Cast Your Vote:

• Great -- Votes: 1
    • Not so great -- Votes: 3
2001 Ford expedition? Jazzie Love 17 kids; Brentwood, California 71 posts
2nd Dec '12

I'm a single mom, with two kids (on human one pittie lol) and I need more space in my car. BUT bigger usually means more gas, and more for insurance from what I've been told. Anyone have any opinions on the 2001 ford expedition? I really like how space it is but that's about all I know at the moment lol. Thanks :)

vagina. 3 kids; Titz, No, Germany 30923 posts
2nd Dec '12

I have a 04. its a major gas guzzler.

i think we get like 12 or 13 mpg? and the tank is huge..28 gallons i think so it costs alot to fill up completely. im sure the 01 is.worse since its older.

maybe look into a smaller suv? like a Honda pilot or cr-v?

I ♥ Jam 50 kids; California 5670 posts
2nd Dec '12

I wouldn't do it. The gas would be ridiculous. I have a 2003 explorer that needs a timing chain replaced to the tune of $2500 or more. It only has 111,000 miles on it. I imagine a 2001 has more miles than that. It seems like it would be a money pit imo. Newer fords are a lot more reliable now but for those older models the reliability just isn't there. I'd go with something from that time that is proven more reliable. You only have two kids, what kind of space do you need? I have two kids and they fit in all cars.

Jazzie Love 17 kids; Brentwood, California 71 posts
2nd Dec '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting i made a vagina.:</b>" I have a 04. its a major gas guzzler. i think we get like 12 or 13 mpg? and the tank is huge..28 gallons ... [snip!] ... to fill up completely. im sure the 01 is.worse since its older. maybe look into a smaller suv? like a Honda pilot or cr-v?"</blockquote>

Eek! I have a Kia sport age now but when we travel we have like nooo room at all :/ I prefer the mini SUVs but I have too much stuff lol

Jazzie Love 17 kids; Brentwood, California 71 posts
2nd Dec '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting I ♥ Jam:</b>" I wouldn't do it. The gas would be ridiculous. I have a 2003 explorer that needs a timing chain replaced ... [snip!] ... that is proven more reliable. You only have two kids, what kind of space do you need? I have two kids and they fit in all cars."</blockquote>

Oh man! Yea that's a lot of money :/ and the kiddos fit, it's just all our stuff doesn't. Whenever we go anywhere we each have at least one huge bag of stuff. And I transport dogs too so squishing together with dogs I don't know isn't on my good things to do list :/ any ideas of cars with a lot of space that aren't too bad? Lol

user banned SAN FRANCISCO, CA, United States 24574 posts
2nd Dec '12

The early 2000's Expeditions have a lot of electrical issues, they also have a problem with the windows just randomly dropping into the doors [we experienced that first hand]. And yes, a total gas guzzler...

The Kia Sportage is a tiny SUV...what about the next size up, like a crossover/mid-size!? Something that gives you extra cargo room, maybe more seating and decent gas mileage like the Toyota Hylander, Volvo xc90 [I just traded ours in, LOVE this SUV], Mitsubishi Outlander...etc.

Heather ♥ Due February 27; 3 kids; Miami, Florida 2432 posts
2nd Dec '12

get a pilot!

and as for insurance, idk about that. i got quoted for the pathfinder i am getting in feb and it's $160 less/month than my civic is.

2nd Dec '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting VAR's Mommy:</b>" get a pilot! and as for insurance, idk about that. i got quoted for the pathfinder i am getting in feb and it's $160 less/month than my civic is."</blockquote>

That's bc those have a high theft rate!

we pay 112/2 cars. one a 04 expedition full coverage & liability on dh's celica

2nd Dec '12
Quoting i made a vagina.:" <blockquote><b>Quoting VAR's Mommy:</b>" get a pilot! and as for insurance, idk about ... [snip!] ... That's bc those have a high theft rate! we pay 112/2 cars. one a 04 expedition full coverage & liability on dh's celica"

civic or nissan?

if nissan, fml.

2nd Dec '12

<blockquote><b>Quoting VAR's Mommy:</b>" civic or nissan? if nissan, fml."</blockquote>

Civic lol

2nd Dec '12
Quoting i made a vagina.:" <blockquote><b>Quoting VAR's Mommy:</b>" civic or nissan? if nissan, fml."</blockquote> Civic lol"

well damn, no wonder i pay $311 a month for insurance.

user banned SAN FRANCISCO, CA, United States 24574 posts
2nd Dec '12
Quoting VAR's Mommy:" get a pilot! and as for insurance, idk about that. i got quoted for the pathfinder i am getting in feb and it's $160 less/month than my civic is."

Yes!!! We just traded our Volvo in for a Pilot, it's about the same MPG's but way roomier. I wasn't 'in-love' at first, but it's growing on me...