7 weeks; sac but no baby?? Amanduuuh Due March 17; 1 child; 1 angel baby; Texas 4382 posts
status 28th Nov '12

My friend is devastated. She had her first ultrasound today. They found a sac but no baby. The sac measures 7 weeks so is this most likely a blighted ovum or chemical pregnancy?? Is there still hope?

Pey and Trista's mommy Due January 5; 2 kids; 2 angel babies; Houston, Texas 42503 posts
28th Nov '12

Wouldn't be a chemical...chemical pregnancies nothing develops. The egg dies shortly after implantation.

Soon to be 4<3 Due January 10 (girl); 1 child; Texas 2013 posts
status 28th Nov '12

I had my first ultrasound at 7.5 weeks, there was only a sac and no baby.
Went back at 10.5 weeks and saw fetus and the heartbeat.

B,K,L,&T! 2 kids; 2 angel babies; Michigan 1094 posts
28th Nov '12

I don't know much of anything about this..

but I know when I had MY 7 week U/S I couldn't see anything at all there.. but I was pregnant.

lolajessup 3 kids; 1 angel baby; Beaverton, Michigan 44071 posts
28th Nov '12

Sounds like a blighted ovum. They'll prolly have her go back in a couple weeks to be sure. But if the dates are right and she is 7 weeks usually you can see something by then :( sorry.

brodyzmom Due December 18 (girl); 1 child; 3 angel babies; Huntsville, Alabama 2792 posts
28th Nov '12

Anything is possible including a viable pregnancy, but my guess would be a blighted ovum. I had one myself back in July. The sac measured a little over 6 weeks, but no baby. I'm so sorry if that's the case. Best wishes to your friend for good news!

user banned Des Moines, Iowa 1848 posts
28th Nov '12

At 7 weeks if the embryo is not visible there is nothing that can be done. US can get a very clear picture from 5-6 weeks depending on the equipment used. Prior to this time frame the embryo can be difficult to distinguish. At 7 weeks there should e evidence of a rudimentary beating heart an yolk sac. The absence of this definitely implies non viable pregnancy or undetected miscarriage.

status 28th Nov '12

Weird! I saw no fetus at my 7.5 ultrasound and now I have a healthy 10 month old son. O_o

IOnlyMakeBoys (B.B.M) 2 kids; 1 angel baby; Texas 4754 posts
28th Nov '12

My 6 almost 7 week scan only showed the yolk sac that the baby uses before the placenta takes over went back in at 8 weeks and 3 days and there was a tiny baby and a heartbeat I am now 25 weeks and carrying a healthy baby boy. Are they going to recheck her in a few weeks?

Amanduuuh Due March 17; 1 child; 1 angel baby; Texas 4382 posts
status 28th Nov '12

Thanks everyone! Her hcg levels are high according to the dr. There going to check again next week I believe.

28th Nov '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting *Nathan's Mommy*:</b>" Weird! I saw no fetus at my 7.5 ultrasound and now I have a healthy 10 month old son. O_o"</blockquote>
Was there a yolk sac or fetal pole though?

user banned Des Moines, Iowa 1848 posts
28th Nov '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting Manda Capps:</b>" Thanks everyone! Her hcg levels are high according to the dr. There going to check again next week I believe."</blockquote>

They could have measure things incorrectly. If she is not as far along as they were thinking perhaps she is pregnant.

Hope all goes well!

status 28th Nov '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting lolajessup:</b>" <blockquote><b>Quoting *Nathan's Mommy*:</b>" Weird! I saw no fetus at my 7.5 ultrasound ... [snip!] ... my 7.5 ultrasound and now I have a healthy 10 month old son. O_o"</blockquote> Was there a yolk sac or fetal pole though?"</blockquote>

My OB said "we see a sac but no baby, come back in 2 weeks"

Christa Torres 1 child; Spring Lake, North Carolina 82 posts
28th Nov '12

When I was 8 weeks pregnant, I got my first ultrasound and was able to see a heartbeat. Maybe the ultrasound that was used on your friend wasn't a very good quality one. Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for her.

28th Nov '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting *Nathan's Mommy*:</b>" <blockquote><b>Quoting lolajessup:</b>" <blockquote><b>Quoting *Nathan's ... [snip!] ... Was there a yolk sac or fetal pole though?"</blockquote> My OB said "we see a sac but no baby, come back in 2 weeks""</blockquote>

Maybe they meant a yolk sac? Do u have a pic?