana:" :lol: Maybe that's what it is then. I don't really care since she isn't really verbal yet anyways but ... [snip!] ... to talk to them at least a little :( I also think this whole therapy/ mental evaluation thing is freaking him out a little. :("

It freaked my husband out a lot too. It's really hard to deal with, when you worry there is something "wrong" with your kids. I think men handle it worse then women to be honest. I know my husband had a really hard time with it all.

It just takes a while to adjust.

19th Nov '12
Quoting she nan igans:" It freaked my husband out a lot too. It's really hard to deal with, when you worry there is something ... [snip!] ... it worse then women to be honest. I know my husband had a really hard time with it all. It just takes a while to adjust. "

:( Yeah I think you're right. He had a really hard time when she was in the NICU. I always got mad at him because he didn't want to go up there and when he did he didn't interact with her. But now that time has passed and we've learned more about each other I can see that he was just hurting :(
Men react to things oddly :lol:

Peyton'sMommy♥ 1 child; Springfield, Ohio 16806 posts
19th Nov '12

Peyton's almost 16 months and he's calling everything kitty lol.