35 weeks baby weight Mrs.Sunshine Due January 4; California 10 posts
30th Nov '12

I had an ultrasound appt today and baby girl is weighing 6lbs 10oz!! I still have 5 weeks left and I am afraid she will be too big! will they have to induce me before?

E'M Shikari Due March 10 (boy); 1 child; 1 angel baby; Preston, United Kingdom 1747 posts
30th Nov '12

They can be off with weight by quite a bit. I was told to expect a 10 pounder and she was just 7lbs 5oz.

B♥Z 2 kids; Williamsport, Maryland 14245 posts
30th Nov '12

The weight is just an estimate, they have no way of knowing the weight before the baby is delivered.

I am 38 weeks and they are telling me that the baby is already 9lbs.

I doubt they will induce you just because you're having a big baby, unless they think the baby will be 12 lbs or something.

Mann Makin' Mama[BBM] 18 kids; Dalton, Georgia 11563 posts
30th Nov '12

My son had IUGR and was born at only the size of a 35 week gestation baby, he was 6lbs 13oz. I was "37 weeks" when he was born and two days prior to my water breaking he was 5lbs 12oz, ultrasounds are only a guess because the leg bone can be short or long (short making them weigh more, long making them weigh less).

Boobo&bugs 2 kids; Simpsonville, South Carolina 7705 posts
30th Nov '12

DD stopped growing at 35 weeks and was 6lbs 5oz. So you sound pretty normal to me. If you have gd they might consider inducing you early if baby gets too big. But the ultrasound can also be off by about 2 lbs in either direction is what they told me. I once had a u/s tech tell me the weight is just a guess. It's like telling you how big someone is based on the inseam of their pants.

Ashley; Kenley's Mommy! 1 child; Wisconsin 15117 posts
30th Nov '12

I had an ultrasound while in labor. They kept saying Wow she's going to be big....8-9 lbs. She was only 6 lbs 4 oz. They can be way off.a

Claire Clarke Due December 28 (girl); 19 kids; Dublin, Ireland 215 posts
30th Nov '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting Mrs.Sunshine:</b>" I had an ultrasound appt today and baby girl is weighing 6lbs 10oz!! I still have 5 weeks left and I am afraid she will be too big! will they have to induce me before?"</blockquote>

@ my 32 week app they said my girl was 6lb 13oz at my app this tues they said 8lb I will be getting induced b4 38 weeks I'm 36 wks 2moro

Mrs.Sunshine Due January 4; California 10 posts
30th Nov '12

Thank you all! That is a big relief! I have my dr. appt next Tuesday and will talk to my dr. about it but I was afraid of having a big baby and having to do a c-section.

Harleys mommy77 Due December 19 (boy); 1 child; Ohio 226 posts
30th Nov '12
Quoting Ellie Shikari:" They can be off with weight by quite a bit. I was told to expect a 10 pounder and she was just 7lbs 5oz."

I was told my baby girl was very close to 10 pounds also and she was only 7lb 14oz. I was induced 4 days after my due date because of it but it was not necessary. They are not always right with their estimates. :)

Ashley; Kenley's Mommy! 1 child; Wisconsin 15117 posts
30th Nov '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting Mrs.Sunshine:</b>" Thank you all! That is a big relief! I have my dr. appt next Tuesday and will talk to my dr. about it but I was afraid of having a big baby and having to do a c-section."</blockquote>

A big baby doesn't mean a c section.

~Mrs.Medlin~ Due May 1 (boy); 1 child; Lake City, Arkansas 75 posts
2nd Dec '12

24wks with my 1st pregnancy he was weighing 4.5lbs !!! 39weeks (birth) weighed 9lbs 11ozs they told me to expect a 9lb baby or so they were pretty close :)