16 month old refusing to eat! Only wants to nurse! 5 kids; 2 angel babies; Castlewood, Virginia 3364 posts
28th Nov '12

My 16 month old dd is still nursing on demand. She nurses more than she eats solids. Especially for breakfast, she rarely eats and just nurses. Well, my supply has dropped a lot recently because I am pregnant. Now she won't eat much at all but still tries to nurse, but gets frustrated cause I don't have much of a supply anymore! She is so fussy and follows me Around crying all day! I hate to hear her cry! I don't know what to do though! We have tried different foods and she doesn't want to eat her 'favorite foods' anymore either. I'm at a loss! :(

Holliday1983 2 kids; Midrand, South Africa 56 posts
28th Nov '12

I don't think you should be nursing while pregnant as this causes the womb to contract! Which is dangerous in your situation.

Proginoskes II 3 kids; North Carolina 1295 posts
28th Nov '12
Quoting Holliday1983:" I don't think you should be nursing while pregnant as this causes the womb to contract! Which is dangerous in your situation."

That is a common misconception. Since she has been nursing the entire time, her body is conditioned to the stimulation.
OP- could she be coming down with something? She might not feel well, or could just want extra mommy time.

Gah... 50 kids; 15477 posts
28th Nov '12
Quoting Holliday1983:" I don't think you should be nursing while pregnant as this causes the womb to contract! Which is dangerous in your situation."

its perfectly safe to nurse when pregnant http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/breast-feeding-while-pregnant/AN01840

OP: I would hate that too, is there a way you can bump your supply? I knoew there are moms here who have had this issue, maybe ask around see if they have something that can help? I know around 16 months they are generally more into a "snack" phase and not a meal phase though.. my kids would go all day without eating at that age

*Call Me MOM* 8 kids; Minnesota 11756 posts
28th Nov '12

thats not necessarily true!!

in high risk pregnancies it can be dangerous but she hasnt been classified as high risk...

and there are SOOOOOOOOOOOO man women that BF while pregnant and go on to tandem feed!!!

so unless her dr advises otherwise she is perfectly able to nurse..

as for her getting frustrated there really isnt much you can do...some peoples supplies drop while pregnant...try eating more oatmeal! that helped me...

5 kids; 2 angel babies; Castlewood, Virginia 3364 posts
28th Nov '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting ProginoskesII (SuperKink):</b>" That is a common misconception. Since she has been nursing the entire time, her body is conditioned to ... [snip!] ... to the stimulation. OP- could she be coming down with something? She might not feel well, or could just want extra mommy time."</blockquote>

Thank you! I have talked to my lactation consultant and she said nursing while pregnant was fine as long as I'm not having any problems!
She has been a little stuffy the last couple of days. No fever or anything. She is a big mamas girl too! I just worry that she's not eating enough. Especially since I know my supply has dropped.

28th Nov '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting Gah...:</b>" its perfectly safe to nurse when pregnant http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/breast-feeding-while-pregnant/AN01840 ... [snip!] ... they are generally more into a "snack" phase and not a meal phase though.. my kids would go all day without eating at that age"</blockquote>

I've been trying to drink lots of water and eat oatmeal. Im planning on making some lactation cookies to see if that helps. Ive never had supply issues so this is new to me!

28th Nov '12
Quoting
28th Nov '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting *hiyalindz* [EBFB]*:</b>" ive heard of supply being low in the beginning months of pregnancy then going back up again so your supply could possibly do that too..."</blockquote>

Let's hope it goes up! :)
I have a friend that said her supply completely dried up at 9-10 weeks every time. I hope mine doenst! :(

28th Nov '12
Quoting
28th Nov '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting *hiyalindz* [EBFB]*:</b>" eeeeek some do some dont...there are plenty of moms on here that have been able to BF throughout pregnant ... [snip!] ... takes bottles or not.. my son loves the gerber grabbers..they are yogurt blends and some applesauce ones...so maybe try those?"</blockquote>

I hope so! Im excited to tandem nurse! I know this is my last chncd (maybe...lol)

I honestly cnt remember the last time I pumped! Haha. I may try that too! :)

I Knkw she will eat when she is hungry...I just hate the thought of her being hungry! Haha. She doesn't take a bottle. Never has. Lol. She hates whole milk. It's funny! When I drink milk, she acts like she wants it ad spits it out as soon as it gets in her mouth! Haha. And I've tried those too! She doesn't like them either! I've tried all te flavors too! She is SO picky! But we are having spaghetti tonight ad that is one meal she LOVES! :)