11 weeks breastfeeding.... RachyBaby84 3 kids; Glasgow, United Kingdom 122 posts
28th Nov '12

today marks 11 weeks and 3 days of exclusively breastfeeding my LG!! shes put on 3lbs since birth so averaging at about 1lb a month, which i thought was pretty good for EBF!! however, my health visitor suggested supplementing her with formula as shes dropped off her growth chart slightly :? she is still putting on weight and has only lost a couple of grams in the first 5days, so i don't feel as if she NEEDS formula, especially as shes just had a growth spurt and outgrown all her 0-3month clothes already. i dont want to supplement her right now as i feel that will affect my milk supply... am i wrong? should i do what the health visitor suggests? or stick to my guns about EBF and maybe just feed her more often? all advice welcome TYIA! :D

lise ♡ 1 child; 1 angel baby; Cold, Ol, Canada 68355 posts
28th Nov '12

Just stick to your guns, supplementing will mess your supply up!

RachyBaby84 3 kids; Glasgow, United Kingdom 122 posts
28th Nov '12

thats what i thought. i had to stop BF my 2nd at 3mnths because he preferred the bottle when we gave him 1 bottle a day so daddy could bond, and i got really upset so wanted to ebf as long as possible this time, and dh agrees with me, he told me to ignore her and keep doing what im doing :)

FutureMommyof2 Due June 5; 1 child; Charlotte, North Carolina 1035 posts
28th Nov '12

Congrats that is no small feat! Keep ebf sounds like she is fine :)

Serial Mom ✄ 18 kids; Michigan 2690 posts
28th Nov '12

Keep BF'ing. Do not supplement. As long as she's growing and gaining and having enough wet and dirty diapers, I wouldn't think there's a need to supplement. I'm obviously not a doctor, so I would talk to her pedi too, but it sounds like she's doing fine.
Just make sure you're feeding on demand and not a schedule. And always offer both sides. I really hope you're able to continue EBF'ing.

~Deer Eyes~ Due June 12; 4 kids; Norfolk, VA, United States 1892 posts
28th Nov '12

You are doing great. One pound a month is more than enough for an ebf baby. My son has doubled his birth weight and we are ebf, but I don't believe that is common. My oldest 2 were ebf for about 3 months each as well and they gained less than a pound a month and their dr said they were thriving.

RachyBaby84 3 kids; Glasgow, United Kingdom 122 posts
28th Nov '12

thank you ladies, really hope i can continue. i feel more relaxed feeding this time around and i hope to go a couple more months :) shes already in size 3-6mnth clothes so i must be doing something right :)