2 year old walking hazard Littlekins mommy :) 1 child; Florida 1872 posts
22nd Nov '12

My son just turned two, he is always on the verge of destruction. Right once you pull him from one near death experience, he runs quickly to the next, and eyes cannot be taken off him for a moment. I don't know if this is normal or not, but it's very stressful, as I feel I can never leave him with anyone, not even his dad, because nobody but me takes note of the normal every day items that this kid can turn into deadly weapons. He shakes heavy wall mirrors, tries to run to the pool, opens all the types of doors, trys to stand on the table... and things you'd never imagine, like trying to start the outlet "ignition" with the keys- full metal keys, no rubber. This is usually no problem, because fortunately for me, I get to be a stay at home mom, and I never feel pressured by anyone to let them babysit or hang out with him alone or take him somewhere, besides my mom, but I feel comfortable telling her no. Ha. But I'm due with his sister in March, and if he's still this wild and unstable in four months, how on earth am going to enjoy labor, delivery, the new baby, and the first nights with her, knowing that my son is not safe? I mean, his dad is a great dad, but he is not "with it" when it comes to recongnizing dangers and keeping your eye one him every second, which is almost literally necesary! The hospital I guess has a "no-toddlers-overnight" policy, and I will be utterly miserble! I just had to rant, and perhaps look for some advice..

Complete with 2! 2 kids; Maryland 1486 posts
22nd Nov '12

Sounds like you need to toddler proof your house. You shoud have outlet covers on and saafety locks on the doors, especially if there is a pool involved.

Littlekins mommy :) 1 child; Florida 1872 posts
22nd Nov '12
Quoting Complete with 2!:" Sounds like you need to toddler proof your house. You shoud have outlet covers on and saafety locks on the doors, especially if there is a pool involved."

We don't have a pool and our house is completely proofed, but it's bringing him to other people's houses that's so difficult. But even being proofed, at home, you can't put a fence around the table top, lol, or just things like if DH is forgetful about leaving out something sharp, I worry about that stuff. And we do need a lock on the front door.... a high lock. He unlocks both locks and he's only 24 months. I'm so glad we don't have a pool, or stairs, but a lot of people do whose houses we visit a lot. If we had a pool, I'd be having a lock, an alarm, and a pool gate! lol

Olive ♥ 1 child; North Carolina 4902 posts
22nd Nov '12

Well, I think 2 is old enough to start some sort of discipline/consequences. Do you do that? As for worrying about him getting into stuff when you're not there, completely baby proof the house before you deliver. Move mirrors, anchor televisions to the wall if they're on a stand. Cover outlets, put those babyproof things on the door handles so he can't open them, or locks high up on the main doors in the house so he can't run outside.

Olive ♥ 1 child; North Carolina 4902 posts
22nd Nov '12
Quoting Littlekins mommy :):" We don't have a pool and our house is completely proofed, but it's bringing him to other people's houses ... [snip!] ... but a lot of people do whose houses we visit a lot. If we had a pool, I'd be having a lock, an alarm, and a pool gate! lol"

Tell his father to keep him at home while you're in the hospital. He doesn't need to be visiting people's houses when you just had a baby..

Stevie Renae 2 kids; North Carolina 11857 posts
22nd Nov '12

Sounds like a typical two year old boy, child proof everything and keep working with him. My son is two and is a total riot. Congrats on your new baby, im due in April i know how you feel.

22nd Nov '12
Quoting Olive ♥:" Tell his father to keep him at home while you're in the hospital. He doesn't need to be visiting people's houses when you just had a baby.."

Oh he won't be visiting anyone, I was just combining concerns. Those days we all go to peoples houses, and on a seperate note, the fear of being seperated from him. Because I pretty much never have been apart since birth, only a few times when he was not yet mobile.

22nd Nov '12
Quoting Stevie Renae
Stevie Renae 2 kids; North Carolina 11857 posts
22nd Nov '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting Littlekins mommy :):</b>" Do you ever seperate from him? How do you feel about that? People say I'm too nervous and need to let ... [snip!] ... wanna hear it. I just want to keep him around all the time, lol. Of course I'd love a break, but I'd rather know he's safe."</blockquote>

For a long time i didn't but now i do its healthy for them that way plus mommy needs a break. I get how you feel on not wanting to be away from him but you need to.do it soon its better for you and him. Plus when your little girl gets here it could cause a lot of issues then. Hes got to learn to adapt around others and get ready to not ne mommy's only baby anymore.

mom2andrew&carter 18 kids; Leesburg, Florida 2159 posts
22nd Nov '12

sounds like a normal 2 yr old boy my son is 20 months and gets into everything. I also have a 2 month old and one day i was feeding my lo and i thought my toddler was in his room but it got really quiet so i went to go check up on him and hes in the bathroom sitting in the sink. It was my fault i forgot to close the bathroom door but i put him in time out to let him know not to do it anymore and he hasnt done it since