4 sacs in pregnancy? Landon's Mommy *+2* Due October 20; 2 kids; 2 angel babies; Cincinnati, Ohio 14943 posts
4th Dec '12

*POSTING FOR A FRIEND*

My friend is currently 9w5d. She went to her doctor & had her first ultrasound done last week. They found 4 sacs but 1 viable pregnancy. (or at least that is what they said) She won't be able to go back until January 4th for her second ultrasound to make sure that the other sacs have "dissolved". She said her doctor referred to this as an "unknown phenomenon".

Has anyone ever dealt with this before or know someone who has??? What happened, if you don't mind sharing? Did the sacs disappear or were their twins that came from the pregnancy??

She's frustrated & at a loss of what to think right now. And with having to wait a whole month before she'll have actual answers..... just frustrating!

Thanks.

Nomo 4 kids; Mueang Phuket, Thailand 30487 posts
4th Dec '12

so weird. maybe she had twins that split into identical twins so concieved quads?
but only 1 actually stuck and the others are just reabsorbing? idk, i have never heard of it besides mulitple babies.

I'm His Amy He's My Rory 2 kids; Caldwell, Idaho 49251 posts
4th Dec '12

I'd tell her to get a second opinion.

~Tristan's Mama~ 19 weeks Due September 8; 1 child; Oregon 3466 posts
4th Dec '12
Quoting I'm His Amy He's My Rory:" I'd tell her to get a second opinion."

This!!!

Landon's Mommy *+2* Due October 20; 2 kids; 2 angel babies; Cincinnati, Ohio 14943 posts
4th Dec '12

She also just told me that all 4 of the sacs were separate. None of them were together at all.

Klaus 2 kids; Mississippi 23429 posts
status 4th Dec '12

That is what I was thinking. I would definitely get a second opinion for anything that was considered rare, unusual or unknown

Nikkie Beee Due January 29; 2 kids; Victorville, California 3968 posts
4th Dec '12

:!: Definitely!

Ashley Jean ♥ 34 kids; Dry Ridge, Kentucky 12391 posts
4th Dec '12

That's odd.... I'd get a second opinion, for sure.

4th Dec '12
Quoting Landon's Mommy *39wks*:" She also just told me that all 4 of the sacs were separate. None of them were together at all."

Well yeah, 2 sacs can't be together because then it'd just be one sac....

Landon's Mommy *+2* Due October 20; 2 kids; 2 angel babies; Cincinnati, Ohio 14943 posts
4th Dec '12
Quoting I'm His Amy He's My Rory:" Well yeah, 2 sacs can't be together because then it'd just be one sac...."

I'm just repeating what she just told me. lol

She's really frustrated with all of this.

4th Dec '12
Quoting ☮ Phuket:" so weird. maybe she had twins that split into identical twins so concieved quads? but only 1 actually stuck and the others are just reabsorbing? idk, i have never heard of it besides mulitple babies."

I think identicals share 1 sac though and that's how they know their identical? Or am I wrong there?

4th Dec '12
Quoting Landon's Mommy *39wks*:" I'm just repeating what she just told me. lol She's really frustrated with all of this."

Understandable. I'd definitely go to another doctor.

4th Dec '12
Quoting I'm His Amy He's My Rory:" Understandable. I'd definitely go to another doctor. "

That's what I am thinking as well.
She actually sees the old doctors I saw with my son..... and I hated them.

Zach&Evan&Jacob'sMom 99 kids; Fall Branch, Tennessee 48608 posts
4th Dec '12

I had an extra sac this pregnancy. It dissolved to look like a bruised spot. My OB said it was more than likely a twin that didn't form. I was 7 weeks when we seen it. It was dissolved by 11 weeks.

I would have her see another doctor for a second opinion though. Especially with 4 sacs like that. And the fact her doctor is having her wait a month. I could see a week or two, but not a month.

4th Dec '12
Quoting Landon's Mommy *39wks*:" That's what I am thinking as well. She actually sees the old doctors I saw with my son..... and I hated them."

I've gotten lucky. I found a really good doctor. I had to visit someone in his office while he was out of town though, and omg I HATED him. Dickhead was cracking jokes about my vagina and picked my phone up off the table and started playing with it without asking. GRRR. He said my vagina made him quake in his boots, and he's an OB/GYN.. Get a new job MF'er!